Home

Tips for Playing Quarterback

This is a discussion on Tips for Playing Quarterback within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #17
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Tips for Playing Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxattax3
INTs are not out of control on Heisman. Heisman just punishes stupid choices. I've found that 90% of the time AT LEAST 1 WR is open or has the chance to make a catch on EVERY play. Sometimes they are only open at the beginning of the play and it is easy to miss your chance. If your WRs are covered, throw it away or scramble. The poster saying INTs are out of control most likely doesnt throw the ball away or take sacks(which is sometimes your best choice). dont throw when your WR cuts...step up when you WR cuts then throw. all about the timing. OP...just practice you'll figure it out.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/562389

Take this play for instance, right when that Safety pulls to the right to cover WR on that crossing route the QB steps up and throws a high bullet to the outside WR.The QB already saw his WR had the DB beat and just waited for the safety to pull. After that it was just a matter of getting the ball over the LB's head(who also shifted because of another crossing route) hence the high pass. how do you throw a high bullet? step up hold up on the left thumbstick and fire a bullet. make sure to step up right when the WR cuts.
It seems complicated but its not as hard as playing QB in real life. I've been playing since release on Heisman and reading D just becomes second nature.

also this is MAC conference play so the defenders arent ridiculously good but its all relative. (If this was SEC the QB and WR would be better too)
I complete 80% of my passes and take around 3 sacks a game. Most of my INTs come from the LB super jump and the throws that end up going behind WR's on slants regardless of where you directionally throw.

I can limit INTs in a game if that was the only goal I had. You just use your money plays, run hot routes every play, overload one side of the field on most passes, and throw to HB's out of the backfield a ton. I just consider that kind of play to be cheating the AI and prefer to mix up the passing game as in real life. One thing I will admit is that I haven't studied and practiced every formation and playbook to the depth that I have in previous versions of the game. I'm sure that contributes to some INTs, but those are the ones I have no problem accepting.

Question for you though. In your video, the safety actually responds to the ball once it reaches his "area". I've been trying to find that kind of defensive reaction on a consistent basis since I'm seeing the super jum too often from LB/S, so let me know if it was just an isolated incident or you have a good slider set you can recommend. Nice to see another Temple user out there!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #18
Return of the Blake

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

dropdrop
Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I complete 80% of my passes and take around 3 sacks a game. Most of my INTs come from the LB super jump and the throws that end up going behind WR's on slants regardless of where you directionally throw.

Question for you though. In your video, the safety actually responds to the ball once it reaches his "area". I've been trying to find that kind of defensive reaction on a consistent basis since I'm seeing the super jum too often from LB/S, so let me know if it was just an isolated incident or you have a good slider set you can recommend. Nice to see another Temple user out there!
To limit the super jumping and/or warping of defenders to the ball, you need to drop the knockdown slider. The higher the knockdown slider, the more super jumping you will see and it also makes it harder to complete the deep ball. Drop it down a bunch and I guarantee you will see this aspect improve greatly. Some people assume a high knockdown slider helps eliminate picks but it actually does the opposite. It basically increases the area around a defender that he makes a play on.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #19
Banned

Laettner32's Arena

OVR: 28

The longball is my problem. I got the slants and outs, but any pass over 20 yards and every DB becomes Neon Deion and warps directly to the ball to either INT or knockdown. It's pretty frustrating, do QB's ever lead or overthrow their recievers? Mine ALWAYS seem to underthrow and get picked off, so I just rely on my slants and/or outs.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #20
Rookie

kindella2's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laettner32
The longball is my problem. I got the slants and outs, but any pass over 20 yards and every DB becomes Neon Deion and warps directly to the ball to either INT or knockdown. It's pretty frustrating, do QB's ever lead or overthrow their recievers? Mine ALWAYS seem to underthrow and get picked off, so I just rely on my slants and/or outs.
you may not be stepping up on the long throws...it does make a difference. if you step up un less the pass is inaccurate it should be too high for the DB and right on the mark.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6

have a hot read! I have been burned so many times with blitzes coming and I don't even see it. If you even think the D is blitzing, audible to a different play , like a slant or a screen. I'm still struggling cause sometimes i just don't know when to throw the ball away. And i'll roll back some more or i'll roll out of the pocket and look too long and the guy will close in on me and it's too late by that time to get rid of it. Also if you have certain go to plays and you have certain receivers who you know are open, but aren't open this time, make sure you know your playbook well enough to check off to the next best option. If all are covered tuck it and go with it, it's better then getting nothing. But if your in the shotgun, roll out and throw it away. Cause more then likely you will lose yards!

NBA Live...I got this!
Ncaa 2010 you don't want it!
Madden ...lets get it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #22
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow

I can limit INTs in a game if that was the only goal I had. You just use your money plays, run hot routes every play, overload one side of the field on most passes, and throw to HB's out of the backfield a ton. I just consider that kind of play to be cheating the AI and prefer to mix up the passing game as in real life. One thing I will admit is that I haven't studied and practiced every formation and playbook to the depth that I have in previous versions of the game. I'm sure that contributes to some INTs, but those are the ones I have no problem accepting.

We use default sliders.Its all about reading coverages.It starts with picking the right target. If youre timing is good on your WR cuts and you set your feet, underthrow is reduced. If youre getting picked at the line of scrimmage throwing over the middle or by LBs, only adivce i have is to step up in pocket and continue to hold up on the left thumbstick while you throw. I get picked off by every position on the field though, which is sort of weird but the numbers arent too high. If you establish a run game, or at least the threat of a run game, it makes PA passes a lot easier just like real life. Also, dont throw in running situations.

Go Owls!! ...and Horns!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »