Home

What QB system will they implement?

This is a discussion on What QB system will they implement? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
What QB system will they implement?

Since hearing the news that Madden new QB ratings where just Madden new QB ratings. First i was upset but after hearing that passing radius was in and that they had there own system in mind for NCAA i felt better that the passing game would be addressed. Naturally curiousity is kicking in now im force to think about what new QB system will they implement? So what "System" do they have in mind I hope not something corny! So what do you guys think this mystery "System" will be?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: What QB system will they implement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I think you are remembering a quote from me. DO wouldn't have said that.

We used to be totally separate, and it was really hard to get fixes or changes back and forth to each other. Now there's this really clever code architecture where everything is shared by default, and then we have these layers of data built on top of the code allowing us to segment any game-specific changes separately. The ratings, for example, are in one of those layers though. Those have been copy/pasted from team to team in year's past...but the reason they are in separate layers is so we can make changes to how those ratings differentiate the game without breaking each other's games. If this wasn't the case, the tuning we're having to do to the game due to Donny's new ratings philosophy would be breaking NCAA all over the place. Same with CPU AI, playbooks, and TONS of gameplay tuning variables (fatigue, player turn rates, pursuit, speed curve, etc). This way, designers (for the most part) can tune the games to make them feel separate exactly how we want instead of having engineers copy and paste code into both game locations, or worse, in the code having stuff like:

Code:
if (Madden)
   fumbleChance *= .08
else if (NCAA)
   fumbleChance *= .05
For us, compiling the game on these new next-gen platforms takes typically anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes...so that's the main reason we've pushed so much tuning out to data and other tools that allow live iteration. On PS2 it would take 25 seconds...we'd reboot, and see our changes...now it's just a total time killer to make code changes.

Anyway, in the case of the new ratings, that change is deliberate. As OMT said in one of his posts, they picked something else to add to the game instead of the new ratings. The gameplay code is kind of oblivious to what gets passed into it...that's the way you want it to be. Here's some pseudo architecture...Red is the gameplay code, green is Madden code, blue is NCAA code:

PASS BUTTON PUSHED
|
GET ACCURACY OF PASS
|
Determine Distance
|
Use mid, short, or deep acc to determine acc
|
Are you moving?
|
Use throw on run to mod acc penalty
|
Return Accuracy of Pass
|
THROW THE BALL

PASS BUTTON PUSHED
|
GET ACCURACY OF PASS
|
Use throw acc to determine acc
|
Are you moving?
|
Mod acc penalty with pre-set number
|
Return Accuracy of Pass
|
THROW THE BALL

Thats how Ian over in the madden forums described it
Old 02-28-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Thats how Ian over in the madden forums described it
No OMT said that NCAA has a different concept other than more QB ratings. He said that they were doing something different all together. Ian doesnt know what NCAA is doing this year that was just an example of how the new QB rating will work in Madden. So the question is what system or feature will NCAA use?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexdawg
No OMT said that NCAA has a different concept other than more QB ratings. He said that they were doing something different all together. Ian doesnt know what NCAA is doing this year that was just an example of how the new QB rating will work in Madden. So the question is what system or feature will NCAA use?

Hm, Well Ive said it before and I guess I have to say it again...We will have to wait and seelol

Getting info this early is both a blessing and a curse.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Hm, Well Ive said it before and I guess I have to say it again...We will have to wait and seelol

Getting info this early is both a blessing and a curse.
I started the thread so people can speculate. We know we have to wait so until then i wanted to know what other people guesses.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »