Home

Limiting playbook

This is a discussion on Limiting playbook within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Limiting playbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators
Practice has to somehow figure into this. Take UGA for example this season. Joe Cox has sit behind Stafford for three years, but I guarantee he knows every play. He may cannot make the throws, but the has been there long enough to know the plays and it's pretty much because of three years of practice as the main backup.

Maybe practice can figure into this as well. I love the idea though.
Yeah, that's in the Coaches section. You would be given a certain amount of time to work on plays depending on how good your coaches are. That would making hiring coaches matter a little more. I've never played a game where coaches matter.

I am in agreement with the idea that you wouldn't want a QB to come in and have few if any passing plays. That's why each play has a rating of it's own and the player has to be at or above that level to run the play. You would have easy passing plays just like you would have easy running plays. It wouldn't be a random thing and would be based on the amount of "action" (guards pulling, stunting, crossing routes, play action, etc.) in the play. The same could apply to defenses as well.

The best thing would be to feel hamstrung by a true freshman coming in and playing. I usually have no fear putting a 4* true freshman in a game because there's so many play options. If he's limited I will have to decide if my steady, more experience Sr. rated at 88 will be better than my income 83 rated hotshot QB (example ratings, of course). If my senior is a 90 on playbook and my freshman is a 40, it will make the decision that much more important.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I dont like the idea of limiting what can be done in games. My motto is dont limit what I can do figure out why it doesnt work in real life then apply. So instead of not allowing inexperienced players to run certain plays just make them really bad at the plays they dont know well.
I agree with the sentimant but I believe that this is quite realistic in it's core form since you can bet that if your team has a returning QB, they aren't throwing all their practice time behind the incoming freshman QB to let him not only study a playbook, but watch those plays develop on the field.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
Rookie

ryby6969's Arena

I think something like this could be done with hot routes and audibles. How many true freshmen are given the ability to call audibles and hot routes irl? I think there needs to be something to limit the effectiveness of starting true freshman at qb just because there physical attributes are incredible. Just a thought but not sure how this could be implemented.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 8

If composure and ratings work correctly, you as the player will limit your playbook. I would rather see your QBs having trouble knowing the letters of the receivers and the routes not be known, kind of like it is now when the QBs are rattled. Because I don't want to be totally restricted. If I choose to put my left tackle at QB and call streaks and option plays obviously my success at those plays will be slim...scratch that NONE. So already I would limit my playbook I don't need or want the game to tell me that because I would lose all "lucky" oppurtunities that could happen. Meaning once your experienced QB went down you might as well quit playing the game. I would love this idea implemented this way....disabling the preview play at the line of scrimmage for inexperienced players, and like someone else said limit the audibles and hot routes.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 24

Any kind of "playbook" rating is a great addition, IMO. I loved how it worked in Head Coach. You couldn't start players who didn't know the playbook well because they didn't know all the plays and would mess them up. You'd have to make the decision to try to play the more talented player who knows a few players or the less talented player who knows all of them.

It'd be great if you had a stud QB who got hurt, but the backup QB is a senior who knows the playbook well and can come in and get it done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
Rookie

I like the audible idea as well. Any realistic limitations you can put on a player to keep the freshman playing like freshman.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »