Home

The BCS Quandary and How Video Games Can Help

This is a discussion on The BCS Quandary and How Video Games Can Help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: The BCS Quandary and How Video Games Can Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini G1aDiaToR
I don't buy the "end of season playoffs make the regular season meaningless" line. I think that's total BS. What sports fan really thinks that? The only way that happens is if too many teams make the playoffs *cough* NBA *cough*.

With over 100 something Div 1 schools (sorry but I refuse to say that stupid new subdivision name they use), there's no way a 16 team (or less) playoff makes the regular season meaningless.

Besides, if a team has a loosing season and doesn't making a bowl game under the current system, how is that any different than not making the playoffs under a new system? Loosing seasons suck either way.

Also, I don't see why it has to be either-or. Continue to have bowl games for those who didn't make the playoffs... NCAA Basketball has the NIT. Sure it's less popular than the big dance, but it's something right?

Just keep doing bowl games for the non playoff teams, there's already tons of stupidly sponsored bowl games with no national implications. Why stop that fine tradition?
Precisely my thoughts. The bowl games will still bring in the same revenue as before. There's no way a die-hard Nevada fan is going to suddenly NOT go to their bowl game because the BCS decided to go to a tournament/playoff system.

Also, how would the regular season become meaningless when you need to win the conference and/or finish in the top 10 to reach the playoffs? I can pretty much guarantee that 2 loss teams from mediocre conferences would not get into the playoffs.

If we used that format, here are the teams that would have made it this year:

1 Conf Team BCS
2 ACC Virginia Tech 19
3 Big East Cincinnati 12
4 Big Ten Penn State 8
5 Big XII Oklahoma 1
6 C-USA East Carolina 41
7 MAC Buffalo 55
8 MWC Utah 6
9 Pac-10 USC 5
10 SEC Florida 2
11 Sun Belt Troy 62
12 WAC Boise State 9
13 At Large Texas 3
14 At Large Alabama 4
15 At Large Texas Tech 7
16 At Large Ohio State 10
17 At Large TCU 11

Rank them by the BCS ranking and let the games begin. You can clearly see that no ACC at-large would have made it into the tournament.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Rookie

nolan273's Arena

OVR: 13
In my opinion, a playoff is the ONLY way to truly determine a champion. The whole 'Bowl Championship Series' reminds me of the olden days when a mythical national champion was crowned. In most years since the BCS came into being, the two best teams have not been in the championship game. How, then, can anyone proclaim the winner 'champion'?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Precisely my thoughts. The bowl games will still bring in the same revenue as before. There's no way a die-hard Nevada fan is going to suddenly NOT go to their bowl game because the BCS decided to go to a tournament/playoff system.

Also, how would the regular season become meaningless when you need to win the conference and/or finish in the top 10 to reach the playoffs? I can pretty much guarantee that 2 loss teams from mediocre conferences would not get into the playoffs.

If we used that format, here are the teams that would have made it this year:

1 Conf Team BCS
2 ACC Virginia Tech 19
3 Big East Cincinnati 12
4 Big Ten Penn State 8
5 Big XII Oklahoma 1
6 C-USA East Carolina 41
7 MAC Buffalo 55
8 MWC Utah 6
9 Pac-10 USC 5
10 SEC Florida 2
11 Sun Belt Troy 62
12 WAC Boise State 9
13 At Large Texas 3
14 At Large Alabama 4
15 At Large Texas Tech 7
16 At Large Ohio State 10
17 At Large TCU 11

Rank them by the BCS ranking and let the games begin. You can clearly see that no ACC at-large would have made it into the tournament.
Looking at that chart of teams makes me salivate as to what could have been.

Anyhow, I'd be all for a tourney as long as we get compelling, powerful non conference matchups. I'd also like to see every BCS conference have a campionship game at some point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 24

I cannot imagine you'll see more than an eight team playoff. If i recall right the D1A plays 11 games right? When you factor in that D1 plays 12 games and a fair number play a title game i just don't' see them forcing a 16 team playoff. They are not going to have the teams drop a game of revenue to do this and the arguement is the students would be playing too many games otherwise.

An eight team playoff you have the same current issue- under what criteria do you force a Utah or Boise st in? Sure this year you can state that Utah should be in but last year Hawaii looked horrible.

That's the thing without a bigger playoff or with non BCS teams. You don't fully know until they actually play and its not like non-BCS teams historically beat BCS teams at a .500 or better mark. I believe Boise St has a losing mark over the past five years vs BCS if i remember right.

That said- I think the Mountain West is vastly better than the other non bcs conference and close to the big east and should get more respect. The big east is just deeper.

So my question to you guys is- What can you really do with 8 teams or fewer that is really fair to non BCS teams? I guess you could consider 12 teams with 4 byes at best. I think your just going to see an and one. Which is mildly better than the current system.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6
I love all the BCS excuses for why there is not a playoff system. My favorite is "too many games for players." If anything a 16 team playoff would only help.

People always say that at some point during the NFL season rookies seem as though they have run out of gas. This is because of the differences in the amount of games played.

A 16 team playoff allows those rookies to get used to long schedules.

Also the BCS complains about a playoff bringing too many injuries. That is SO dumb. Sure a playoff will bring injures but EVERY SINGLE PLAY can cause an injury.

Playoff FTW
Old 01-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc1130
I love all the BCS excuses for why there is not a playoff system. My favorite is "too many games for players." If anything a 16 team playoff would only help.

People always say that at some point during the NFL season rookies seem as though they have run out of gas. This is because of the differences in the amount of games played.

A 16 team playoff allows those rookies to get used to long schedules.

Also the BCS complains about a playoff bringing too many injuries. That is SO dumb. Sure a playoff will bring injures but EVERY SINGLE PLAY can cause an injury.

Playoff FTW
They should play more so they are ready for the NFL? Seriously, you have like 250 guys get drafted out of like 10,000 D1 college players. Plus, these are student athletes. Its not like they have nothing else to do but play football. Last note, these guys play a schedule much closer to their pro league than any of the other major sports- NBA, NHL and MLB. If anything you hear the hitting the wall in the NBA more than NFL.

Your second point might be dumber than your first. Why wouldn't the NCAA complain about injuries. Sure injuries can happen any play but more plays means more injuries.

Under your plan why not a 64 team playoff? Players would really be ready for the NFL then and injuries can happen anyway.

16 teams playoffs can likely only happen if you limit the regular season games and/or title games more, its that plain and simple. With a conference title game and the national title game your talking 17 games total. I don't see that flying with the NCAA. In D1A- i believe 15 is the most you can play.

Last edited by dkrause1971; 01-15-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14
8-team playoff is a must, and here's the best method I've heard:

Top 8 ranked school make it in
(no conference champ auto-bids)

First 2 rounds are played at higher-seeds home field
(talk about motivation to get a 1 or 2 seed. What an advantage! And can you imagine the atmosphere at these football cathedrals for a playoff game! It wouldn't get any better!)

All 8 teams would end up in a BCS Bowl. The 4 Bowls would rotate best-to-worst game each year. So this year it would have been:

- Orange Bowl: Semifinal winners play each for Natl Championship
- Sugar Bowl: Semifinal losers play each other
- Fiesta: Highest-seeded quarterfinal losers play each other
- Rose: Lowest-seeded quarterfinal losers play each other

All the the other bowls can continue on as they always have, say for a few auto-bid tweaks here and there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
8-team playoff is a must, and here's the best method I've heard:

Top 8 ranked school make it in
(no conference champ auto-bids)

First 2 rounds are played at higher-seeds home field
(talk about motivation to get a 1 or 2 seed. What an advantage! And can you imagine the atmosphere at these football cathedrals for a playoff game! It wouldn't get any better!)

All 8 teams would end up in a BCS Bowl. The 4 Bowls would rotate best-to-worst game each year. So this year it would have been:

- Orange Bowl: Semifinal winners play each for Natl Championship
- Sugar Bowl: Semifinal losers play each other
- Fiesta: Highest-seeded quarterfinal losers play each other
- Rose: Lowest-seeded quarterfinal losers play each other

All the the other bowls can continue on as they always have, say for a few auto-bid tweaks here and there.
Yes, this is exaclty my preferred system. You have two weeks of playoffs in early December on campus, and then you have the typical Bowls as usual. One for the title, and then the other exibition matches where students can live out the "Bowl Experience" and fans can travel to places like Miami and Pacedena.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »