Home

Speed of the Game (long)

This is a discussion on Speed of the Game (long) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:47 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Speed of the Game (long)

Speed difference is horrible in this game good post. They need to make it better.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 14

See, the 360 cannot reach the same frame rate as was seen on the PS2 and Original Xbox. They mask the frame rate issue by running frames slower, and the result is game action feels telegraphed, not live like 08 on Original Xbox.

This is basically the main reason why I stay on the Original Xbox for my college football fix.

It's not something they can just easily "fix". Everytime you add something like a formation subs interface to the pause menu, or something like that, that's just gunna make the game engine that much more "bulkier" and "weighed down".

Some people mentioned that in terms of 09 on 360, it looked fast in early builds, but then "slowed down" when videos were released of the "final version".

This is likely due to the fact that in that early build, the interface of the game wasn't finished. EA is forced to keep interface light (like dynasty mode compared to last-gen) as a consequence of the tremendous graphical prowess of the game.

EA should have done further research on the 360 and PS3 before releasing football games for it. This is a problem, not to mention how these games may be hazardous to one's health, much moreso than the PS2 and Original Xbox versions. Those games are rewarding and easy for me to play for long periods of time.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU_DW2
It's not something they can just easily "fix". Everytime you add something like a formation subs interface to the pause menu, or something like that, that's just gunna make the game engine that much more "bulkier" and "weighed down".

Some people mentioned that in terms of 09 on 360, it looked fast in early builds, but then "slowed down" when videos were released of the "final version".

This is likely due to the fact that in that early build, the interface of the game wasn't finished. EA is forced to keep interface light (like dynasty mode compared to last-gen) as a consequence of the tremendous graphical prowess of the game.
I'm not a programmer but I fail to see how an interface will affect the framerate. Adding animated crowds, players on the sidelines, potentially chain gangs and refs would contribute to frame rate problems. But a menu system isn't running while you are playing. I just don't see how that would hog any memory. Please elaborate if you have any programming experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'm not a programmer but I fail to see how an interface will affect the framerate. Adding animated crowds, players on the sidelines, potentially chain gangs and refs would contribute to frame rate problems. But a menu system isn't running while you are playing. I just don't see how that would hog any memory. Please elaborate if you have any programming experience.
Because the interface is within the breadth of the infinite loop. It is in active memory during gameplay because when you press start, it has to pop up automatically with one button press.

On PS2 and Original Xbox, the system was much more stable. They were able to do things like the manual L + R replay post play before the playcall screen pops up.

It all runs without a hitch on the Original Xbox in NCAA Football 08.

That's the kind of gaming that I want to play.

Not bulky 360 and PS3 games with mamouth textures but telegraphed gameplay instead of the highlight real crowd pleasing moves seen in the 08 version on the PS2 and Original Xbox...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

If you've played the game for a day you can see the speed cheats that are in there. Simply put, an 85 spd LB is not as fast as an 85spd HB. Run a play where 2 players are matched up that have the exact same speed and a relatively close accelleration rating.

On a run play you will beat that LB to the corner. On a pass play, forget about it. Your HB will come out of the break (if there is one) much faster that than LB and he will always be trailing him.

They need to fix that this as well as that terrible "catch-up" animation. The one where you throw a crossing pattern and it looks like you're gonna overthrow him only to see your WR speed up unrealistically to make the catch. This animation is BS on so many levels. Not only does it create YAC but it affects the QB completion % and makes it harder for the defenses to get off the field. You add that with the unfair speed cheat and you have the main culprit in your "Wide-Open Gameplay"
Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
If you've played the game for a day you can see the speed cheats that are in there. Simply put, an 85 spd LB is not as fast as an 85spd HB. Run a play where 2 players are matched up that have the exact same speed and a relatively close accelleration rating.

On a run play you will beat that LB to the corner. On a pass play, forget about it. Your HB will come out of the break (if there is one) much faster that than LB and he will always be trailing him.

They need to fix that this as well as that terrible "catch-up" animation. The one where you throw a crossing pattern and it looks like you're gonna overthrow him only to see your WR speed up unrealistically to make the catch. This animation is BS on so many levels. Not only does it create YAC but it affects the QB completion % and makes it harder for the defenses to get off the field. You add that with the unfair speed cheat and you have the main culprit in your "Wide-Open Gameplay"

PREACH BROTHER!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez

This is only a problem in online PvP play because EA's default sliders are absolutely horrendous.

If anyone here is still complaining about this against the CPU, then it is your fault for being uninformed. The control is in your hands to remove the default speed gap.

If you had HUM RBA at 0 and CPU TKL at 100, you would be complaining about the complete opposite problem.

There are so many things legitimately wrong with this game that I get annoyed to see complaints and suggestions about changes that are already in the user's control.

The bottom line to me is that NCAA 09 is simply not a good game if you're an online PvP gamer or someone who does not use the tools at your disposal (sliders/settings). If you are one of the above, I don't really even know why you still have/play the game... it's flat out horrible on default settings.

Hopefully EA actually tries next year to balance their own game on default settings because it cripples a large portion of their userbase.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #16
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
This is only a problem in online PvP play because EA's default sliders are absolutely horrendous.

If anyone here is still complaining about this against the CPU, then it is your fault for being uninformed. The control is in your hands to remove the default speed gap.

If you had HUM RBA at 0 and CPU TKL at 100, you would be complaining about the complete opposite problem.

There are so many things legitimately wrong with this game that I get annoyed to see complaints and suggestions about changes that are already in the user's control.

The bottom line to me is that NCAA 09 is simply not a good game if you're an online PvP gamer or someone who does not use the tools at your disposal (sliders/settings). If you are one of the above, I don't really even know why you still have/play the game... it's flat out horrible on default settings.

Hopefully EA actually tries next year to balance their own game on default settings because it cripples a large portion of their userbase.
I can agree with this. However, because the AI is so stupid, particularly in terms of playcalling and making adjustments to what the user is doing, offline mode isn't much better. You can't get a strategically challenging game similar to what you'd get in a PvP experience. All that you can do is pump the AI up so that it can cheat in order to make the game more difficult.

The game not only needs better tuning on the default sliders for PvP online play, but it also needs to have some serious improvements in terms of adaptive AI, so that the computer is more fun to play against.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »