Home

The option is broken: would EA fix it? (long)

This is a discussion on The option is broken: would EA fix it? (long) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: The option is broken: would EA fix it? (long)

man, this taught me more about the option than i ever knew,
the option is too easy to use on this game though, because of the bad angles the D takes,

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #26
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrice25
man, this taught me more about the option than i ever knew,
the option is too easy to use on this game though, because of the bad angles the D takes,
Good, I'm glad you and others are learning more about the option.

You are correct in that the D takes some horrific angles, but if you play at Heisman with Computer Defensive AI set high and your own run block/RB ability low the option becomes useless because of the poorly implemented blocking scheme.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #27
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I hope that along with triple option schemes comes defensive schemes and assignments to stop it.

Many 4-3 teams run go to a 4-4 to stop the option and put the DE on the dive, the ILB on the alley, the OLB slow plays the QB, while the FS takes the pitch. Pretty successful if you have a talented FS and the option FB isn't that great.

Other teams stay in base 4-3 and play the Mike over the top on the pitch and plays a hard Cover 2 with the corner to funnel it inside.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 31

Good post except for the bitching and moaning (doesn't really help). Until EA changes the way line blocking then all this is pointless.

The things that were not mentioned that EA needs to implement.

1) Line splits are too tight for any wishbone, flexbone option attack. This is key to creating lanes and making the triple option work.

2) A true triple option first options a DT (with the FB) then a DE/OLB (QB/Pitch man). There are various plays that build on this from a load option (RB lead blocks on DE/OLB) Counter option (QB rides FB dive weak, reverse pivots opposite with pitch man).

3) Chop blocks on weak side. Every coach complains about this but it is key to stopping weak side flow. With the wide line splits the backside T and G dive into the gap to chop DT.

4) Any option attack is called at the line of scrimmage. I think NCAA does this well but for total control you need to be able to run a play left or right at anytime. This is called at the line of scrimmage by most teams.

The reason the wishbone went out of style is because of the 4-4 defense was created to stop it. Wishbone was designed to attack the 5-2 defense. Four man fronts meant that the center had to get to the middle linebacker.

Also I hear everyone say speed stops the option....NO....discipline stops the option. Speed hurts a defense against the option.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #29
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
Good post except for the bitching and moaning (doesn't really help). Until EA changes the way line blocking then all this is pointless.

The things that were not mentioned that EA needs to implement.

1) Line splits are too tight for any wishbone, flexbone option attack. This is key to creating lanes and making the triple option work.

2) A true triple option first options a DT (with the FB) then a DE/OLB (QB/Pitch man). There are various plays that build on this from a load option (RB lead blocks on DE/OLB) Counter option (QB rides FB dive weak, reverse pivots opposite with pitch man).

3) Chop blocks on weak side. Every coach complains about this but it is key to stopping weak side flow. With the wide line splits the backside T and G dive into the gap to chop DT.

4) Any option attack is called at the line of scrimmage. I think NCAA does this well but for total control you need to be able to run a play left or right at anytime. This is called at the line of scrimmage by most teams.

The reason the wishbone went out of style is because of the 4-4 defense was created to stop it. Wishbone was designed to attack the 5-2 defense. Four man fronts meant that the center had to get to the middle linebacker.

Also I hear everyone say speed stops the option....NO....discipline stops the option. Speed hurts a defense against the option.
I agree most of what you said except #3. Triple option plays are rarely called at the line of scrimmage at the collegiate level. If a O-Coordinator calls the play one way, he is trying to either get the ball to the field or boundary to take advantage of the coverage or a team's backside responsibility's (for instance in a 4-4 a if a play caller sees that the backside LB has dive responsibilities, he might go his way to prevent the slot from having to seal block him).
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I agree most of what you said except #3. Triple option plays are rarely called at the line of scrimmage at the collegiate level. If a O-Coordinator calls the play one way, he is trying to either get the ball to the field or boundary to take advantage of the coverage or a team's backside responsibility's (for instance in a 4-4 a if a play caller sees that the backside LB has dive responsibilities, he might go his way to prevent the slot from having to seal block him).
In my experience most teams stack to the wide side of the field. Sometimes they will over commit so the QB needs to be audible to run a triple option (or any core play) at all times. I know the coaches who I have heard speak have always said they simply call in the play the QB runs it to the direction depending on defensive alignment. A simple pre-snap read.

I know back in the 80's-90's when a lot of teams were running the wishbone I remember that I was always told that controlling the wide side of the field was always the key to stopping the triple option. Hence the need to call direction at the line of scrimmage.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 AM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Many 4-3 teams run go to a 4-4 to stop the option and put the DE on the dive, the ILB on the alley, the OLB slow plays the QB, while the FS takes the pitch. Pretty successful if you have a talented FS and the option FB isn't that great.
Yup, if you watch the Georgia Tech-Georgia clips in the original post you'll notice that Georgia lines up in a 4-4. Unfortunately for Georgia, they get their pants yanked down because of lack of discipline on their part and great execution on GT's part.

In the second clip you'll notice the non-motioning A-Back (#36, Luke Cox) race down the field and cream the FS. When in the game do you ever see a play (option or otherwise) where a player isn't blocking straight ahead? Sure, you've got a pulling guard on occasion, but even that doesn't work properly.

Regardless of option blocking, it'd be nice to see a TE seal block or a pulling guard race downfield to take out a safety instead of standing around numbly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #32
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
In my experience most teams stack to the wide side of the field. Sometimes they will over commit so the QB needs to be audible to run a triple option (or any core play) at all times. I know the coaches who I have heard speak have always said they simply call in the play the QB runs it to the direction depending on defensive alignment. A simple pre-snap read.

I know back in the 80's-90's when a lot of teams were running the wishbone I remember that I was always told that controlling the wide side of the field was always the key to stopping the triple option. Hence the need to call direction at the line of scrimmage.
Teams don't overcommit to the field so much anymore(they may shade a S or a LB), but normally to the formation strength--usually to the side the TE is on. There isn't a lot of mystery to how teams want to play the option, so normally the call at the line of scrimmage is less important than to a regular, pro-style offense.
-Rocky Balboa

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »