Home

Opinions on the Option

This is a discussion on Opinions on the Option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17
Opinions on the Option

Is the option cheese in this game like it was last year? I'm basically trying to figure out whether if I go online with an option team like GT will I be cheesing, is it too easy to run Do you always execute a perfect pitch even with 2 defenders draped all over you and the RB is 5-10 yards away from you? What are the drawbacks (i.e. do they fumble the pitch often enough).

The option seems like fun but I might have to house rule it out if the regular players/veterans think it is cheese.

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Opinions on the Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyCane
Is the option cheese in this game like it was last year? I'm basically trying to figure out whether if I go online with an option team like GT will I be cheesing, is it too easy to run Do you always execute a perfect pitch even with 2 defenders draped all over you and the RB is 5-10 yards away from you? What are the drawbacks (i.e. do they fumble the pitch often enough).

The option seems like fun but I might have to house rule it out if the regular players/veterans think it is cheese.
If you have the right sliders in place, its not cheese. But if you recruit solely based on speed, it will get cheesy pretty quick.

On Heisman with RBA between 25 and 40 based on you liking and RB at 0, I wouldn't call it cheesy. I can put up a few hundred yards a game, but haven't touched the 400+ they racked up against Miami.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 15

if you have the right settings/sliders in effect, the option is definitely NOT cheese. Against the CPU, you will see a loss on the play or your running back stopped for no gain more often than the running back breaking it for a big play. I use the option maybe twice a game, and typically get 3-7 yards out of it. Occasionally you get lucky and will bust a fifty yard touchdown run however.

MLB: Detroit Tigers
NCAAFB: Michigan Wolverines
NFL: New York Giants/Detroit Lions
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA: Detroit Pistons
NCAABB: Oakland University Golden Grizzlies

Old 11-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

OVR: 16

Does anyone else see their RB stop when the QB pitches him the ball? Its like he gathers the pitch, hesitates, then accelerates

Old 11-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

While not cheese, the option may be the simplest offense to run on this game. That is saying a lot considering that most offenses are pretty easy to run.

IMO, the option is a no skill offense. You don't have to do much to make it work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

I don't think the option is cheesy, and I think it's actually harder to execute now than it used to be. Much more than in pro football, speed quarterbacks and running backs can exploit college defenses. The reason the option doesn't work in the pros is that a football field is only so big, and pro athletes on every defense are fast enough (and well coached enough) to maintain lateral pursuit and shut down an option. Plus, running the option in the NFL would get your QB routinely creamed by roided up lineman and linebackers.

It's actually much harder in the current NCAA games to evade people in space than it used to be. The juke buttons used to lunge guys like 3 yards to the left or right, but now there's a lag, and the effect is much more subtle.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young J 334
Does anyone else see their RB stop when the QB pitches him the ball? Its like he gathers the pitch, hesitates, then accelerates
yea thats happened to me before, always when he has like thirty yards of green in front of him and the hesitation costs me a huge gain. More often, the QB will get hit when he pitches and the pitch will be way behind the RB, but the RB somehow makes a ridiculous catch on the pitch and gets like 50 yards.

The option is cheese, in my opinion, if you use it more than 2-3 times a game, or use it twice in a row.

MLB: Detroit Tigers
NCAAFB: Michigan Wolverines
NFL: New York Giants/Detroit Lions
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA: Detroit Pistons
NCAABB: Oakland University Golden Grizzlies

Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31

It isn't cheese at all. I don't run the option, but I think it is implemented in the game enough to make it similar to real life. Sure, every once in a while a big play is broken, but if your decent enough at defense you can shut down the average player running the option quite easily.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »