Home

Slight Pylon Location Issue

This is a discussion on Slight Pylon Location Issue within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26
Slight Pylon Location Issue

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/575945

I didn't notice this until this play late in the 2nd quarter, but look at the pylon, it's about a yard into the end zone and a yard out of bounds. I didn't think it mattered really, except the game is programmed apparently to use the pylon as the length of the field, because I snapped the ball out of their end zone later in the game. I uploaded the picture, but I can't figure out where it went exactly...perhaps someone can help me with that too. I saved the play of it, but the replay doesnt start until a good second after the snap, and it's not as definitive that I was snapping with basically the entire ball past the goal line.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Slight Pylon Location Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarich
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/575945

I didn't notice this until this play late in the 2nd quarter, but look at the pylon, it's about a yard into the end zone and a yard out of bounds. I didn't think it mattered really, except the game is programmed apparently to use the pylon as the length of the field, because I snapped the ball out of their end zone later in the game. I uploaded the picture, but I can't figure out where it went exactly...perhaps someone can help me with that too. I saved the play of it, but the replay doesnt start until a good second after the snap, and it's not as definitive that I was snapping with basically the entire ball past the goal line.
The game doesn't exactly use the pylons to determine that, but the pylons are set on the boundaries automatically. The problem is the field is incorrectly placed in the stadium .

At one point in the dev cycle every stadium's field was misplaced. We went through and fixed them all but apparently one fell through the cracks.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26

ok, I'm still slightly confused. Here's the photo

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/photo/575985

The entire ball was across the end zone line although it's been snapped already, but you can still tell, but I'm behind the pylon when the play starts... So are you saying that particular field is too small then? Because the pylons were a yard into the end zone and a yard out of bounds on both sides, not a yard into the end zone on one side and at the 1 yard line on the other side, so if the pylons are located the correct distance from eachother, then Ball State's field is a yard shorter in every direction? thusly, you could be running on the out of bounds line on the sideline, but not get called out of bounds?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarich
ok, I'm still slightly confused. Here's the photo

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/photo/575985

The entire ball was across the end zone line although it's been snapped already, but you can still tell, but I'm behind the pylon when the play starts... So are you saying that particular field is too small then? Because the pylons were a yard into the end zone and a yard out of bounds on both sides, not a yard into the end zone on one side and at the 1 yard line on the other side, so if the pylons are located the correct distance from eachother, then Ball State's field is a yard shorter in every direction? thusly, you could be running on the out of bounds line on the sideline, but not get called out of bounds?
No.. the field is the right size, just not positioned correctly. You notice that the ball is almost a yard in the endzone... on the other side of the field, you will be able to score almost a yard before the endzone.

Ugh.. I thought we fixed all these! It gets so frustrating as something like this always seems to slip through because we have so many teams and stadiums in the game.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

So basically the field is just a texture and there are some behind the scenes stuff that tells the game the actual boundaries?

My Video Game Streams
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Isn't that common sense? I mean, i'm not a programmer, but how else would they do it...?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Not sure. Just really isn't something you think about it.

My Video Game Streams
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

pylons are over-rated.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »