Home

Make speed just like kick power!!

This is a discussion on Make speed just like kick power!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
Rookie

rwk2009's Arena

OVR: 5
Make speed just like kick power!!

I hate getting at least one 99 speed player every year, it should be something special. We are in the 2024 season and we have so many fast players, but a strong leg on a kicker is 90, really strong is 94, and we've never even seen a recruit come in with higher then 97. Why can't speed be like this? If one recruit in 10 seasons has 99 speed, I would be scared to play against that guy!

Speed should be special in the game, 99 shouldn't be a common thing.

There's my gripe.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Make speed just like kick power!!

I agree.

I also miss the old "scout prospect" feature. The listed 40 times usually weren't accurate (like real life). You could choose not to scout them if you wanted to ignore numbers.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 8

I agree with your reasoning but that can't happen in the game. Trindon Holiday, Percy Harvin, Jeff Demps, Chris Rainey, Joe McKnight and the rest of the 4.4, 4.3 40 kids are all spd freaks. What you can't have in the game (which is what I think you are talking about) is so many good players that have 97-99 spd. All track guys are not football players...meaning...just because the recruit has 99 spd doesn't mean he should automatically be able to cover, catch, break takles, etc. That type of player would only be a KR or PR cuz all he can do is run. lol
Old 03-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Rookie

99 speed should not be 4.16

Deon Sanders MAYBE ran that time once in his life. After 5 seasons in dynasty there are probably 15 players with 99speed in the game. That is just not realistic considering your DEs and MLBs are still running 4.5 at best.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Rookie

rwk2009's Arena

Harvin & Holliday aren't even 99 speed. Make the fast players between 90-94 speed, but anything above that should be truly special.

99 Speed should come around once a decade, not 4 times a season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Rookie

Colorado Cooler's Arena

OVR: 2

There is a huge misconception about speed among college fans and straight-ahead 40 speed is way overrated. Most of us believe that players are faster than they really are. Many of the player 40 times posted on Rivals and Scout recruiting sites are self-reported and not verified. Only four WRs (out of 36) ran under 4.4 at the NFL Combine in Indy and only two corners broke 4.5 RBs Javon Ringer of MSU was clocked at 4.6 and Shonn Green was 4.66. Vontae Davis of Illinois who was oft cited by Big Ten receivers as the toughest corner to play against ran a modest 4.49 but logged a ton of reps in the bench press. College playmakers often possess a combination of strength, acceleration, agility, and awareness that makes them great. Unfortunately, that kind of athleticism is tough for EA to replicate. In lieu of athleticism, speed dominates the game.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
Rookie

rwk2009's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cooler
There is a huge misconception about speed among college fans and straight-ahead 40 speed is way overrated. Most of us believe that players are faster than they really are. Many of the player 40 times posted on Rivals and Scout recruiting sites are self-reported and not verified. Only four WRs (out of 36) ran under 4.4 at the NFL Combine in Indy and only two corners broke 4.5 RBs Javon Ringer of MSU was clocked at 4.6 and Shonn Green was 4.66. Vontae Davis of Illinois who was oft cited by Big Ten receivers as the toughest corner to play against ran a modest 4.49 but logged a ton of reps in the bench press. College playmakers often possess a combination of strength, acceleration, agility, and awareness that makes them great. Unfortunately, that kind of athleticism is tough for EA to replicate. In lieu of athleticism, speed dominates the game.

Exactly! Speed kills, and it should be a big time difference maker, but it shouldn't be the difference maker. We created a WR from some town in Tennessee because a guy in our online dynasty uses wr speed like no other, so we gave the guy 99 speed, but catching, catch in traffic, and spectacular catch all in the 40's, but this guy still had 10 touchdowns as the third wideout last year. Make things matter other then speed.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 4

I agree... it definitly gets old after a few years of recruiting when you basically figure out that all you need to do is recruit 2* players with fast 40 times to have a dominant passing game.

I am hopeful that the remarks regarding a scaling down of the ratings in Madden will follow suit in NCAA.

You mention Percy Harvin as a guy that "needs" to be 99 speed... he wasn't even the fastest WR at the combine... he ran something like a 4.41.

I think Ted Ginn was another guy that "had" to have 99 speed (4.38 40 at teh combine)... and yet Isaiah Stanback from UW ran a similar 100m time (10.4) and 40 time (4.42) and he was a QB that had 87 or 89 speed. I totally agree that 94 should be a stud speedster and 99 should be a Green Sanders like guy that is truely once in a generation fast.

Last edited by Biodawg03; 03-09-2009 at 08:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »