Home

Big time update to Flexbone in NCAA 2010

This is a discussion on Big time update to Flexbone in NCAA 2010 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Big time update to Flexbone in NCAA 2010

I just read the info over at NCAA Strategies. Yes! The shotgun running plays were not blocked correctly causing them to be almost useless to run.

Great update!
Old 03-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steebu
True, just because you have 4 and 5* guys on the roster doesn't mean you can make the offense work.

BUT

Look at what Paul Johnson did at Georgia Tech. He used a guy who came from a run n' shoot, dink n' dunk offense in high school (Josh Nesbitt), didn't have ANY of his "system" guys, and they go 9-3 and win a share of the ACC Coastal. So it CAN be done. But, I see what you're saying. I have no diea how you can actually get that to work in the video game, though.
Paul Johnson's offense is basically the run n' shoot with a better running game, Slotbacks/Wingbacks act as recievers on passing plays so the defense is confused, and never know to expect a running play or passing play especially seeing how the run in shoot motions slotbacks too.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Rookie

miami01's Arena

OVR: 6

The PSP version has a MUCH better flexbone playbook than the PS3 version. It has way more plays for some reason
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steebu
Well, I'll believe it when I see it. Did my post about the option being broken get taken personally? I hope so! :-)

I'm appreciative that they're looking at it, but I'm a bit worried by the semantics used. First of all, Georgia Tech doesn't use a Flex Bone offense. The Flex Bone can and often does use a tight end. Georgia Tech runs a spread option, which uses four wide receivers and NO tight ends. There isn't a single tight end on the GT roster. Air Force, I believe, is the only team that uses the Flex Bone offense (often out of the shotgun, too). Navy runs the spread as well, as PJ's former QB coach is now the head coach there.

My whole point is I wanted the OPTION fixed. I don't care if they now have 280 new plays that can be run out of the "flexbone" formation. The OPTION needs to be fixed, meaning, the blocking schemes must get fixed. What would be really spectacular is if I call a triple with a load blocking scheme called, notice a numbers advantage to the other side, and when I audible my line changes the blocking scheme to a veer-in. HA! Expecting too much? Probably. But I still hope they fixed the OPTION, and not the "Flexbone".
Plenty of people who run what PJ runs call it the flexbone (I can't post a link because I've got less than 5 posts but "flexboneassociation dot com" is a place where like-minded coaches do so). I know PJ calls it the spread and hates being called a wishbone team but...rose by any other name sort of thing.

Anyway, I completely share your frustration with the game and harbor skepticism about it ever getting fixed. I think 99% of the people who buy the game don't care about how football actually works and EA thus has no incentive to fix things that are minutia to the game-buying populace.

But still........it's as if THEY don't understand how it works. Fullback dive - then quarterback run. There it is - option!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CObra-la
Paul Johnson's offense is basically the run n' shoot with a better running game, Slotbacks/Wingbacks act as recievers on passing plays so the defense is confused, and never know to expect a running play or passing play especially seeing how the run in shoot motions slotbacks too.
Only sort of.

PJ took a lot from the Mouse Davis-style Run and Shoot - you're definitely right about that. I mean, the formation is practically identical.

But the RnS was a pass-first offense. In the flexbone/spread, it's all about the veer option. Everything is grounded in that.

PJ's more advanced passing game, which he has used when he's had the personal and when it's been an advantage (Navy vs. Cal in 96? I think. They threw for well over 300 yards) IS very influenced by the RnS. Which, IMO, is fascinating, because the RnS is based on options too - - - the WRs have multiple-option routes based on coverages that they read on the fly. In both the triple and the RnS, the defense is always wrong IF the offense chooses correctly.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

A lot of people don't know that Paul Johnson used to be Hawaii's offensive coordinator also.

When he was the OC at GSU in the mid-80's there were several 300 yard passing games. PJ will throw the ball...you just have to force him to. No reason to throw it when he can just run it down your throat.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
Rookie

Oh yeah. There are a few clips of youtube of some of his Hawaii teams.

Years later, what did June Jones run at Hawii? The Run and Shoot!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #16
Rookie

Other things that could be used in the game's flexbone that are used in real life:

1) Over formations - these go by different names, but the look I'm talking about is this

-----LT-LG-C-RG-RT----X----Z
----A ----Q--------A
----------B

Where X is now an ineligible receiver. This gives you an extra blocker on the edge, gives you a short edge to the weak side, and often clears a man out of the box. You lose the receiving potential you get out of Trips, but it's helpful in some ways and is certainly used by Tech and Navy.

--------X-LG-C-RG-RT-LT-------Z
-------A-----Q-------A
-------------B

Here's an unbalanced one that is used occasionally. The tackle comes over, giving you some added beef, a short edge on one side, and causes some confusion in coverage.

2) Rocket Toss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You get "WB Sweep" in the playbook out of a few formations but the blocking and motion is so terrible that it's never effective in the way that it should be. The playside offensive linemen are supposed to get to the edge immediately, leaving the interior defensive linemen alone (unless one tries to cross their face), and the A-Back is supposed to catch it behind where a theoretical tight end is. It's a perimeter play, not one designed for early cutbacks.

3) Midline option. Probably asking for a little much.

4) Zone dive instead of fullback dive.

5) Non-option counter to the triple option. Something like -
Fake option to one side, give to non-motioning playside slot, who is going in opposite direction, possibly following a pulling guard.
Cal-Poly runs something like this, if I'm not mistaken.

from the option thread:

6) Another play that'd be nice, IF they could run it correctly, is the Speed/FB Counter Option/whatever you want to call it, that PJ uses a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLwz-I2QOE

Here they run it away from the Trips side and the pulling guard logs the end. It's one of those plays that is usually a pitch, if only because the QB generally is taught to attack outside instead of inside shoulder of the pitch key.

I guess this should be in the flexbone thread though

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »