Home

Wide Open Gameplay your friend!

This is a discussion on Wide Open Gameplay your friend! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Wide Open Gameplay your friend!

I always thought the cpu made easy 3rd and long but you're right about the deep ball. It's non-existent. Wide open gameplay isn't a bad thing if done correctly but when the Defense is programmed to be brain-dead, then it screws everything up. It's all tied in together...basically the programmers, devs, whomever, screwed up everything to get the wide open gameplay.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

Personally I love the WOPG, it's just the balance of defense to offense that screws it up. I agree with the OP...the defense on this game, without decent sliders, is like a six week old rottweiler. It's neutered and has little bark or bite. If the defensive AI, OL/DL interaction, and other animations get fixed, this game is is the best ever. NCAA 09 has been the most fun for me, including 2004.

Last edited by acts238shaun; 04-18-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Guys,

What the heck do you think Wide Open Gameplay is?

You keep saying "it's not a bad thing"...but give me one POSITIVE about how EA implemented Wide Open Gameplay last year.

You guys are basically saying "You know, having a neutered defense was fun and exciting and I really didn't have any problem with it".

That is what you guys are saying.

If you'd like, I'll offer you the same Challenge I offered folks last year. Pick any powerhouse school, challenge me, and I'll pick Troy or some lower rated team.

I will either 1. Beat you or 2. Stay really really close to you.

Why? Because LSU or USC's Defense would get shredded by Bowling Green if I just went 4 or 5 WR and ran hitches, comebacks, and slants all day long on you.

If you attempted to bring a "blitz"...I'd still get the pass off because of how badly the blitzes have been neutered. I'll have at least 4-5 seconds to find a receiver every single play....Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long in reality for any defense to have hope of stopping an offense.

Again...I know the EA guys are working on this for NCAA 10..or I hope they are...because I'm pointing out just how laughable the 09 gameplay was.

Solidice, Stewaat, BluenGold, kodiak, and I would literally have just about every head to head game come down to who turned the ball over or had to punt once...because we usually scored on every single possession.

That's not cool. In any way, shape, or form.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
I always thought the cpu made easy 3rd and long but you're right about the deep ball. It's non-existent. Wide open gameplay isn't a bad thing if done correctly but when the Defense is programmed to be brain-dead, then it screws everything up. It's all tied in together...basically the programmers, devs, whomever, screwed up everything to get the wide open gameplay.
Deep ball is only non-existent if you have players with low SPC rating. Anyone with above 90 will Moss defenders all day.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Played Utah State at UCF (All American, default sliders) last night on the latest NCAA 10 build.

Pick 6 with a minute to go to win 19-7.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Banned

EAreaper26's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Played Utah State at UCF (All American, default sliders) last night on the latest NCAA 10 build.

Pick 6 with a minute to go to win 19-7.
i've never seen a score that low in ncaa 09; they must have corrected the wiiiiiiide open gameplay in ncaa 10.

it's all good unless it was one of those miraculous run backs where the defense bobs a weaves from sideline to sideline for the game winning score...

Last edited by EAreaper26; 04-18-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAreaper26
i've never seen a score that low in ncaa 09; they must have corrected the wiiiiiiide open gameplay in ncaa 10.

it's all good unless it was one of those miraculous run backs where the defense bobs a weaves from sideline to sideline for the game winning score...
The game winning pick 6 had the CPU backed up on their 10 and an easy waltz into the endzone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

The only thing wide open about college football is the offensive playbooks (spread/option/flex/wishbone).

To say that college football is this wide open scorefest is absurd. The bottom line is that the average college WR will beat the 4th/5th best coverage man on an average team. Teams who consistently put 4-5 WR's or 3WR/2HB on the field to exploit mismatches are the ones who put up the most points.

The only difference between the NFL and NCAA games should be the quality of depth on the defensive side of the ball and play variety.

To be honest, the only thing wide open about NCAA 09 was the lack of pursuit angles and ridiculous speed curve. Neither is realistic and both need to be fixed.

Don't give credit where it isn't due. "Wide open gameplay" is like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »