Home

OMT- What We Need is Improved Presentation

This is a discussion on OMT- What We Need is Improved Presentation within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #25
Rookie

the onizzle's Arena

OVR: 4
Icon2 Re: OMT- What We Need is Improved Presentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
The commentary wasn't better on 07 than it is now. Also, the cutscenes were panned on this website at the time, so we replaced them with a real huddle break.
I wonder how much the PS3 getting an essential port in NCAA 08 affected the amount of content could be carried over from the already established 07 game we saw on 360. I've always thought that's the main reason why progressive lighting, and smaller things like cutscenes were removed from both systems in order to keep them congruent. PS3 guys would be raging maniacs if the 360 version was noticeably more attractive, and frankly a lot of them were with the whole 60FPS vs. 30FPS ordeal between systems in NCAA 08.

I realize I mostly just read the boards and don't bother posting, but it didn't seem like there has been any real explanation for why the graphics have bounced around so much. With two years of a 60FPS engine + finalized player models I truly hope EA will deliver an immersive visual experience this season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: OMT- What We Need is Improved Presentation

The problem with previous presentations was it was boring and generic. If they personalize the presentation and its not the samething every game this could really be fun. If teams come out like they really do in real life thats something that gets you amped and ready to go especially if they profile players. That the key to presentation is making it feel like its different everytime or else after two games it just gets skipped!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #27
MVP

olemiss86's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
^^^ Why replace Nessler? He's been fantastic in the NCAA games.
I feel its time to put the current Gameday crew on there. Nessler has been good, but I think we need the current crew. Its not a stupid request. Its a suggestion.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
The commentary wasn't better on 07 than it is now.
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying the commentary was better then, I was just saying that it was solid. That's the one thing that hasn't changed since 07, and Brad Nessler continues to be the bright spot which we both certainly agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Also, the cutscenes were panned on this website at the time, so we replaced them with a real huddle break.
I have a lot to say about this...

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "panned" (EDIT: My mistake. For some reason, at the time, I misunderstood the use of panned, lol) but I assume that it means they weren't well received at the time, but there was a larger reason for that and I'll mention that in a moment...

But, I'm sorry... the replacement just hasn't sufficed at all. I didn't even realize there was an actual replacement because to me it just seems like it was replaced with nothing, just like the situation with Madden. We're not getting anything out of what's been done since cutscenes were 86'ed. It's a massive downgrade and it's severely hurt the presentation. Also, the huddle-lineup sequence is all wrong. The QB and others are constantly running/jogging to the line and it all looks awkward just like the no-huddle sequence. If anything, just having the cutscene to cover that up would've been best, but just like I told Ian, the huddle-lineup and no-huddle sequences just need to be completely redone because they are just not sim at all right now.

Rather than getting rid of cutscenes, there should've been more of them with greater variety, multiple angles, etc. Instead, the baby was thrown out with the bath water rather than improving it and it was a bad idea to do that and one of the things you see come up time after time when we talk about presentation here. You can't properly present the sport of football without cutscenes and the past two seasons have proven that concretely. The presentation has been awful. It's one of the things that's hurt Madden as well.

Imagine a TV broadcast that didn't have cut-to-scene of players and coaches in various situations? It would be unimagineable. It wouldn't be a TV broadcast. I don't know what it would be, but I know it wouldn't be interesting or engaging and that's where we are now with NCAA and Madden.

When you look at a lot of the presentation complaints they're centered around the lack of cutscenes and TV-style post-play camera work.

One of the reasons there was venom over the cutscenes back in 07 is because there was no variety. I think anyone would get bored with seeing the same thing over and over again. Now me, I didn't mind it too much, but I can understand why this became a deal for some. Also, I think both NCAA and Madden Team's have assumed that because a small group of people complain about the scenes that means everybody hates it so they should be cut out. I can see the online players complaining because of the mindset of that play style, but the online guys don't rule the landscape even though it may seem like it when visiting sites like OS and others. The offline single-player is still as strong as ever and it feels like EA is ignoring this to their own peril. All of these cuts have ruined the single-player presentation experience and that is without question where all of your presentation complaints are coming from; the single-player utterly frustrated that our experience has been cut and replaced with nothing to fill the void.

The alternative should've been to have an turn off-option for those who didn't want the cutscenes, not throwing them out completely. It's just taken the presentation down to a point that there really is nothing meaningful there. It's just empty now.

When you look at NCAA 07, you see large shots with stat overlays and very well-placed cutscenes. It looked broadcast. It felt like you guys were right on the brink of making a big impact this generation with this. Then 08 came and it all disappeared and we're left with a product that feels naked and that hasn't changed much at all with 09.

I'll just end this post with this... The first NCAA I played on 360 was 08. I thought it was a good game. Then a year later I bought 07 for like $5. In 07 I saw FAR superior lighting, actual presentation that looked good and really brought the game's realism up, and you know what the game wasn't too bad playing either. And then I said to myself "what the heck did I ever see in 08? That game was completely stripped down." Then 09 came out and I saw that the disparity between where presentation was headed in 07 and where it is with 09 was still in effect. I shouldn't be able to go back to the 07 game and come away with that feeling. I think a lot of gamers would do the same, except a lot of people have never seen 07. If they did, they'd have to come away wondering what happened just like I did because the difference is like night and day and 08 and 09 are definitely in the dark of night by comparison with respect to just presentation.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 03-04-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss86
I feel its time to put the current Gameday crew on there. Nessler has been good, but I think we need the current crew. Its not a stupid request. Its a suggestion.
I don't think it's stupid at all. Initially I was going to ask in my last post if you wanted this as a fresh start sort of deal. I can understand that. I think the concern though is, if you bring new guys in will they do as well as the main stays have done?

I'm not too big a fan of Corso and Herbstreit because they really do sound like two guys reading their lines with mediocre effectiveness, whereas Nessler sounds just like he does on TV, smooth, natural and on the mark. Hell, a Nessler-Collinsworth team would be bananas since they both sound so natural in these video games. I mean really, that would be crazy.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
The commentary wasn't better on 07 than it is now. Also, the cutscenes were panned on this website at the time, so we replaced them with a real huddle break.
I'm not sure you're at liberty to give an objective opinion. No offense, but maybe your responses on this particular board should be limited to "Ya, we can do that," "Ya, that's gonna be in the game," or "No, we can't do that right now."

Really, no offense, but you're killing me with the "The commentary wasn't better on 07 than it is now." comment. It just seems like you're saying that because you work for EA. No offense, I guess...

And the cutscenes were really cool. They definitely could've been more varied, but they were alright... I remember reading about there were gonna be cutsscenes again in Madden 09, but I didn't see any when I had the game and, as far as I can tell, there aren't any in NCAA 09.

It's fine to take that stuff out online or at least have an on/off switch for them, but that sort of thing makes or breaks an off-line experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Agreed 100%. We are blessed with having Nessler be our play by play guy. A lot of these guys may be good on TV, but don't do so well in a recording booth. Nessler nails it, usually on the first take.
Of course you do. He's a great guy, but it's sort of like you're just feeding us the company line because the decision's already been made and you can't do anything about it. No offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexdawg
One thing I would like to see is two group of broadcasters. One for the smaller games and Brad, Kirk, and Lee could do the major games.
Ya, as opposed to the nothing at all we currently have for smaller games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss86
Definitely, bro. I agree one-hundred percent.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:22 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 9

Just my opinion, but I never want to hear any other voice but Brad Nessler calling my NCAA games. It just won't work for me.

Take an objective look at commentary in as many sports games as you can find, and Nessler will be one of if not the best.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 25

The funny thing is most all of this was implemented in College Hoops 2K8.

OMT, pick up a copy of that game. I know it's a competitor, but that's how presentation should be done. They didn't even have the ESPN license, yet they could make the "2K Sports Network" seem real. From the beginning where they disucss the key matchups, to the sideline reports discussing the halftime coaching changes, it made you feel like it was real. At the end of the week, there would be a 2K Sports Wrapup, which highlighted everything from the past week. There were also special shows such as the season preview, and the Selection Sunday show which felt just as nervewracking as the real thing if you were a bubble team.

My Teams: Green Bay Packers, Wisconsin Badgers, Marquette Golden Eagles, Milwaukee Brewers, Virginia Tech Hokies, Texas Longhorns, Houston Texans, Houston Rockets

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »