Home

Theoretical question here...

This is a discussion on Theoretical question here... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #1
Banned

bostonsportsrule's Arena

OVR: 5
Theoretical question here...

I'm 9-0 and #3 with Boston College in 2011. Alabama and Texas are ahead of me, both undefeated. I'm in the ACC Championship Game regardless of what happens from here on out.

Now, if I win the conference title, but I get into the national title game....who goes to the Orange Bowl? Would it be the team I beat in the conference title game, or would it look at the entire ACC Standings and send the highest team that's not me? (Theoretically, the team I beat could fall to 6-3 in the 9th conference game (ACC) and someone could be 6-2 and have lost a tiebreaker).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Theoretical question here...

NCAA programming is ********, at-large selection never considers conference affiliation. So if you go to the NC game, it will pick the highest ranked at large team to fill the bowls
Old 12-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 15

the above poster is correct, for example, when I beat Ohio State to go to the National Championship, the Buckeyes should have gone to the Rose Bowl, but instead went to the Fiesta Bowl. The bowl traditions (rose bowl= pac-10 vs big ten) mean nothing to the computer.

MLB: Detroit Tigers
NCAAFB: Michigan Wolverines
NFL: New York Giants/Detroit Lions
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA: Detroit Pistons
NCAABB: Oakland University Golden Grizzlies

Old 12-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Pro

Squeezee12's Arena

OVR: 14

following with the two above me the computer takes the next highest ranked teams...

Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsportsrule
I'm 9-0 and #3 with Boston College in 2011. Alabama and Texas are ahead of me, both undefeated. I'm in the ACC Championship Game regardless of what happens from here on out.

Now, if I win the conference title, but I get into the national title game....who goes to the Orange Bowl? Would it be the team I beat in the conference title game, or would it look at the entire ACC Standings and send the highest team that's not me? (Theoretically, the team I beat could fall to 6-3 in the 9th conference game (ACC) and someone could be 6-2 and have lost a tiebreaker).
Everyone before me is right about in the game... but in real life, the rule is that any BCS bowl that loses on of its conference tie-ins to the national championship game gets first pick for a replacement. Meaning if Ohio State was headed to the title game, the Rose Bowl would get to be first in line of picking any at-large team or conference champion without an automatic bowl tie-in (i.e. the ACC and the Orange Bowl) to replace them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Pro

the game still lets bowls pick at large opponents, it's just done without any consideration to conference affiliation. The rose bowl will always pick #5 Boise State instead of #6 Michigan in the above post's scenario

and that's just asinine
Old 12-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulletor
the game still lets bowls pick at large opponents, it's just done without any consideration to conference affiliation. The rose bowl will always pick #5 Boise State instead of #6 Michigan in the above post's scenario

and that's just asinine
Doesn't make any sense, I know...I mean, I guess with all of the possible scenarios, it'd be pretty tough to program that kind of thing into the game, but maybe there's a better explanation?

Old 12-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5xfaster
Doesn't make any sense, I know...I mean, I guess with all of the possible scenarios, it'd be pretty tough to program that kind of thing into the game, but maybe there's a better explanation?

it's not at all a difficult problem to solve (i have 9 years of software industry experience)
here's the algorithm

there are 6 to 9 automatic qualifiers (if a non-BCS team finished in top 12 or ahead of BCS champ its the 7th qualifier, if a non conference champ finishes in the top 4 its the 8th AQ, if ND is in the top 8 it is an AQ as well)

#1, #2 in BCS CG (2/10 spots filled)
Bind conference teams to their bowls (5-8/10 spots filled)

#1 Bowl picks, if there's eligible team with its conference affiliation and enough at large spots, take it . if not, take top 4 BCS team

#2 Bowl picks, if there's eligible team with its conference affiliation and enough at large spots, take it, if not take the highest BCS eligible team

6-10 out of 10 spots filled at this point

the remaining 1-4 spots are now chosen in the proper order, ensuring that a top 4 non conference champ is taken

thats it, if EA hired me i could probably fix all their DB/non gameplay bugs in a couple weeks

Last edited by Skulletor; 12-27-2008 at 04:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »