Home

NCAA Football 09 Postmortem

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 09 Postmortem within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #97
MVP

OVR: 37
Re: NCAA Football 09 Postmortem

I enjoy the game BUT..... I still can't get over all of the missing features:

formation subs
endzone art
FCS
CAS
Bowl atmosphere
all alternates
uniform editor
playbook creator
interactive coin toss
on field warm ups
coach on the field
heisman ceremony
OL/DL interaction
lack of a cpu running game
poor recruiting logic
pre game show
post game show
ESPN integration......

Fingers crossed for 2010...
Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #98
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
I enjoy the game BUT..... I still can't get over all of the missing features:

formation subs
endzone art
FCS
CAS
Bowl atmosphere
all alternates
uniform editor
playbook creator
interactive coin toss
on field warm ups
coach on the field
heisman ceremony
OL/DL interaction
lack of a cpu running game
poor recruiting logic
pre game show
post game show
ESPN integration......
multiple camera angles
improved running motion

Pardon the piggyback, but your list just about did it for me, with those two additions. If the gameplay was adjusted to where you could use sliders to take this game from arcade to sim, then have the ability to expand the playbook, and implement just a couple of features to enhance the presentation, this game would be sweet.

That is what makes me angry. We can see just what it would take to be great, but the makers either don't or choose not to, but still passes the game off on us at $60.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #99
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Wait, HOLD UP, why didnt I know the PS2 version has all this?!? They even have Corso putting on the mascot head. W-T-H?????? Oh,this really ticks me off now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwJvxerco0

This is completely unacceptable to not have anything close to this in the next-gen version. I don't know how the A-squad next-gen team can live with the B-squad last-gen team being that much better than them.

Even the box cover athlete(Desean Jackson) turned out to be better than the next gen players.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 12
Guys, you can tear me apart on this one for mentioning a hypothetical game in my critique of this game, but there are just a few questions I have posed that I have yet to get a viable, strong response to.

First of all, why are canned animations and motion capture still in next-gen video games? Why? There is NO excuse for this. PS3 and 360 can handle a physics engine that re-creates real-life situations ON THE FLY, like Backbreaker would if it ever comes out. When I have posed this question previously, the only response is that it takes too much time to re-write the Physics engine and start from scratch in order to meet the release date. To me, that is probably top-3 lamest excuses I have ever heard. I am also getting a little sick of people saying that the physics engine utilized in that game are "rag-doll" and will "never work" in a football game. Well, are the canned animations working right now? No sir, they are not. People are skeptical about it because it is human nature to be skeptical about large-scale change. But, for the same reason we voted in Barack Obama, sweeping change is needed on the sports gaming front.

I know release dates are based on investors and what not, but tell the investors where to stick it and tell them you will release the game when it's ready to be shipped and a good game. If they don't like it, other people will invest in the game and the company when they see the public absolutely foraging to the stores to buy an amazing sports/football game.

Canned animations are a thing of the past, a thing for PS2 when the processor wasn't strong enough. There is no excuse for them on the next-gen systems. None. Get rid of them at any cost. Will sports games be 100x better without them? YES. Can sports games advance with canned animations and mo-cap? NO. End of Discussion.

I am not a businessperson so I don't know how you would go about finding the resources to do it, but I'm sure EA with their billions of dollars could figure it out. Just Sayin'.

to quote Stephen A Smith, I GUA-RAN-TEE YOU that if a company took the time to actually make a new physics engine, or i dunno BUY ONE THAT IS ALREADY OUT THERE, then many of the programming issues would go away immediately.

For 2010: Adjust the running animations for gods sake, PLEASE. They are awful.

Change the pursuit angles COMPLETELY. Players are WAY too quick to run behind the ball-carrier and try and chase him down.

How hard is it to make a realistic pocket? Also, 2K figured out how make blocking realistic, why can't EA? Those two things ALONE would make the game 20000000x better.

Again with the tackling, 2K figured out a way to make it so that you would not see the same tackle twice in a game on the LAST-GEN, so why is this still an issue on the next-gen systems? Again, NO excuse.

Why are QB throwing animations so bad, and the ball physics just as bad? There is not realistic pass coverage at all, or ANY recovery speed by the Defense. Makes for a one-sided affair, which sucks.

Unfortunately, I bought NCAA 09, so I contributed to the problem. But there will a rental of 2010 first with no purchase. Sorry EA, but your product stinks. Bad Company was great and so was Dead Space. Madden and NCAA? Not so much.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #101
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
Wait, HOLD UP, why didnt I know the PS2 version has all this?!? They even have Corso putting on the mascot head. W-T-H?????? Oh,this really ticks me off now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwJvxerco0

This is completely unacceptable to not have anything close to this in the next-gen version. I don't know how the A-squad next-gen team can live with the B-squad last-gen team being that much better than them.

Even the box cover athlete(Desean Jackson) turned out to be better than the next gen players.
Oh man, I'm about to snap! I watched the above link. I hadn't seen a PS2 version since NCAA FOOTBALL 07. That is the game I want for next gen consoles. The Broadcast desk, the players walking on the field, warm-ups, the interactive coin toss complete with refs, refs on the field during action, FCS teams.... THIS IS THE GAME WE ALL WANT EA.... WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN?

I refuse to believe that it is toooooooooooooooooooo difficult and time consuming to recreate that introduction. I suspect that difficulty has nothing to do with it but rather it's a competition between development teams and the next gen team doesn't want to copy last gen.... AND THE BIG LOSERS..... YOU AND I!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #102
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Oh man, I'm about to snap! I watched the above link. I hadn't seen a PS2 version since NCAA FOOTBALL 07. That is the game I want for next gen consoles. The Broadcast desk, the players walking on the field, warm-ups, the interactive coin toss complete with refs, refs on the field during action, FCS teams.... THIS IS THE GAME WE ALL WANT EA.... WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN?

I refuse to believe that it is toooooooooooooooooooo difficult and time consuming to recreate that introduction. I suspect that difficulty has nothing to do with it but rather it's a competition between development teams and the next gen team doesn't want to copy last gen.... AND THE BIG LOSERS..... YOU AND I!
I tell you the game is great.

I was actually turned on to this game and Madden by a thread started by Countryboy. I was skeptical at first, but went ahead and bought the NCAA PS2 game and was blown away. You have that initial few seconds to get rid of the graphics but actually they are pretty sweet. Heck a lot better running motion and the speed of the game is just right, now lumbering cumbersome like the next gen. The QB's drop and throwing motion is more accurate. I have not even touched a slider and have had super games. Absolutely no complaints. I won't go into how the Madden is actually better imo, but that is for another thread.

I just hope the PS2 version is released next year as well as an insurance policy.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #103
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:

You know what, you're probably right about that. I'll bet the next-gen team leaders have too much pride to want to "copy" the stuff from last gen. Too many times on this board I've seen the EA guys say, "(topic) isn't a main priority". Nothing that really matters to us seems to be a priority to them.

Heck, I'll take just the audio of that intro. I don't even need to see the Gameday desk and characters. They CANNOT, CANNOT, CANNOT, make me believe that they can't input that audio from the intro. That's just a flat-out lie.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #104
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
You know what, you're probably right about that. I'll bet the next-gen team leaders have too much pride to want to "copy" the stuff from last gen. Too many times on this board I've seen the EA guys say, "(topic) isn't a main priority". Nothing that really matters to us seems to be a priority to them.

Heck, I'll take just the audio of that intro. I don't even need to see the Gameday desk and characters. They CANNOT, CANNOT, CANNOT, make me believe that they can't input that audio from the intro. That's just a flat-out lie.
In addition to my other issues, No formation subs in NCAA FOOTBALL 2010... I'm sorry but that for me is a deal breaker. How much longer will members of this community passively accept table scraps? Mediocrity is just not acceptable! For me, two of the top last gen features are: formation subs & customizable playbooks. How can these things still be missing?

What really makes me angry (if formation subs don't make it in) is that Madden has them. All we need is the Madden playcall screen and done... we have formation subs. NCAA and Madden are essentially the same template... just transfer the files over!!!!

EA, don't recreate the wheel... that philosophy only hurts gamers... you know.... those people who pay your salary...

Last edited by JAYMO76; 01-18-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: sp.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »