Home

What am I doing wrong on Defense??

This is a discussion on What am I doing wrong on Defense?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Rookie

bvickers223's Arena

OVR: 1
What am I doing wrong on Defense??

Ok, I am veteran of this series, I used to have Bill Walsh College Football for Sega Genesis, and owned just about every one since then. I am not the greatest, but certainly not a scrub. And I do know real football. But right now, I am struggling mightily on D.

I just started a dynasty with Baylor, and I am 2-0 at the moment. I just beat Tulsa in my 2nd game (I substituted them into my schedule with FCS Southeast), which I won 45-24. The problem is, I gave up over 450 yards passing and their QB was 32-35. The only thing that saved me was their terrible playcalling on 3rd and short situations. If they passed on every play, I never would have stopped them. I tried seemingly every play in the play book. I called blitzes, showed blitz, then changed to zone right before the snap to try to "confuse" the QB which didn't work. I did the opposite. I controlled D-linemen to pressure him, I controlled LBs, DBs, nothing worked!

I have not just had this problem with Baylor either. I completed a season with Texas in which I finished 13-1 with a win in the Fiesta Bowl over Florida. But I finished somewhere around 80th in the nation in pass defense despite the fact I led the nation in INTs with 32.

What do you guys use defensively to throw off these robo QBs. I see everyone complaining about the QB choice plays run by the CPU, and I am seeing that, but those are about the only plays keeping them from scoring at will. I don't have the same problem facing human opponents, just the CPU. I just need some strategies to try, or some sliders or something. Any help is appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: What am I doing wrong on Defense??

Welcome to the club buddy. The CPU either throws insanely accurate, or either throws 4 INTs per game....usually in the same game they do both. I've seen plenty of games where basically the only CPU incompletions, were interceptions by me.

Basically what I did is lower the WR catch slider so they drop more passes in order to get more realistic stats.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: What am I doing wrong on Defense??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
Welcome to the club buddy. The CPU either throws insanely accurate, or either throws 4 INTs per game....usually in the same game they do both. I've seen plenty of games where basically the only CPU incompletions, were interceptions by me.

Basically what I did is lower the WR catch slider so they drop more passes in order to get more realistic stats.
That and drop the cpu pass block to 25 or below and accuracy to 35-40. It will cause them to have less time to pick you apart and their throws will be a bit less accurate. Ad if you play alot of zone. STOP. The suckiest qbs will read zones like a champs. Play man and utilize your hot routes on d. Thats what they're for.

After doing this, my pass d went from 112th to 16th over 2 seasons. The hardest play to defend is the comeback because the cpu wr will almost always be in the right spot or will warp to the ball. 9/10 your corner will just stand there until he catches the ball.

So once you get pass that you should be ok. I only allowed 155 passing yards last night vs Tulsa while playing as ND. The qb was 12-27 and threw 2 picks. Hope this helps

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »