Home

QB Choice and Zone Read Plays???

This is a discussion on QB Choice and Zone Read Plays??? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: QB Choice and Zone Read Plays???

i play with usc's book but ive been using oregons lately to work on passing and i can run the ball great. alot of the plays are out of atleast one te but the choice is good. you have to block away from the side that you want to run. you have to choose before you snap it. if they keep the lbs in the box run away from them or not at all. motion guys around to get lbs and safetys out of the box. make sure you have enough to block all there guys. when you hand it off tap at the perfect time or the rb will kinda bog down for a sec and then have to re-accelerate. practice it some. if you qb is fast he is the better option most of the time because the d will go with the flow of the rb and you can bust em up the gut or between guard and tackle.

the blockings not relistic but it does have method and it can be used to perfection if you use the left and right on blocking which make the linemen bascally use a zone blocking scheme. i always block away so i can get seal blocks. try it in practice. make sure you are mostly running toward the 3 and 7 techs they are the easiest to seal block. if you run to the one tech use counters, options and tosses. you can run a iso or dive also but you have to have a over commit to the other side by the d and seal down and you can bust it off the tackles *** and drop a truck on the FS or SS. you just have to play the numbers game. i have 5 on that side they have 4, i win. they have two dline men and a OLB and a MLB that can scrap. i have center, guard and tackle, they win. i play guys alot and they run to my numbers. i love it but i wonder whats going on with not adjusting at line.

anyway i dont feel as comfortable running as i do with usc's playbook but i do get more explosive run plays because of the motion option plays. using the wr's in the option game can get you big yards plus its just fun to run. also im not saying the choice and read plays dont backfire. i might get no yard gain on a iback dive but i can lose two or three if i run a choice play and i dont pick up the blitz. not saying its great but it does work, even for a power back. remember the numbers!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22

The play is a "read and react" play. The idea behind the play is to get the D to read and pick a side, or to catch them out of position. You are to read the D, if they slant/run towards the RB then you pull the ball and run the opposite direction with the QB and vice versa but the D in the game acts nothing like a real D and there are no blocking schemes so the play is useless with no adjustments from you. Using the slide blocking you can adjust somewhat but not well enough to make the play work like it should. And If you are not going to control the players its better if you just dont run it.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

I just always slide block the way I am running and pick a hole, you have to think of getting 4 yds or more as a good rush, you make break a big run here and there but with the sliders I use (FISTof RAGE-Heisman) you cant get positive yds all the time you just have to keep pounding the ball
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

yea obviously its not like real life. you know how hard all the blocking schemes would be to put in? they use basically middle school blocking rules when adjustments are made. all aside about if its realistic or not it does work. it has a plan to it and if you learn how it works you can manipulate to be more realistic or atleast giving you reads and holes in realistic places. its a four or five yard run. i play with fists also and have 0 for run block and 35 for rb ability on heisman and i can get yards running this. you have to read before you snap the ball and use all the blockers you can even if they are wr's. i get about 5 yards to the hb on this play when i run it. i only run it when its set up the way i like it. when its set up for a qb run its normally a 8 to 15 yard run. the hb will break some but the qb rarely will. its works but you do have to make adjustments but thats football. also the choice read option and option pass work really well. i like to hand it to the hb up the gut on these to the three tech. good power running out of the shotgun. to be clear a 4 yard run is a success to me. three of those and i get a first.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerob
I just always slide block the way I am running and pick a hole, you have to think of getting 4 yds or more as a good rush, you make break a big run here and there but with the sliders I use (FISTof RAGE-Heisman) you cant get positive yds all the time you just have to keep pounding the ball
try blocking away to give you better seams to hit in the run game. blocking toward is more of a cut back lane scheme. this is real good for power runners on inside run plays but you might have to take on a backer in the hole. you need power for that. if you block away the tackle or te will block down on the end and give you either a crack inside the te or in his hole where he was or just outside the last man on the line. if you block up and have strong oline you can get a blast off the ball and will make 2 or 3 just on there push but a blitz can hurt you and the dline will get off easier because they can get off either way and can hurt you when you speed burst. on the power plays or any of the off tackle plays you can go either way. the speed of my rb and my line will tell me what im looking to do as of course the look they give me. try blocking away and see what you get.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »