Home

should I buy NCAA for PS3 or PS2?

This is a discussion on should I buy NCAA for PS3 or PS2? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-25-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
should I buy NCAA for PS3 or PS2?

After 2 RROD 360s I'm buying games for PS3 from now. I already had the PS3 but just no games for it. I'm selling off my 360 game library and buying NCAA but I'm not sure if I should get the PS2 or PS3 version.

I had the 360 version and although I didn't hate it, the lack of pass rush and robo-QB was a big downer for me. I've seen some video of the PS2 version on youtube and the defense can definitely get a good pass rush by overloading the defense by shifting the Dline and LBs to the same side. The 360 Oline would miraculously pick up every type of blitz pretty effectively....not so on the PS2 videos I've seen.

The one big issue is that since I like to play online and will be playing the PS2 version (if I get it) on a PS3, I'm wondering if this can be done and if so are the online connections solid using a PS3 on the PS2 network?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: should I buy NCAA for PS3 or PS2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3man
I had the 360 version and although I didn't hate it, the lack of pass rush and robo-QB was a big downer for me. I've seen some video of the PS2 version on youtube and the defense can definitely get a good pass rush by overloading the defense by shifting the Dline and LBs to the same side. The 360 Oline would miraculously pick up every type of blitz pretty effectively....not so on the PS2 videos I've seen.

The one big issue is that since I like to play online and will be playing the PS2 version (if I get it) on a PS3, I'm wondering if this can be done and if so are the online connections solid using a PS3 on the PS2 network?
Everything I've read, heard, and seen is that the PS3 and 360 versions play almost identically. The PS2 version has a more in-depth dynasty (more off-season options, a discipline system--albeit, flawed in my opinion, etc.). Also, the PS2 version has a different, more bearable, and less overbearing (for lack of a better word at the moment), set of bugs (and probably not as many, either)

If by playing online you are referring to online dynasty, the PS2 version doesn't have that. I don't think you did, but I wanted to cover all bases. I THINK PS2 games work online just fine on the PS3. I never really played any of my PS2 games online, either on a PS2 or a PS3, and still don't, so I couldn't tell you how well they function.

On a whim, I tried to go online with NCAA 08 (PS2) on my PS3, and it couldn't detect the hardware. Now, my PS3 is connected to my router wirelessly. I couldn't tell you if wiring it to the router would work as my router is in the other side of the house.

So, it looks like for playing online with a PS3, you will have to get the PS3 version.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
bb9
Rookie

bb9's Arena

OVR: 4

Go with the PS3.

I'm not that big on graphics, but the difference is night and day.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

I would go with the ps2 version.

I have bought every NG release of NCAA so far and I have finally had it. I sold NCAA 09 for the 360 a few months ago and have been in video gaming heaven playing NCAA on the ps2 again. Trust me, the gameplay is that much better. Sure the graphics are not as good but I honestly don't even think about that anymore because the gameplay is so good.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm not the hardcore gamer like most are here, but I am a stickler for most fo the things that are wrong with the game. I'm not one to get pissed about everything wrong in the game, but I can say that from the time when I played PS2 NCAA, I've never really had many problems.

It's all about preference.

Better gameplay? PS2

Better graphics/presentation? 360/PS3

But that's just my .02
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5xfaster
I'm not the hardcore gamer like most are here, but I am a stickler for most fo the things that are wrong with the game. I'm not one to get pissed about everything wrong in the game, but I can say that from the time when I played PS2 NCAA, I've never really had many problems.
I'm with you...at least, I'm quite like you. I'm playing on PS3 and I really enjoy it. This is my first year doing so. Every so often I find that I miss a feature that the PS2 had, but I get over that quickly and enjoy what I do have.

That doesn't stop me from posting my wishes (here or elsewhere), but I try not to complain about it.

Again, preference (as mentioned before, ad nauseum) is the deciding factor. However, I have my doubts that we'll have such a choice next year.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Thanks for starting this thread. I just got a PS2 and was wondering about this game, after hearing (and now, seeing with my own eyes) how Madden was better on PS2 than PS3/360 (I have a 360).

I have NCAA for my 360 and can tolerate it, but am strongly considering going to the PS2 version. I don't play OD, so not an issue and I don't have the technology for the Stadium Sounds. Gameplay is No. 1 for me, so looks like PS2 may be the way to go.

Anyone know what NCAA (360) would fetch in a trade-in right now? I got $27 for Madden, so I'd imagine it'd be in that ballpark.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 12-30-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3man
After 2 RROD 360s I'm buying games for PS3 from now. I already had the PS3 but just no games for it. I'm selling off my 360 game library and buying NCAA but I'm not sure if I should get the PS2 or PS3 version.

I did the same thing as you. I wen't through 4 360 RROD's and finally bought a PS3. I have NCAA Football for PS3 and it's truly amazing. Just find some sliders you like and that should help out with ROBO QB and the blitz a little bit ( it did for me). I have had some great games with slider even against the CPU on my OD. As for the PS2 I havn't tried it but I'd assume the the PS3 would be better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »