Home

DLine moves...

This is a discussion on DLine moves... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Rookie

VolPett's Arena

OVR: 5
DLine moves...

I am looking for some help when using rip/swim & spin pass rush moves when trying to break blocks.
  • Do you press RB/LB just before you engage a blocker or just before?
  • Is it best to tap RB/LB or hold it in?
  • Does it help to use turbo at the same time?
  • Does it help if I am squared up with the blocker or on his inside/outside shoulder?
  • Does the direction that I'm holding the right analog stick make any difference?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: DLine moves...

This isn't a direct response to you questions, Vol, but the most important thing I've noticed is that when engaged with an OL, they will always (literally) take away one side or the other, and taking the other side is the easiest way to get by.

I see guys complaining a lot about how the DL gets "stuck" on the OL, as if it's a glitch or something, when in fact what has happened is the player (i.e., the gamer) is too stubborn to take what the OL is giving him, so he continues to push his player into a spot where he's clearly dominated, thinking he can overcome it by hitting buttons. When he can't, the pass rush is "broken."

I've found, instead, that the moves (hitting buttons) aren't even wholly necessary; you can trigger all the DL animations just from pointing the stick at the right place at the right time and timing your use of the sprint button accordingly. If you rush left (7 & 8 o'clock, I mean) and hit a brick wall, go right (4 & 5 o'clock). I guarantee it will free you up.

In short, I tend to use the moves proper as more of a last resort to supplement my rush, opposed to using them as the focus of my rush. Once you master the simple stuff, when to use the buttons should become a lot clearer.

My two cents.

Last edited by Village Idiot; 06-29-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26

Good post Undefeated. I use a similar strategy until I get frustrated and then I start trying to use the triggers. But the triggers are pathetic. It usually takes me out of position by spinning or swimming the wrong way. I love when that happens too, I feel so rewarded for my work.

But Undefeated has the right idea, the d-pad or analog will help you more than anything.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
This isn't a direct response to you questions, Vol, but the most important thing I've noticed is that when engaged with an OL, they will always (literally) take away one side or the other, and taking the other side is the easiest way to get by.

I see guys complaining a lot about how the DL gets "stuck" on the OL, as if it's a glitch or something, when in fact what has happened is the player (i.e., the gamer) is too stubborn to take what the OL is giving him, so he continues to push his player into a spot where he's clearly dominated, thinking he can overcome it by hitting buttons. When he can't, the pass rush is "broken."

I've found, instead, that the moves (hitting buttons) aren't even wholly necessary; you can trigger all the DL animations just from pointing the stick at the right place at the right time and timing your use of the sprint button accordingly. If you rush left (7 & 8 o'clock, I mean) and hit a brick wall, go right (4 & 5 o'clock). I guarantee it will free you up.

In short, I tend to use the moves proper as more of a last resort to supplement my rush, opposed to using them as the focus of my rush. Once you master the simple stuff, when to use the buttons should become a lot clearer.

My two cents.

Good post.

I've never said the pass rush was "broken" because of that, but I've had some frustration. Specifically, I think the majority of defensive players should be strong enough that if you hit one of the move buttons, they should at least try to break the block. If they don't succeed, and get dominated, stood up or even pancaked, well tough cookies, but at least then you wouldn't feel like you were pushing buttons for nothing. Basically I hate it anytime I push a button and get nothign.

playing in the secondary, if I push triangle or the swat button and the ball is too far away... Go for it anyway! Don't just stand there!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
MVP

babyfat9's Arena

OVR: 14

I use RB/LB to try to shed the block then normally Speedburst afterwards.

Monsters of the Midway
Chicago Bears
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Rookie

VolPett's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated

My two cents.

Great post... I'm going to go practice on the demo!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 12

I'm not 100% on this, but didn't 06 have the oline moves with the right stick? I really miss that, it was a lot easier to use IMO.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Undefeated has it nailed. Just to add on to it, use the analog stick AND the hit stick to shed the blocks, it works wonders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »