Home

Why can't people lose gracefully?

This is a discussion on Why can't people lose gracefully? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Why can't people lose gracefully?

I'm curious about this because this has become a growing topic in an online dynasty I'm in.

I think I'm a pretty good player at the game, I don't cheese, my online ranked record is something in the area of 65-9, in my dynasty I picked North Carolina while everyone else is using teams like Penn State, Texas, USC etc.

Now I've won 3 straight national titles, and built my team up from close to nothing, the majority of my team is freshman and sophomores I have something like 11 juniors and seniors combined and still have the lowest rated team in the dynasty at 81 overall.

The guys who control Texas and Penn State have become overly nasty to me because they can't beat me...the Texas guy I just took it or the most part as being pissed off that he lost...

Now Penn state guy on the other hand, I will explain what happened and you guys tell me what the deal is...his team is a 94 overall, I beat him 63-7 I did everything I could to not run up the score...I threw the ball a grand total of 4 times the entire game, 1 time the entire 2nd half.

I will now show you guys the messages I was sent by him since I'm curious to hear opinions...

yeah I'm resigning from the shredder league. No sense in frustrating myself anymore. mecca plays the way he wants to play and anything else is cheese. I even resorted to putting all my fast guys on offense to counter his hb's speed. I don't want to be like that. I think I'll stick the feedback league. it isn't fun to have the same guy win all the time. Pissed me off 49-7 and he's not even kicking off to me
--------
What he means by not kicking off is he has 99 and 98 speed guys as his returners so I was popping it up short and to the side on purpose so one of the up men would catch it...Isn't this good strategy?

So I basically ask him I don't see how short kickoffs is a bad thing and if he just expects me to let him win and I'm met with this...

**** you. If you have any sportsmanship or decency you should at least try to play a level playing field. Yeah, you should let me win. Up 49-7 you don't bother kicking off, up 49-7 you're blitzing your de full bore, up 49-7 your running fade routes to your 99 speed hb (who didn't play much if any at hb, but hey playing guys out of position is bad right, mecca. oh wait not if it benefits you. kinda like rolling out to pass, bad unless you do it)

it's one thing to win and be good at this game. it's entirely another to try to rub someone's nose in it.
----

He thinks flipping my RB into a WR spot is playing a guy out of position..here was what I said back obviously looking for some kind of reasonable response...

I threw the ball 4 god damn times how is that rubbing someones nose in it...I threw the ball a grand total of 1 time the entire second half, once again how is that rubbing someones nose in it?

And for the record I don't know how I was throwing fades to my RB up 49-7 when he had 2 catches both coming in the 1st quarter..he had 2 damn catches 2.

What am I suppose to do start kneeing the ball in the 3rd quarter? I was exclusively handing off, I don't know how much more conservative I can go, if you can't stop the run that isn't my problem.

I also don't think sportsmanship involves turning into a child when you lose or taking your ball and going home.

I didn't tell you to fumble a kickoff or throw a pick 6, and I didn't blitz you AT ALL, it was straight Dline pressure, I can't just make them stop rushing.

All I know is I've never started lining up in punt returns on 1st down or punted the ball on 1st down...what is that about?
----
The opening play of the game was me kicking to an open man him trying to lateral it back and it turning into a scoop and score for me...that isn't really my problem I don't believe.

But anyway I give him all of that just looking for a reasonable answer how what I did was wrong and all he answers with is this..

mecca, its not your fault. you're just a douche.

So basically what is the deal with people if I lost by a huge score I'd say I played like **** I wouldn't start flipping out and quitting and acting like a 5 year old that took his ball and went home.

I'd like some thoughts on this, before I joined this dynasty I made the joke that I'd end up getting kicked out because they couldn't beat me...looks like it's getting closer to that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Why can't people lose gracefully?

Leagues are no fun when there is one dominant player. I have absolutely no idea how it could be any fun for YOU, especially.

You say your record is 69-7. Most of the people in our league have probably played a grand total of around 20-30 user vs. user games online, and almost all of them have come in our dynasty. Personally, I wouldn't want guys like you in our league. Because honestly, I think the game is too easy on offense to expect really good players to not run up the score. And again, absolutely no idea how winning 3 titles in a row with NC is any fun for you.

And PS... Since this seems to be what you're looking for... congrats for being so good at NCAA football.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Rookie

I wasn't looking for that...

I just want to know why he's getting that mad over a game, am I suppose to purposely lose? I picked a worse team than everyone else did on purpose.

I don't know what the how can it be any fun comment means, I expect to win when I play, if someone can give me a challenge great, if not that is their problem not mine, I'm not going to hold their hand so they can keep it close.

And I'm better at defense than offense the most points I've given up in a user dynasty game is 20.

You are basically telling me, you wouldn't want me in your league because I'm good, how's that make any sense? So because I'm good at the game I shouldn't be in leagues now?

I don't even think I'm that great to tell you the truth if you play smart you can play with me and not get blown out, this guy had a fumble returned for a TD and 2 pick 6's if you turn the ball over like that you're gonna get smoked against anyone.

Last edited by Mecca; 02-01-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca
this guy had a fumble returned for a TD and 2 pick 6's if you turn the ball over like that you're gonna get smoked against anyone.

Definitely true. So now you're not that good? Is the league just bad? I like having good, solid players in my leagues, I'm just saying, it's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole to have guys like you in a casual league, because you obviously have a ton of gaming time. How many leagues are you in? Add up the 78 ranked games that you've played with all the online dynasty games you've ever played... I bet you've played at least five times as many user games online than I have... If the other guys in the league are anything like me (casual about the game) they're just not gonna have that much of a shot against you.

I'll give you an example. I'm really into Forza 2. I've spent like 65 hours racing online in that game, which compared to some isn't a lot, but I'm a top 25, top 50 driver in that game depending on the track and class because I'm dedicated to that game and I've just played the everloving crap out of it. Do you think i'd join a series with a bunch of beginners and/or casual gamers, just beat the tar out of them, and somehow have fun? I'd just be running laps by myself man. No fun at all.

It really sounds to me like you need to find a hardcore league and you'd probably enjoy it more, and eventually be able to lose gracefully yourself.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Rookie

Ok I understand your point better now, it's the only online league I'm in since I know the people and I figured I'd have no issue playing people I know.

And yes NCAA is one of my most played games, that and Fallout 3 are about all I play and I've been playing football games for many many years.

I told them before I joined I was good it wasn't a shocker they all told me they were too. I would say I think I'm pretty good, I don't think I'm the superstar best player ever or anything like that. Sometime they give me good games other times I work them over...they are just very inconsistent.

Personally I think what has happened is the first 2 years they all kept the games close with me because my team wasn't very good, one season I beat Penn State 24-21 with a TD pass with 15 seconds remaining...his team overall was 20 points better than mine..

As the talent differential is closing the close games are disappearing, so now when they use to not say much they are getting upset with me.

I really really tried to not blow him out, I took all my starters out, I was handing off every single play in the 2nd half. He honestly seemed more upset that I wouldn't kickoff to his superspeed guys than anything, everyone knows the coverage AI on the game is bad, people pop kick on me I don't say anything it's a strategy, if you'd rather give up good field position to avoid a possible huge return go for it.

I just have a really hard time feeling sorry for a guy who has 10 guys rated higher than my best player.

I'm enjoying the dynasty because I like the team I've built to this point, hell I played a guy using Kansas earlier in the season and won 28-14.

I think in the end the point I was trying to make is, why is a guy who frankly played awful acting like it's my fault he was awful? If I did what he did I'd blame myself for letting it get out of hand.

Also he's one of the players who when you start beating him, he starts purposely taking delay of game penalties and lining up in punt returns on 1st down, like I kicked off to him and he punted the ball back to me on 1st down...it's hard to feel sympathy for someone who just gives up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

Not calling you a liar, but I don't know anyone who has your winning percentage (65-9) that isn't a cheeser of some sort. I avoid ranked games with people with records like that simply because when I didn't I faced the biggest cheeseballs I've ever face.

Also, you can say that you handed the ball off the entire second half, but your HB has a 99 speed and is obviously your "go-to" guy if you're putting him at WR.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 24

I would agree with parts of what others have said. Your clearly better than people in that league if your winning all the time with a 81 rated team. Should people act nicer in losing, sure but really its easy to judge them when your never losing.

Also, your a 81 team loaded with speed, it sounds like, so based on that you might really have the best team. In a Heisman SEC league i am in a guy is leading for the Heisman (in week 15) with some 66 OV- 97 speed HB doing that flexbone option. While all the 90+ something backs were not really even close to the guy.

In my experiences most don't have a fit when they lose in my experiences unless they feel they are being cheezed or embarrassed.

Last edited by dkrause1971; 02-01-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
MVP

InspectahDeck's Arena

OVR: 18

I don't think many people know how to win or lose "gracefully" on this game. So many people think they are legit when they are not. You can't start a league without a cheeser. We are talking about mostly males who range from 16-30 yrs old for the most part. Everyone wants to win everyone knows you can exploit the AI. It's just a recipe for a lot of drama.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »