Home

OMT: two small bugs

This is a discussion on OMT: two small bugs within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: OMT: two small bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
they still had to run a play though. they took a knee instead of kicking a XP. in college football, if the defense blocks a XP and recovers it and runs it back, it's 2 points. so if that happened in that game, it would have been 33-33 and OT would happen. therefore, they had to run a play.
I did find an article that stated BYU had to take a knee but perhaps the rule has changed since 2006? Here is a rule interpretation from 2008 where NCAA official Victor Winnek's gives an answer referring to NCAA Rule 8-3-2-a:

"If on the last play the scoring team goes up by 1 point there would be no need to have a PAT/Try since the winner was determined on the scoring play when time expired"

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Football-...down-Point.htm

Last edited by AbsoluteFury; 04-09-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #18
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtrev
AbsoluteFury is right. If you score a TD on the last play of the game to take the lead, the game ends. Period. Anyone who has watched even a small amount of college football (or just football for that matter) knows this. Past NCAAs had this fixed so NCAA 10 should as well. It can't be too hard since they get it right in OT (yes, the game ends immediately after scoring a game winning TD in OT without making you kick the extra point).

OMT, can we expect to see this corrected?
Its not that simple actually. In the NFL, every team is required to kick the meaningless extra point at the end of a game no matter what the score. Total points are used in playoff tie breaking scenarios so its different.

The NCAA has changed the rules in the past but they don't require the kick to be made as of this moment. So the rules are different based on the level of football being played.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #19
Rookie

nstod's Arena

OVR: 6

I still don't get why they wouldn't need to run a play if only up by 1 or 2. Even if they kneel the ball, there's still a chance of a fumbled snap, etc.

It's like ending a game with 1:30 left, because the other team doesn't have any timeouts, and "all they need to do is kneel the ball".
Old 04-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #20
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Ummm...yep. Thanks for proving my point! They won 33-31 because they didn have to kick the XP! The video that you posted even confirms this.
Wrong.

00:00 BYU - HARLINE 11 yd pass from BECK (TEAM rush failed), 10-75 1:19

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=8481

As for the Utah fan, ouch man, I would go berserk if my team only rushed 2 players in a situation like that!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

Did you guys not read the official statement from 2008 that was posted above? The rule is that if a TD is scored on the last play of the game and the team is up by 1 point, no XP kick is necessary since the winning score was determined with 0:00 left on the clock.

Again, they had this correct in previous installments of NCAA. I remember in as recent as NCAA 08 that if you scored a TD to take the lead with 0:00 on the clock, the game ended. Bring that back EA!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Did you guys not read the official statement from 2008 that was posted above? The rule is that if a TD is scored on the last play of the game and the team is up by 1 point, no XP kick is necessary since the winning score was determined with 0:00 left on the clock.

Again, they had this correct in previous installments of NCAA. I remember in as recent as NCAA 08 that if you scored a TD to take the lead with 0:00 on the clock, the game ended. Bring that back EA!
Firstly, what I was disagreeing with you was your interpretation of the 2006 game. You were trying to tell a person that was AT the game that he didn't see what he thought he saw, based on an incomplete youtube video, and that there was no try after the kick in that game. Even though a quick internet search for the game's box score proves you wrong. Ridiculous.

Secondly, although the source in the link is an NCAA official (named Victor Winnek), he could be wrong. Note that the quote in the post was not the rule but rather the source's interpretation of the rule. The actual rule cited in the link reads:
"The ball shall be put in play by the team that scored a six-point touchdown. If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time in the fourth period expires, the try shall not be attempted unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game."
Since the defense can score, it's not clear in this case, and Mr. Winnek's interpretation seemingly could wrong.

Thirdly, although Mr. Winnek's comments were posted in 2008, there is no indication in the link that this rule was put into place in 2008 or any other time after 2006. So it could very well be that the same rule applies now as it did in 2006, when you did have to attempt the PAT after a last-second TD to go up by 2 (or 1). (As evidenced by the BYU/Utah game.)

It sounds to me like it's possible that the rule has changed, but not certain.

Last edited by TrevJo; 04-09-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #23
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

I don't know about the rule, but I've seen both happen. I was at the cursed hail mary game (Colorado vs. Michigan) and the game ended even though Colorado won by a point (no xtra point was attempted). More recently however, I have seen teams score game winning touchdowns up by = or < 2 and have to attempt an extra point. It obviously depends on the rule currently. Either way, it's really no big deal to me however EA interprets this rule. If you have to attempt the point after, take a knee.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

The Utah/BYU issue aside, the real issue I was pointing out was that NCAA 09 forces you to kick the XP if you score a TD with 0:00 left on the clock and go up by at least three. I think we can all agree that this contrary to the rule and silly. If you score a TD with 0:00 left on the clock and are ahead by three, you don't have to kick the XP!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »