Home

No updates from OMT, etc. on NCAA 2010?

This is a discussion on No updates from OMT, etc. on NCAA 2010? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #33
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: No updates from OMT, etc. on NCAA 2010?

What sells the most games? Graphics? New features? Does the sport of college football sell itself? Just curious as to what part of the game might bring in the most sales?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #34
stewaat

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
What sells the most games? Graphics? New features? Does the sport of college football sell itself? Just curious as to what part of the game might bring in the most sales?
I'll take a stab at this...

Finding the right mix to appeal to everyone. It's not going to be sim, it's not going to be arcade (just as much as people claim it is), and it's not going to be perfect.

Most of us roaming the NCAA boards are the college football fiends and we need our "fix". This is our only option (to the "fiends" not buying a college football game isn't an option!).

Soze - you are always very open and blunt with your responses to everyone, so Adam it wasn't hostility. Adam wasn't hostile back...when can people just chill and not point fingers.

The game is what it is right now. Like it, love it, hate it...no need in beating a dead horse.

Adam, please continue to keep us in the loop and stay active. I hope that when you are allowed to speak of the next version you will do so.

Oh and please drag a game programmer in here with you!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
I think the frustration you get with telling whether or not sliders work is similar to what goes on when tuning the game. You can't make a change, run a couple plays, and know it is good. You have to run hundreds of plays at least.

I'm not saying AI wouldn't be a big feature. Tuning? No, not a big feature. Overhaul? New system? Yeah, big feature.
Adam, I can't tell if you are addressing me when you say you can't tell anything by testing sliders by running a few plays and then tweaking. Believe me I understand this. You have no idea how many games I run when testing sliders.

But check out the FG power slider for example. Turn it to 0 power and the AI can still kick 55 yard "non wind aided FG's". FG power of 0 should make a 25 yarder a chore.

Take INT slider, turn it to 0 and guys can still make interceptions.

But the awareness slider is even more important. I have played multiple dynasty season with it at 100 and just thrashed the AI. This wasn't possible on the PS2 version prior to 2008 when the pursuit angles were inexplicably destroyed. The AI at 100 was given a significant speed boost and boosts in other areas.

I can actually tell within 15 minutes or so if a slider is generally working or not. Take RB ability for example. You crank it up, the RB gets faster, you put it to 0, he wears cement shoes. Great it works, now it takes many plays to get to the perfect number that suits me. I'm ok with that.

As far as running plays, money plays take some time to discover, I'll give you that. But once you find a play that works well, just go into practice and see if a defensive play that should prevent it from worrking does just that. It takes a little time, but I'm ok with that too.

Can you get someone to explain their intention of what these sliders should do. It might help, but I've read that an EA rep said the knockdown slider only controls the D-lines ability to knockdown passes and I've found that to be incorrect. So I am not even sure if the programmers know what their own sliders do.

My observation is that the testers are either instructed to look for specific glitches and don't test for things like money plays or if sliders work, or if they are just incompetent to know what to look for.

OS as a community, myself definitely included, would be willing to give EA hundreds of hours of FREE game testing. You can choose to take it or not, that is EA's choice. But when things like the aformentioned FG power slider simply do not work and we recognize that in a matter of moments, it really makes it look like the QC on this game is mediocre at best. I've pretty much bought every EA NCAA game since Bill Walsh as well as many other EA games. Probably spent thousands on EA games and even worse, spent more hours testing sliders than I care to admit. All I want is for you guys to deliver the best product possible and its frustrating when it appears that I put more effort into making the game enjoyable than you guys do. And yes, Irealize I'm not the target audience, but I do represent a sale and as a long time paying customer I voice my opinion as I do with other products I spend alot oftime and money with.

Thanks again for fielding these questions and posts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
I think the frustration you get with telling whether or not sliders work is similar to what goes on when tuning the game. You can't make a change, run a couple plays, and know it is good. You have to run hundreds of plays at least.

I'm not saying AI wouldn't be a big feature. Tuning? No, not a big feature. Overhaul? New system? Yeah, big feature.
Tuning can't we tune? If we had a complete set of sliders? That was always great about PC games was the ability to go into a tune file and change specific items like speed, ball trajectory etc....

Anyway my suggestion to the big monolith known as EA is to make sports games like MMORPG. We pay a subscription each month and you make the game better with frequent patches and additions. I think this would help to end what I think is a faulty development cycle!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #37
MVP

OVR: 9

I would think there would be a way to test whether or not the sliders work without having to run hundreds of plays. I don't think they affect many of the attributes. Is there absolutely no way to see what they do to the attributes without playing the game for hours?

But if not, for goodness sake, run hundreds of plays. It's worth it. Hire some willing guy from here to do it, and lock him in a room with donuts and mountain dew for a day. Guarantee you will get good results.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
Tuning can't we tune? If we had a complete set of sliders? That was always great about PC games was the ability to go into a tune file and change specific items like speed, ball trajectory etc....

Anyway my suggestion to the big monolith known as EA is to make sports games like MMORPG. We pay a subscription each month and you make the game better with frequent patches and additions. I think this would help to end what I think is a faulty development cycle!
I would hate that MMORPG idea for NCAA. But I don't like MMORPG's anyway.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:27 AM   #39
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11

Hopefully create a school made the list this year.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 AM   #40
Pro

Squeezee12's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
Hopefully create a school made the list this year.
I agree even if its not totally detailed like i hope it will become on next gen. Some sort of create of school would be great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »