Home

The BCS Quandary and How Video Games Can Help

This is a discussion on The BCS Quandary and How Video Games Can Help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: The BCS Quandary and How Video Games Can Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
16 teams playoffs can likely only happen if you limit the regular season games and/or title games more, its that plain and simple.
Agreed.... and that is exactly what should happen. There's no reason for a team to play 13 regular season games like some SEC or Big XII teams do every year. If injuries are really a problem, then why should a team play 13 games when they were eliminated from title contention after their 2nd loss?

11 game season + conference championships + 16 team playoff.

It's not like most teams are going to suddenly be playing 15+ game seasons now. Only 2 teams would be playing 15/16 games and 2 additional teams would be playing 14/15 games. As the system stands right now, 11 teams played 14 games this season. I don't think 1-2 additional games are going to kill an elite college football team.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 9

^^What about the other two BCS teams? They need to promote the Cotton Bowl to being a big bowl like it used to be so that it can be a BCS bowl and the other two teams could play in that.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
11 game season + conference championships + 16 team playoff.
10 game season + conference championships + 16 team playoff

Or maybe they can add the independent teams to the conferences with eight or nine teams... and drop down the twelve conference teams. Even it out to ten or eleven for all of the conferences so there's nto as much as a four-school discrepency between the biggest and smallest conferences.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 24

I personally like the 12 team schedule with 4 byes. Its only a 3 week playoff that way and getting a Bye is a huge advantage for those teams to push for. People cannot say the regular season is meaningless with the byes is my feeling. Plus, with one less week than the 16 team playoff its easier to sell.

I just don't see the teams giving up a 12 game season in an way. The title games maybe but not 12 revenue days.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5
This debate can (and has) go on for years. Personally, I'm in favor of the 16-team playoff that youALREADYknow uses as an example, my friend and I had the same idea. I think it is a must, to include every conference in the championship hunt (giving relevance to every conference), even if it is with a fighters chance. Even then, it could possibly advance the parity that is beginning to emerge in college football. Good players may choose to go to "mid-major" schools for a chance at a title and having their team in a national title hunt can bring exposure to the school as well.

To comment on some things in the article, I don't know if Utah has an anti-trust case because they are given a shot at the BCS every year (by winning their conference and finishing in the top 12 BCS rankings), and were included in the BCS twice, so they are allowed to participate.

Also, I'd thought you might like to know that saying BCS Series is redundant, as the 'S' in BCS stands for series, so it's like saying Bowl Championship Series Series. Insightful article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #22
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8
Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs? Playoffs??

College football has the best regular season in all of sports. Lose to an Appalachian State to open the season and you're toast. And the championship *was* decided on the field. USC lost the national championship on the field in Corvalis. Texas lost the national championship courtesy of Mr. Crabtree and Co.

Ok, so Utah didn't lose it on the field but .... too bad. Either get out of that 2nd rate conference or move down to the FCS divison and have your playoffs.

Look at the NFL this year. Both #1 seeds are gone in the divisional round. Home field advantage hasn't been a factor. A 9-7 team is hosting the NFC Championship. Are you telling me if the Cardinals and the Ravens meet in the superbowl they are the 2 best teams in the league?

Keep the BCS format.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

I've always been in favor of the 16 team playoff, with the 11 conference champs in and the 5 best at-large teams in to fill it out.

Move Temple out of the MAC, make them an independent again, or expand conferences that are smaller to fill out.

Start play the same time you do now, last weekend in August and end the weekend before Thanksgiving. 12 weeks, you play EVERYONE in your conference. If you still have smaller conferences, IE Big East with only 8 teams, you fill out your 5 games with non-conference rivalry games. This allows all the schools to play non-conference rivalry games they may have. Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Notre Dame-USC, etc.

This system SHOULD eliminate the need for conference championships, because tie-breakers would be in place. Once in a blue moon, (see Texas-Texas Tech-Oklahoma) an issue might arise.

Playoffs begin the weekend of Thanksgiving, people are already off work most of the time anyways. Play 4 games Friday and 4 games Saturday, top seeds get the home field advantage, with the top 8 ranked conferences getting those slots no matter what.

National Championship game played on January 1st.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick02
Id like to see an option when starting your season if you want Bowl Games, And One, 16 team playoffs, 8 team playoffs. Could easily be done just like how baseball allows you to choose number of games.
Good idea, but the NCAA license prevents EA from giving us this option. One of the downsides to entities taking more control of their license than they have in the past.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »