Home

Conference Invitations got me thinking...

This is a discussion on Conference Invitations got me thinking... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Conference Invitations got me thinking...

I'm new here and I just discovered this website a few days ago. I liked what I read, so I've been visiting the past couple of days. I had mostly been reading about Conference Invitation threads b/c I have been trying to take some non-BCS powerhouses like, TCU-Boise St.-BYU-Utah-Navy-Notre Dame (not really a powerhouse), and put them into BCS conferences to make the competition more fair. BTW, I have NCAA 09 for PS2.

But, doing this got me thinking. I don't think it would happen, but I was wondering if NCAA 09 would ever allow you to preset the conferences. This idea lead me to thinking of my own little idea about how to scratch the BCS entirely. So, here is my idea. I want to preface this by saying that I came up with this rather quickly.

You have 4 Super Conferences (16 teams in each, divided into 4 divisions of 4 teams). Each team plays the three other teams in its division and then one team from each division in its super conference, for a total of 6 games. The top 2 from each division advance to the playoff portion and each super conference then has an 8 team playoff. The winners of each super conference then have a 4 team playoff to determine national champ. The teams that do not advance can have a consolation playoff of some sort to get more than 6 games in and maybe the losers of the teams that move on can have consolation games or bowl games of some sort so that each team is guaranteed a minimum number of games. Also, I think there should be some sort of rule that says that if a team goes 0-6 or performs poorly over a certain length of time (i.e. 4 years), then they can be dropped down and another team can take their place (ECU and UCF are teams that could possibly replace one of these guys).

I am not as certain what the rules would be but I enjoyed trying to relocate teams:

BIG WEST
North-----West ------East ------South
Oregon----USC -------Boise St--Arizona
Oregon St-UCLA ------Utah -----Arizona St
Wash------Fresno St--BYU -----California
Wash St---Hawaii -----Stanford-Nevada

BIG EAST
North--------West-----East---South
UGA---------Alabama---VT-----Florida
GT----------Tennessee-UNC---Miami
S. Carolina--Auburn-----NC St--USF
Clemson-----Louisville---Wake--FSU

BIG SOUTH
North-----Central-----East------South
Nebraska--Oklahoma--LSU-------Texas
Iowa------Ok St------Ole Miss--Texas Tech
Iowa St---Missouri----Arkansas--Texas A&M
Colorado--Kansas-----Miss St.---TCU

BIG NORTH

West--------Central-West--Central-East--East
Notre Dame--Michigan------Penn St-------BC
Wisconsin----Michigan St---Ohio St-------Navy
Minnesota----Pitt----------Rutgers-------WVU
Illinois-------Cincinnati-----Toledo--------Maryland

1) If you have any suggestions as far as switching teams around, please let me know.
2) If you feel that I have left out a team, please let me know and which team you wish them to replace.
3) Any other suggestions are welcome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Conference Invitations got me thinking...

Hey, as I was thinking about this idea of mine, I thought I would add something that might help with the lack of games that some teams might play. Maybe, each team, in addition to playing the 6 games (3 from their own division and 1 from each other division in its super conference), each team can also play EITHER 1 team from each other division in its super conference (for a total of 9 games, 3 games vs. their own division and 6 games from the other divisions) OR 1 additional game from each of the other super conferences (for a total of 9 games, 3 games vs. their own division, 3 games from other divisions in super conference, and 3 games from other super conferences (1 from each other super conference).... JUST A THOUGHT!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

First off I want to say welcome. This site is great. I have been here for a few years and love it.
Second, not sure if this is a real life want are do you want this in the game. If real life then not going to happen. For one reason only, money. I know people want a playoff system but it is not going to happen. The money that football brings in is huge for these schools and a playoff would cut into that. You would have to shorten the season and like they would care but these school's have finials that would get in the way. The regular season games bring in money and the bowls are big money. A playoff want happen as long as the presidents of these colleges are money hungry.
If you want this in the game then don't hold your breath. The next generation guys (I have a 360 & PS3) can't even get formation subs.
Hang around though this is a great site to get help and post your thoughts.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

The big east and big south are pretty good. I think for the Big West, Cal and Stanford have to be in the same division. One easy solution would be to switch Nevada and Stanford since Reno is east of Palo Alto. Other than that, I like the West except for the exclusion of San Diego St., but I don't see how you could take anyone else out.

The Big North is pretty rough though. Notre Dame is in the West, despite the fact that they aren't near any of those schools. And ND has about 47 rivals, and they are not paired with any of them. Also, Rutgers and toledo shouldn't be in over schools like Northwestern and Purdue, imo.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Rookie

EsaQue,

I took your advice and switched Nevada and Stanford. Also, I rearranged the BIG NORTH. Purdue and Northwestern replace Rutgers and Toledo. Northwestern steps into the West. Purdue and Notre Dame move to the Central-West. Cincy and Pitt move to the Central-East. Just because I want to get this thing right, I was curious if this looks better? Also, I am not a huge ND fan, so besides USC, Michigan, Navy, Army, Air Force.. who are ND's rivals?

BIG WEST

North-----West ------East ------South
Oregon----USC -------Boise St--Arizona
Oregon St-UCLA ------Utah -----Arizona St
Wash------Fresno St--BYU -----California
Wash St---Hawaii -----Nevada---Stanford

BIG EAST
North--------West-----East---South
UGA---------Alabama---VT-----Florida
GT----------Tennessee-UNC---Miami
S. Carolina--Auburn-----NC St--USF
Clemson-----Louisville---Wake--FSU

BIG SOUTH
North-----Central-----East------South
Nebraska--Oklahoma--LSU-------Texas
Iowa------Ok St------Ole Miss--Texas Tech
Iowa St---Missouri----Arkansas--Texas A&M
Colorado--Kansas-----Miss St.---TCU

BIG NORTH

West----------Central-West--Central-East--East
Northwestern--Michigan------Penn St-------BC
Wisconsin------Michigan St---Ohio St-------Navy
Minnesota-----Notre Dame----Pitt----------WVU
Illinois---------Purdue--------Cincinnati-----Maryland
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

ND's rivals are USC, Michigan, Michigan St., Navy, Purdue, Boston College, Stanford, and Pittsburgh. They have several rivalries that have kind of died over the years, Air Force and Army being among them.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Rookie

vexerr's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey86
But, doing this got me thinking. I don't think it would happen, but I was wondering if NCAA 09 would ever allow you to preset the conferences. This idea lead me to thinking of my own little idea about how to scratch the BCS entirely. So, here is my idea. I want to preface this by saying that I came up with this rather quickly.
I believe CH2k8 allows you to play around with conferences, so it might not be an NCAA thing.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
Pro

Squeezee12's Arena

OVR: 14

after your revision for the west. i would take cal and stanford and put them in with fresno st and hawaii. and move usc and ucla with the arizona teams. great idea though. i have been thinking of ways to do this but have never got the chance to put it all on paper (or computer).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »