Home

Defensively Speaking...

This is a discussion on Defensively Speaking... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Rookie

dre1919's Arena

OVR: 2
Defensively Speaking...

I cannot figure out what's up with NCAA 2009. I'm playing Notre Dame in my Online Dynasty, and they don't have the best athletes starting out as say, Ohio State. But seriously...I cannot do two things consistently. One, get any pressure on the QB and Two, stop anything over the middle. What's up with that? I've been playing this franchise since the first copy of it and this year's game (on the PS3) is much harder to do individual control of a player, so rushing the QB is very difficult. As is taking a player and stalking the middle of the field. I handle the run, the out routes and the flats fine...it's just these two issues that are keeping my defense from being stellar. Anybody got some advice? I've been looking through lots of forums and lots of threads.

I realize zone blows in this year's game (a shame, really), and I realize that having better players also helps. But are there any really good (versus really bad) formations to use? What defends the middle of the field against passing? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Andrew
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Defensively Speaking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre1919

I realize zone blows in this year's game (a shame, really), and I realize that having better players also helps. But are there any really good (versus really bad) formations to use? What defends the middle of the field against passing? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Andrew
Defense in general sucks this year. I will also give you a hint.... Zones are the best defenses to play this year. Play a lot of coverage and drop 8, 9, or even 10 players.

Man to Man defenses are horrendous on this game and are basically useless. The only reason to run man is if you are blitzing to stop the run.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

Zone is great this year, if you are playing a user. Against CPU you have to call man coverage w/ safety help...at least 2 deep in a zone always. Try calling lots of nickel man cover 2 and dime man cover2. the 3-4 is BS in this game. LBs cannot cover WRs or get pressure so there is really no point in giving up a lineman or DB for an extra LB.

Make sure you jump snap and use the right thumbstick to guess pass/rush. I always guess pass...

just use 4-3 or 4-2-5...could always use multiple D also...but stay away from everything else.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxattax3
Zone is great this year, if you are playing a user. Against CPU you have to call man coverage w/ safety help...at least 2 deep in a zone always. Try calling lots of nickel man cover 2 and dime man cover2. the 3-4 is BS in this game. LBs cannot cover WRs or get pressure so there is really no point in giving up a lineman or DB for an extra LB.

Make sure you jump snap and use the right thumbstick to guess pass/rush. I always guess pass...

just use 4-3 or 4-2-5...could always use multiple D also...but stay away from everything else.

This is true. Against the CPU man is the best coverage against humans zones are the best coverage. Against the CPU just call a man defense and send 6 guys at the QB with no deep coverage with press coverage. The CPU AI sucks and will never throw deep.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Rookie

capone2117's Arena

OVR: 4

Your two gripes will continue to hurt you no matter what sliders you play with, so that is out of the option. Unfortunately, there is no true way of stopping this. But, that is what makes the game fun. It is about time that the CPU can generate offense, whether or not they continue to go up the middle.
I would say try running zones with the linebackers dropping over the middle. Before each snap, move them back about 4 to 5 yards, so that their depth of the zone is that much further back. This helps eliminate those holes over the middle. Also try running with one more DB than receiver. They have 3 WRs on the field, you have four DBs. They go 5 wide, you go quarters, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Rookie

dre1919's Arena

OVR: 2

Thanks guys, I've already seen great improvements!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hitter
This is true. Against the CPU man is the best coverage against humans zones are the best coverage. Against the CPU just call a man defense and send 6 guys at the QB with no deep coverage with press coverage. The CPU AI sucks and will never throw deep.
With my new sliders the cpu go deep early and often. I gave up a 65 yard bomb to Oregon yesterday. It was amazing but it pissed me off! lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »