Home

I owe EA an apology. Perhaps not so dumb.

This is a discussion on I owe EA an apology. Perhaps not so dumb. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
I owe EA an apology. Perhaps not so dumb.

I've been thinking of posting this for a while and just haven't gotten around to it. These are just random thoughts.

Pre patch---- Score fest, No defense, bad play , ......however, this was pretty much as advertised "wide open gameplay". Newbs (new to the game) could pick it up and not really know any of the little things in the game of football and just have fun.

^ To the people who do know football, all of it's in's and out's and live ,breath, and work all year for college football, the above pre-patch addition was horrible. (worse)

Two months later, we got the second patch, and while I cannot speak for everyone, to me, it was totaly different game. Much better. Not perfect, but better. So I had a thought, maybe ea isn't so dumb. Pre-patch for newbs...post patch for hard core.

Something else that I don't think is ever taken into consideration with this sim.....sliders.....etc.......is the progression of dynasty.

Let's say your just an average player, decent stick skills but won't win any tournaments.....and you take a horrible team like (insert team here) and play in a good conference on Heisman. Default sliders. Chances are , you are going to get your #$% handed to you....as it should be. Maybe you can put together that perfect game where you can do no wrong (we've all had them) and beat someone. When you do, I assure you, it feels awesome.

I guess my point is, after the patch anyway, I am finding I had to move from AA to Heisman because my team progressed so much that it just got easy. (unless I had a brain fart) Which leads me to this post. I had sliders adjusted for this, that and the other, but what I have found is....give the game a chance. Default sliders on Heisman. Couple of reasons.

1) I don't care who argues with me, I know I'm right about this. The instant you screw around with sliders, your players "getting hot" "warm" etc..are affected. It's noticeable and not in a good way.

2) You miss A LOT of features of the game by messing with sliders. Mainly , Believe it or not, on Defense. When I went from AA to Heisman, and default sliders.....all of a sudden I was getting sacks. Corner Blitz's, Linebacker blitz's, even saftey blitz's.

3) The way you play the game .......you will either somewhat agree with me, or think I'm an idiot. If you play smart, tough-d (bend but don't break,,,,blitz at right time, not every play) and have good play calls, AND UNDERSTAND THERE IS A MOMENTUM ENGINE IN PLAY, you will have a great experience on Heisman, default.

Now, just in the off chance EA reads this: Here a just a couple of beefs I still have with the game. AI Playcalling. Deep ball by CPU. And next year the QBA (or arm strength) needs to be cut down in the engine by about 10 points, but the slider needs to still show 50 if that makes sense. To many easy 50+ bombs by human vs cpu. Oline and Dline need to be addressed.

Again, after playing many seasons and re-thinking everything, I believe this is the best edition yet. Can't wait to 2010, .....at least post patch .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: I owe EA an apology. Perhaps not so dumb.

I'm in the same boat as you, I play on Heisman Default sliders now. I love it, i've never played any other Madden or NCAA as much as this one and it isnt even Bowl Season yet.
I can't wait until 2010, the only thing I want added is Create-A-Team or Division 1 AA Teams.
AFL: Pittsburgh Power
NCAA: PITT Panthers

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
- Jack Lambert
Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Idk, I still found it too easy offensively to play with default sliders.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
Idk, I still found it too easy offensively to play with default sliders.
Yep. Its far too easy on default.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

I have no apology. Theres still no excuse for not being able to play defense. Beat me all day, fine; but at least give me a chance to stop the pass. Also, if this was somebodys first exposure to football, they would never know you wre allowed to throw the ball deep since the CPU never does so. Also, if a TE catches a pass in the open, it doesnt matter what you're speed is, youre not catching him from behind.

Yes I can get sacks at times, but feeling like some plays are just pre-determined is no fun.

I hold firm in that this is the second worst NCAA ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
Rookie

ChiSox05's Arena

OVR: 13

Stoncold32 I don't know how you can say this is the second worst game ever, you must have never played 07 or 08 on next-gen because then this game would be 3rd worst at worst. Plus my TE in the Flats gets caught from behind all the time so you must have fast TE's
Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSox05
Stoncold32 I don't know how you can say this is the second worst game ever, you must have never played 07 or 08 on next-gen because then this game would be 3rd worst at worst. Plus my TE in the Flats gets caught from behind all the time so you must have fast TE's
Well, I stayed away after '05, and I bought 08 last year. I like '08. I don't think theres much this game does better than '08 aside from graphics and animations. You could play solid defense on '08.

Yeah TE in the flats gets caught, but I gave up a 99 yd TD to Penn States TEand he ran for 92 of them in that slow choppy animation to occurs sometimes, and yet no one on my team could catch up to him.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

'08 just wasn't as fun imo. The cpu threw a lot more picks than they do in '09 (still too much) and the deep ball was too hard. The game improved post patch (much better touch on passes, better head tracking) but the high turnovers ruined that game after awhile. I still love '09 but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »