Home

Presentation...how important is it to you?

This is a discussion on Presentation...how important is it to you? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Presentation...how important is it to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hitter
Could care less about presentation. Until the Gameplay (this includes a wide variety of things) is fixed presentation means nothing.

Plus, for me anyway, after about half way through the first dynasty I skip all the presentation crap. I hate the in-game cuts to the sidelines, cheerleaders, and replays. I just want to play the game and all that stuff becomes annoying because it becomes all CPU generated repetitive garbage.
I agree but presentation is not just about cut scenes like EA seems to think it is. Read my post above and I think you'll realize how much presentation to add to a game.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 04-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Could care less about presentation. Until the Gameplay (this includes a wide variety of things) is fixed presentation means nothing.

Plus, for me anyway, after about half way through the first dynasty I skip all the presentation crap. I hate the in-game cuts to the sidelines, cheerleaders, and replays. I just want to play the game and all that stuff becomes annoying because it becomes all CPU generated repetitive garbage.
Wow....
Old 04-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #35
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I agree but presentation is not just about cut scenes like EA seems to think it is. Read my post above and I think you'll realize how much presentation to add to a game.
First Madden game ever and had one of the coolest presentations ever and it wasn't a cut scene. A player got hurt and the ambulance came onto the field. I never got sick of that.

For me I still have the same stance as I do on the dreads. While these things are great and would add to the game, I am all about game play. If the game doesn't play right then presentation, dreads, sock colors, cheerleaders, etc. etc. mean nothing.

I will say something else. How can a 16 bit Sega Genesis Football Game be more fun than a NG Football game. Does that make any sense to you?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 9

For presentation, all EA has to do is look at NFL 2K5. Just copy and paste. Instant win .
Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
First Madden game ever and had one of the coolest presentations ever and it wasn't a cut scene. A player got hurt and the ambulance came onto the field. I never got sick of that.

For me I still have the same stance as I do on the dreads. While these things are great and would add to the game, I am all about game play. If the game doesn't play right then presentation, dreads, sock colors, cheerleaders, etc. etc. mean nothing.

I will say something else. How can a 16 bit Sega Genesis Football Game be more fun than a NG Football game. Does that make any sense to you?
Well you kind of contradict yourself right there don't you? On one hand you say it should be all about game play but then on the other you remember how cool the ambulance was. I agree with you that the gameplay needs to be solid BUT I think that either way, adding extras into the game can help make a tolerable game much better and more fun to play.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 04-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #38
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

On a scale of 1-10 I'd say presentation rates a 5 for importance.

I'm much more concerned with quality gameplay, dynasty features (recruiting, online, etc), performance, lack of glitches, general accuracy (i.e. correct rosters and schedules), and a number of other things.

I'd go even lower than 5, but the presentation is probably a subtle value add than I don't really give it credit for. I just don't really pay attention to it beyond the first few times I pop in the disc. So in going with a 5, I'm giving presentation importance the benefit of the doubt somewhat.

Last edited by TrevJo; 04-10-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
No, because you don't have to skip them, they continue on while you play. Just like in real football if a coach throws a clipboard on a busted play do the players on the field quit doing anything and just stare at the scene or do they just keep doing their thing?

You're misunderstanding my entire point. There would be nothing to skip. If for example you score and the team begins celebrating, it could show it on the screen and it continues even after you go back to the playcall screen as the players run off the field. If for example a kicker misses a kick and does the "dangit" thing with his arm then you just see it as you go back to the playcall screen.

All of these things I speak of should just happen naturally in the game and not be "highlighted" in a cut scene. They should also all be contextual. In other words when a player scores and celebrates with his teammates it's not always the TE, the LT and the QB who runs to celebrate with him, it's the 2 guys who are around him at the time..or maybe the 5 guys who around him at the time. Maybe one time they highfive and laugh, maybe another time they jump on one anothers back, maybe another time they chest bump, it should be natural and contextual just like in a real life game.

First of all, again i'm not talking about a special camera, maybe the camera just scrolls out a little wider so you can see the coach, or ignore him if you choose, as the camera goes back to the play call screen. There is no reason to press anything to skip it because it's just like any other play of the game, only with something interesting happening in the context of it. Not a cut scene, an organic part of the game.

I definitely do not want special camera angles for things like this, that would defeat the purpose of having this stuff in the game. Things like this should happen regardless of whether the camera even is there for you to see it. In other words if a player comes up with a big sack and the opposing coach throws his headset then you may or may not see it depending upon where you are at on the field. Just like in real life you miss things that are interesting if you are not watching tv. But eventually you will see all of these cool things and it's things like this that will make you really excited about how organic and ALIVE the game feels.

MLB The Show is a great example of what I mean. I'm sure you've hit a foul ball and saw the beach ball being hit around. There is no special camera angle where they go to the beach ball scene. It just happens in the game. Sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't. But it's happening here and there. The very fact that they don't have some stupid cut scene and have the announcers talk about it ad nauseam is what makes it so special, because it's just happening naturally like it would in a real game.

We don't want the game to be broadcast TV type, we want the game to feel organic, or at least I do. Cut scenes don't work and people just skip them. They are cool for the first few times. Yes what you speak of above are cut scenes in a real game but they work because you cannot skip them. What makes a real life game interesting is all the little things that make the game alive, that is what needs integrated into the game to make it interesting, not cut scenes.

Again, I disagree, cut scenes are the past. Look at NBA2K9. Players help each other up. They show emotion. People on the sideline get excited when you score threes. The game feels more like the real thing. If they showed a canned cut scene that was always the same, always from the same angle, always showing your PG and your PF helping each other up the same way, then the illusion of seamless reality is shattered.

Death to cut scenes. Bring on organic presentation.
I totally agree with you on this one. If you really look at it, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement, because its already there. They just need to have the players actually aware of each other. Right now, they already do their celebrations and this, that, and the third but its all isolated, like the players aren't really aware of each other, ya know.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #40
Rookie

parrish pinkney's Arena

OVR: 5

i liked the presentation on ps2

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »