Home

You know what's really bad about this game/series?

This is a discussion on You know what's really bad about this game/series? within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
MVP
 
youALREADYknow's Arena
 
OVR: 28
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 3,629
Re: You know what's really bad about this game/series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
The real issue will always be the limitations of an AI script based engine.

They need to put positional reads into the game based on formations then allow the attributes to determine how the players perform on execution of these reads. Percentage-wise, more skilled players will beat lessor skilled players - but sometimes the lessor team will win at the line of scrimmage or execute a great gameplan and take down the giant. (UF vs Ole Miss or Utah vs Bama)

To watch my center make the wrong block on a off guard run based on whether the defense blitzes is ridiculous. When they blitz, the center will double the DT and allow the LB to walk into the backfield. If the LB is in man or zone, the center will progress to the second level and take the LB out of the play. That's just foolish football.
These are all things that can be done today with program logic though. Why EA hasn't advanced to that level of thought is stilll a mystery to me. They seem more interested in making the typical video game than making the best football game possible.
youALREADYknow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
MVP
 
stoncold32's Arena
 
OVR: 17
Join Date: Jul 2002
Re: You know what's really bad about this game/series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
The real issue will always be the limitations of an AI script based engine.

They need to put positional reads into the game based on formations then allow the attributes to determine how the players perform on execution of these reads. Percentage-wise, more skilled players will beat lessor skilled players - but sometimes the lessor team will win at the line of scrimmage or execute a great gameplan and take down the giant. (UF vs Ole Miss or Utah vs Bama)

To watch my center make the wrong block on a off guard run based on whether the defense blitzes is ridiculous. When they blitz, the center will double the DT and allow the LB to walk into the backfield. If the LB is in man or zone, the center will progress to the second level and take the LB out of the play. That's just foolish football.
The thing is, I was fine with the way it used to be. I've had my fair share of games where I was upset by lesser teams and beaten by lesser players. That's also where working sliders really help.

But yeah, you're spot on about the blitzers just walking right on through while the linemen turn in the wrong direction. I don't mind it sometimes, but it seems to happen more often now than it did in the past which is just unacceptable.
stoncold32 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Banned
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: Dec 2008
Re: You know what's really bad about this game/series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
The thing is, I was fine with the way it used to be. I've had my fair share of games where I was upset by lesser teams and beaten by lesser players. That's also where working sliders really help.
The only time I was beaten by the CPU in the past is when it went into robo-superman-mode and the QB would knock of 2 DEs while tossing a 5 yard pass that bounces off a defender into the arms of a WR who breaks 12 tackles on the way to the endzone. Heh. I exaggerate but not much.

What I would look for in the game of the future is a field position battle. Where punting is actually a part of the game. Where moving the ball 20 yards and only getting a FG was a victory rather than a failure. Where having an efficient ground game (or running the ball) isn't a penalty.

Quote:
But yeah, you're spot on about the blitzers just walking right on through while the linemen turn in the wrong direction. I don't mind it sometimes, but it seems to happen more often now than it did in the past which is just unacceptable.
Now, the AI is scripted (at least on runs) for the linemen to ignore the oncoming backers ... which is just ... well, wrong.
Bama83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Top -