Home

The option is broken: would EA fix it? (long)

This is a discussion on The option is broken: would EA fix it? (long) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: The option is broken: would EA fix it? (long)

I am a Ga Southern grad (where Paul Johnson first made a name for himself) and the poster who started this thread hit the nail on the head. The way that the game is set up now it is almost impossible to run the triple option. You can get the FB dive to work and you can run some 2 man option with the QB and FB. But that is about it.

If you want to see the TO in it's finest, check out the 1999 1-AA title game. Paul Johnson's Ga Southern Eagles vs Jim Tressel's Youngstown St Penguins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOhsz...eature=related

Check out the 3:00 mark if you want to see one of the best college football runs that you have probably never seen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #42
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

all of this is great.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #43
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

I'd love to hear EA Gameplay Dude reply to this...

Russell?

Oh Ruuuuuusssseeeellll?

Need some input from you on this fella.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #44
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsueagle23
I am a Ga Southern grad (where Paul Johnson first made a name for himself) and the poster who started this thread hit the nail on the head. The way that the game is set up now it is almost impossible to run the triple option. You can get the FB dive to work and you can run some 2 man option with the QB and FB. But that is about it.

If you want to see the TO in it's finest, check out the 1999 1-AA title game. Paul Johnson's Ga Southern Eagles vs Jim Tressel's Youngstown St Penguins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOhsz...eature=related

Check out the 3:00 mark if you want to see one of the best college football runs that you have probably never seen.
That run was magnificent! Damn! He just chucked that DB towards the end. Hilarious. I think I have seen that before somewhere (probably on YouTube).
Old 04-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
That run was magnificent! Damn! He just chucked that DB towards the end. Hilarious. I think I have seen that before somewhere (probably on YouTube).
Everytime a RB throws your guy to the ground me and my friends go "You just got AP'd"! Because it looks just like what he did to that guy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 12

I love how no developers have commented on this. LOL.

Great post btw.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steebu

You will NEVER see any of his teams line up in the wishbone. EVER.

To be a jerk....

Navy/Notre Dame, 2007

http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2007...58266899916666

Go down down down until you see the videos of that game, and then go to "Second half, Drive One"
8th play they have a freeze play that they motion both A-Backs into the backfield for a wishbone look

So, they've lined up in a wishbone once and didn't even run a play.

But you're obviously correct, they do not run a wishbone attack and I think it speaks volumes about how (a) unimportant realistically capturing the game of football is to the people that make NCAA,
or, (b) how little they cared about Navy/Georgia Tech/etc.

Another play that'd be nice, IF they could run it correctly, is the Speed/FB Counter Option/whatever you want to call it, that PJ uses a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLwz-I2QOE

Here they run it away from the Trips side and the pulling guard logs the end. It's one of those plays that is usually a pitch, if only because the QB generally is taught to attack outside instead of inside shoulder of the pitch key.

I guess this should be in the flexbone thread though
Old 04-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #48
Rookie

Hoovie's Arena

OVR: 3

I played HS football on a team that won two Texas 5A state titles in the 90s using a true wishbone. The OP couldn't be more spot on about the blocking schemes employed.

That said, please don't remove the wishbone from the game just because GT/Johnson doesn't use it. I use Temples playbook simply because it allows me to use the wishbone at times (however broken it is) and then go into a spread, or an I for that matter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »