Home

If the AI is truly broken in this game....

This is a discussion on If the AI is truly broken in this game.... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
If the AI is truly broken in this game....

And I have a feeling that it is, the best thing that EA can do at this point is:

1. Limit the speed of offensive recruits. The WR and RB's are currently coming in with higher speed ratings than the CB's and safeties. If you limit the speed of the offensive skill players and make much quicker defensive players, that would be a huge step in the current engine. EVeryone knows speed kills this game.

2. Make hands ratings and route running really matter. These lower tier super fast recruits should have hands of stone. But if you limit the offensive speed, this problem is partially corrected already.

3. If a cheeser moves fast players to QB, etc. Make them have fumblitis or be very injury prone. Move a WR to TE, take away all blocking skill and have him crushed by the DE. But blocking may be more of an engine problem.

4. Create a ton more Linemen in recruiting and change the AI's recruit logic. This should be easy enough to fix, that should just be programming. 5 years down the road, the AI definitely has recruiting issues.

5. Penalties, increase the amount of penalties. Much harder to make 1st downs and easily drive down the field if you have a realistic amount of holding and false start penalties.

6. Fumbles. Make them more regular, especially with lower carry ability players.

7. Remove the QB choice plays out of the playbook or at least change the frequency to which they are used by the AI. I would say fix the play, but that is more engine related.

I have a pretty spot on set of sliders right now, except for the fact that they just can't make up for the speed flaws and cheese factors of the engine. Playing a game with a mid range team that has skill players top out in the low 90's - around 92, work very good. But it won't work for online dynasty because speed is too abundant.

So if the engine remains the same, what could be done to improve the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: If the AI is truly broken in this game....

All they really have to do is make the gameplay based more on skill ratings than raw abilities. At that point, at least we would have a game where teams would be forced to recruit more than just speed and players would be able to use power/strength players and gain just as much of an edge as speed players.

That means a ton of major changes need to be made, but without them I think they are just putting more and more lipstick on an ugly pig and hoping we don't notice.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #3
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

I personally think it would be easier for them to just make the game play to the ratings, LIKE IT SHOULD, rather than trying to tweak and show favoritism towards speedy players.

So errrrrmmmm, basically they need to go back to the old way of doing things.

I've had TE's with 83 in speed outrun my my fastest DB's(for 80yd TD's) with speed in the mid 90's. This pisses alot of people off, I dont know why EA doesnt understand that.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #4
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

Make the man defense a lot better.. My safeties are getting burnt by TE's and FB's with speed in the 70's. My safeties man coverage ratings are in the high 70's to low 80's. I think that's a decent rating. Well good enough to be covering ends and fullbacks. But nope, they get 5-6 yards of seperation coming out of cuts.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

At times, be it the game play or dynasty mode, this game just makes no sense. The AI has no logic, it is not football savvy and it is not intelligent. At times I fill like I am playing a game that belongs on the PS1 System.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
MVP

Enable the AI to learn on 2 levels....
1 - AI needs to make play calls based on memory. CPU needs to build a data base of Human play calling tendencies and adjust to them based on what works and doesn't work. If the CPU currently did this at all against me it would completely abandon the man CB blitz that it likes to call a TON and allow me 7 points from anywhere on the field.

2 - individual players need to shade/favor tendencies being shown by the HUMAN player. If I run the same PA pass 8 times in a row, at some point the defense should no longer fall for the ball fake... If you run the same dive play with regularity, the DEs should begin to pinch down automatically. If you constantly roll out, the DEs should begin to rush further outside in attempt to contain.

Little stuff like this on D would go a LONG way to helping this game play so much more fun. Enable guys with HIGH AWARENESS to learn faster.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
Enable the AI to learn on 2 levels....
1 - AI needs to make play calls based on memory. CPU needs to build a data base of Human play calling tendencies and adjust to them based on what works and doesn't work. If the CPU currently did this at all against me it would completely abandon the man CB blitz that it likes to call a TON and allow me 7 points from anywhere on the field.

2 - individual players need to shade/favor tendencies being shown by the HUMAN player. If I run the same PA pass 8 times in a row, at some point the defense should no longer fall for the ball fake... If you run the same dive play with regularity, the DEs should begin to pinch down automatically. If you constantly roll out, the DEs should begin to rush further outside in attempt to contain.

Little stuff like this on D would go a LONG way to helping this game play so much more fun. Enable guys with HIGH AWARENESS to learn faster.
I agree, but the problem with the AI isn't just with the comp team. The AI can't control the other 10 players on the human team either. I watch plays unfold and a lot of times I am just like "what the...". The AI is so horrible on both sides of the ball, the gameplay makes no sense at all. Then we have all this wacky crap that happens in dynasty mode that, once again, makes absolutely no sense at all. I guess I am just burned out on playing mediocre sports games.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftball11
I agree, but the problem with the AI isn't just with the comp team. The AI can't control the other 10 players on the human team either. I watch plays unfold and a lot of times I am just like "what the...". The AI is so horrible on both sides of the ball, the gameplay makes no sense at all. Then we have all this wacky crap that happens in dynasty mode that, once again, makes absolutely no sense at all. I guess I am just burned out on playing mediocre sports games.
well of course i would hope that our other 10 players had the same intelligence based on their awareness rankings as the CPU players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »