Home

Ok seriously, offline play feels way too scripted.

This is a discussion on Ok seriously, offline play feels way too scripted. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Ok seriously, offline play feels way too scripted.

This game feels just way too scripted. Like I can usually always tell when I'm going to lose a game. If the CPU wants you to lose, YOU WILL LOSE. There's nothing you can do about it. I'm playing this game against UCLA and literally, I can almost tell you exactly when they're going to drive down the field for a TD, and when I'm about to throw an interception, or when I'm about to fumble..it's ridiculous. Anytime I get close to scoring a TD, like in the redzone or something, my WR freaking fumbles it. It's an obvious attempt at the CPU cheating you so you can't win. And I didn't realize LB's were 8 feet tall and could jump 5 feet in the air. I had a wide open man over the middle, but the LB somehow jumped and swatted the ball down even though I was throwing DEEP...whens the last time you saw a pass go deep over the middle and get swatted down by a linebacker?...usually the ball is too far up in the air for someone to swat it down. Anyways, it's just too predictable. I fumbled twice in the redzone..obvious attempt at the CPU cheating you so you can't win. And when my QB throws a ball 10 yards away from the intended target and gets intercepted...another obvious attempt at the CPU saying "no you can't win, we won't let you.." Most games are legit, but theres always some games here and there where you just know you're going to lose right from the start. I think my first pass of the game was an interception, lol...I knew right there that I wasn't winning.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Ok seriously, offline play feels way too scripted.

Yeah, that happens some times. It can be pretty frustrating.

It also happens in true life if you're a Georgia fan. Tim Tebow sucks and the guy just wont die. Seriously, can't someone just injure that guy. I don't know about the rest of the country, but everybody in the SEC hates that guy.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Rookie

kindella2's Arena

OVR: 9

i dont have the same problems, cept for the occasional interception in which i shouldnt have thrown the pass to begin with.

Now there are games when its close and its the CPU going down the field til they cant keep up but i havent had a game of "i cant win" since the 1st couple of days of having the game and maybe its me.

What level are you playing on?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 10

Just about every sports vs the cpu i played feels like they are scripted. I don't know how you guys do it.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx34
Just about every sports vs the cpu i played feels like they are scripted. I don't know how you guys do it.
It's because sports game developers haven't gone into the level of AI depth that action and strategy game developers have.

AI defines how scripted the game feels and right now most sports games against the CPU are just randomized turn-based strategy games with pretty graphics. The difference is that humans have stick skills and that's why these games feel too easy.

That's the main reason I always end up in Coach Mode or just being a roster manager and letting the CPU execute... it's more entertaining and challenging than simply joystick weaving around idiots who can't take correct pursuit angles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

It can't be scripted if you are controlling half of the action. Especially if you are on offense. If you can feel an int coming, be safe with the ball. Don't be afraid to take a sack. Use the rb button to prevent fumbles.

On defense, just buckle down and try to stop them - it can be hard sometimes, but it is almost impossible to stop an offense that's clicking irl too.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I don't believe in scripted play or comeback code. I've played almost 100 games of NCAA '09 and I've seen comebacks on both sides and I've seen games where both sides held on to the lead.

I find it amusing that the "scripted" arguments or "comeback code" arguments are always made after a loss. The user can come back and win 5 straight games but as soon as they blow a lead, the cpu cheated somehow. How come nobody complains about scripted wins?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

There are times when the game starts and you can tell that you're going to be in for a battle but that's real life. The team with the higher ratings isn't going to win convincingly every time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »