Home

NCAA Football 10 Blog: Player Lock and Defensive Assist

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 10 Blog: Player Lock and Defensive Assist within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #41
NCAA Football 10 Designer

Russell_Kiniry_EA's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: NCAA Football 10: Player Lock and Defensive Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Nice additions....BUUUUUUUTTTT....

The screen shot of the Miami DB doing the classic EA "jump 40 feet in the air and do the Volleyball swat" motion as a cheap way of defending passes needs to die a horrible death.

MOST of the time....a DB is going to simply go stride for stride with the WR and stick a hand in the WR's face or get his hands inside of the WRs hands and knock the ball away.

College DBs don't jump 8 feet in the air and deflect the Football like Dikembe Mutombo and yet this has been EAs way of playing pass defense for as long as I can remember.
He really is only about a foot off the ground (if that), the angle just makes it look higher...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #42
MVP

sdid22's Arena

OVR: 18

Can a commish for a OD totally turn the option off prior to starting a dynasty? I'm also worried about the abusing of defensive assist.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Does anyone know if player lock will be available in an offline co-op game? Obviously, the camera change wouldn't be possible; however, can one player lock when playing defense against another human player? Or better yet, can two guys playing on the same team both use player lock?

A friend and I played an entire season on the same team in NCAA 06. Both of us controlled a cornerback and we competed for the best stats (most INT's, breakups, and TDs) throughout the year. It was a lot of fun.
Yes two players can lock on off-line co-op... however you will not get the camera changes as you guessed.

Imagine the craziness it would cause, fighting over that view.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Nice additions....BUUUUUUUTTTT....

College DBs don't jump 8 feet in the air and deflect the Football like Dikembe Mutombo and yet this has been EAs way of playing pass defense for as long as I can remember.
AA,

The way i look at it, it's not the way the animation plays out that ruins that part of the gameplay, but the physics, or the lack of physics that the flight of the ball, and the jump of the players show.

Most of the balls that get swatted like that in real life are horrible underthrows that the DB has time to measure up and wap away....and the reciever has to try to slow down and get to the ball, but his defender is able to get their first.

BUT THE DIFFERENCE IS...

In real life, Quarterbacks can also OVERTHROW their recievers...or lead them and prevent that situation.

So, i guess what i mean to say is there are WAY too many under throws that make that animation show up on almost every deep ball.

So they either need to extend the throw more relative to the reciever...or make the ball obey the laws of gravity and not just float all over the field.

I think EA Misunderstands what a "Lob" pass really is....you aren't actually just throwing it up for grabs 233 feet in the air...it's a solid throw with a trajectory that gives YOUR receiver the best opportunity to catch it at it's highest point....yet time the ballflight in a real-life highlight of a fade pass...Then compare that with some RC'ing in Ncaa...there's no comparison
Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdid22
Can a commish for a OD totally turn the option off prior to starting a dynasty? I'm also worried about the abusing of defensive assist.
I left this question off the blog, but do not worry... the player under defensive assist will play according to the attributes of the player, he does not enter into some super human mode where they make every play. This is simply an assist, not a cheat... in fact if you were to hold this down an entire play it would be worse off, they will not go for picks at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #46
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_Kiniry_EA
I think it is better that I am not forced into a menu every single time I want to turn Player Lock on/off, also I can change my mind and be a DE one play and a CB the next... agian without going to a menu.
I can do that right now in NCAA 09 though. I press the Player Select button until Pre-Snap and then don't press it again once the play starts. Some of us actually created this as a house rule to imitate Player Lock in our dynasties.

With the method you're describing, I'm actually pressing more buttons per play (one every play instead of one each defensive possession) and the only added benefit is a camera angle change.

Neither of these are the same as the Player Lock that has been in every sports game to date. Thanks for answering the questions though.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #47
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis a.d.
actually, that is the main purpose of campus legend mode.
ACTUALLY, the purpose of Campus Legend mode is to take one player through a college football career. That has nothing to do with the use of Player Lock in Play Now or Dynasty mode. There are obvious differences.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_Kiniry_EA
In the past versions of NCAA you've always stayed on the same player for defense in between plays (and it will be that way again), all it takes is a simple press of the Left Analog Stick to activate the mode again.

While I think you've made your point you do not like that way of doing it, personally I think it is better that I am not forced into a menu every single time I want to turn Player Lock on/off, also I can change my mind and be a DE one play and a CB the next... agian without going to a menu.

So while I don't think you are wrong, it is a valid opinion this was our choice to go with this method for Player Lock.
I like that it will be easy to switch this on and off during a game. Anyway you could show a bid of this feature so we can see exactly how it works?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »