Home

Dear EA Sports: Let us cover rule #1 of videogames

This is a discussion on Dear EA Sports: Let us cover rule #1 of videogames within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17
Dear EA Sports: Let us cover rule #1 of videogames

Rule #1: The game should always do what I(emphasis on I) command it to do.

This is something that really bothers me in this game and has cost me games, and big plays at key points in games.

Lets say I've got a 3rd and 15, and I'm running a dig route(a simple up and in over the middle) with my main outside receiver. I NEED that 15 yards for a first down. Now I've got a TE(or whomever) who's running a 2-3 yd route over the middle and he just stops. I press the button to pass to my WR who's running over the middle, and all of a sudden, my TE(or whoever) jumps up and snags the ball out of the air. So now this:

A. Disorients me for a second b/c I'm looking focused solely on my WR(and any near DB's) running across the middle, and then all of a sudden the ball is yanked down(and the screen changes position) by someone I'm not even looking at. In that second I'm not controlling him b/c I dont know who has the ball...

B. Screws up my chance at getting a first down, because the TE(or whoever) is going to have to travel another 10-12 yds after the catch. Which probably isnt going to happen given the initial delay it takes to me figure out whats going on(combined with the time it takes me to roll my eyes and curse silently in my head).

C. This also happens when a offensive linemen goes too far down field, and I'll throw the ball to my receiver and it will hit him in the back, and fall for an incomplete pass. Is this not a penalty?

D. This happening late in a close game affects the outcome of the game. Not acceptable to me. I'm sure others will agree.

Now, I'm all for teammates helping out, and if a teammate of mine wants to grab at a ball after it's been deflected or batted around, great! BUT, when I throw to "O", I want the ball to go to "O", I dont want "X" to jump up and snag it out of the air. I'd rather get intercepted while throwing to "O" than have the game do something I did not command it to do.

Don't mean to sound rude, but this ticks me off terribly...

Last edited by stoncold32; 09-28-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Dear EA Sports: Let us cover rule #1 of videogames

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
Rule #1: The game should always do what I(emphasis on I) command it to do.

This is something that really bothers me in this game and has cost me games, and big plays at key points in games.

Lets say I've got a 3rd and 15, and I'm running a dig route(a simple up and in over the middle) with my main outside receiver. I NEED that 15 yards for a first down. Now I've got a TE(or whomever) who's running a 2-3 yd route over the middle and he just stops. I press the button to pass to my WR who's running over the middle, and all of a sudden, my TE(or whoever) jumps up and snags the ball out of the air. So now this:

A. Disorients me for a second b/c I'm looking focused solely on my WR(and any near DB's) running across the middle, and then all of a sudden the ball is yanked down(and the screen changes position) by someone I'm not even looking at. In that second I'm not controlling him b/c I dont know who has the ball...

B. Screws up my chance at getting a first down, because the TE(or whoever) is going to have to travel another 10-12 yds after the catch. Which probably isnt going to happen given the initial delay it takes to me figure out whats going on.

C. This also happens when a offensive linemen goes too far down field, and I'll throw the ball to my receiver and it will hit him in the back, and fall for an incomplete pass. Is this not a penalty?

D. This happening late in a close game affects the outcome of the game. Not acceptable to me. I'm sure others will agree.

Now, I'm all for teammates helping out, and if a teammate of mine wants to grab at a ball after it's been deflected or batted around, great! BUT, when I throw to "O", I want the ball to go to "O", I dont want "X" to jump up and snag it out of the air. I'd rather get intercepted while throwing to "O" than have the game do something I did not command it to do.

Don't mean to sound rude, but this ticks me off terribly...
happens to em all the time. the main reason i stopped running screens. their are 3 main penalties that arent in this game

illegal touching (receiver goes out of bounds and comes back in for a catch)
ineligible receiver down field
block in the back! the most frustrating of them all.

and on heisman the cpu takes advantage of all three which is why i dont play heisman. just all american with some superbly tweaked sliders

Old 09-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

Happens in real life... a reciever will try and catch a ball not intended for him but thrown near him so its pretty realistic.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
stewaat

OVR:

I agree with your rule but not the example. Miscommunication happens. Under routes disrupt deep routes when they are run incorrectly.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

I dont think it is programmed into the game, I think it's just a glitch. And how many times have you guys seen this happen in crucial situations in real life? I've never seen it....

Especially when I'm throwing the ball with some loft on it to get it over a LB in the middle; it's obvious its not meant for my player playing underneath. But he just jumps way up in the air and catches it anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
I dont think it is programmed into the game, I think it's just a glitch. And how many times have you guys seen this happen in crucial situations in real life? I've never seen it....

Especially when I'm throwing the ball with some loft on it to get it over a LB in the middle; it's obvious its not meant for my player playing underneath. But he just jumps way up in the air and catches it anyway.
Some of it has to do with the trajectory of the QB's passes and bs springboard leaping ability of the LB's and DB's as well. When you're passing against a zone or whatever, and it's at least 10-15 yds downfield you're not going to throw it low enough to where someone 5 yds away can snag it. Especially when there are players underneath. It's both things, players leap unrealistically and passes either are rocket launched straight up or too flat. Some passes are right but it's rare.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

It has to do with the game looking in 3 dimensions, but the players play in 2 dimensions. This is something EA hasn't gotten right since they started making football video games. This is why LB's can be 10 yards away from where the ball is going to land and they can still jump 20 ft. in the air to knock down the pass.

Though I played the Devil's Advocate in another thread about screen passes, I really do believe they are cheesey. If you throw down field on a screen pass in real life like many do on this game, there would be a flag every play for illegal receiver down field. Also, if there was some type of pass rush the QB would be sacked. There just isn't enough time on a screen pass for the QB to throw the ball down field.

EA really needs to be enlightened on football knowledge.

Last edited by heavy_hitter; 09-29-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Pro

GoToledo's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
Some of it has to do with the trajectory of the QB's passes and bs springboard leaping ability of the LB's and DB's as well. When you're passing against a zone or whatever, and it's at least 10-15 yds downfield you're not going to throw it low enough to where someone 5 yds away can snag it. Especially when there are players underneath. It's both things, players leap unrealistically and passes either are rocket launched straight up or too flat. Some passes are right but it's rare.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sideshow Bob

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »