Home

Pick one Gamekiller

This is a discussion on Pick one Gamekiller within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which of these are Game Killers for NCAA '10?
Bad CPU QB AI (too many INTs, not throwing deep) 45 32.61%
Bad OL/DL Interaction 38 27.54%
Bad Defensive AI 54 39.13%
Ineffective Sliders 30 21.74%
Bad CPU Play Calling (ie run QB Option with slow QB, etc) 43 31.16%
No FCS 15 10.87%
Bad Presentation 27 19.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 16
Re: Pick one Gamekiller

To me its "no FCS" but my favorite school is the Michigan Wolverines, so its not really a "gamekiller"

NCAAB: Cincinnati Bearcats
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: New York Knicks

"Those Who Stay Will Be CHAMPIONS"-Bo Schembechler-R.I.P.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 39

no refs, chain gangs, correct/updated equipment.. but thats just what im into. i guess that can go under presentation
Old 04-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 12

I hate the way the quarterbacks throw N fast QBs need to run fast, they have this weird looking slow trot (annoying)....and the pass rush was terrible in 09
Old 04-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #20
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

The interception issue and the poor line play are both huge to me. However, if I had to pick one, it would be the stupid, numerous ints thrown by the CPU.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #21
It's about that time

greenegt's Arena

Everything related to gameplay is a potential gamekiller for me. I really hope there are no glaring issues, like last year.

PSN: OGMeanGreene

Twitter: @greenegt
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 7

I honestly don't see most of these as gamekillers for me. They are issues that could be improved but are not enough to keep me from playing it.

THE gamekiller to me is the OL/DL interaction.

1) Blocking schemes - lack thereof. This game reinforces the layman's belief that offensive linemen are blobs that lean straight ahead.

The option game is particularly ugly in this regard. There is no triple option in any NCAA game. Why can't my playside tackle do what every playside tackle does in a triple option scheme - leave the end man on the line of scrimmage (EMOL) unblocked and veer inside to wall off an alley for the fullback/B-Back?

---------S---------------S---------
------------------------------------
CB------LB----MLB-----LB--------CB
---------E--T----T----E----------
X--------LT-LG-C-RG-RT---------Z
--------A-------Q------A---------
----------------B-----------------

So if we were running triple option right, the RT would go to the MLB, the RG would block down on the T, the C would help out on the RG man or combo to the MLB, and the backside would scoop. Oh, and the playside A would arc to block the playside safety.

The playside LB and the playside E would both be UNBLOCKED.

If the E shoots straight upfield to prevent the QB from taking it outside, the QB would give it to the B-Back. That back, aiming outside the RG, would have an alley to run through because the MLB is walled off from the play.

If the E goes to the B-Back, the QB pulls it and reads the next unblocked man - the playside LB. If that defender widens out to stop the pitch, the QB tucks it and runs upfield. If the playside LB comes in to stop the QB, the QB pitches it to the A-Back.

That's a very basic version from a specific formation, but it's easy to imagine how that works from different formations. The blocking rules can be relatively simple to make it work.

Steebu gives a good explanation in another thread and provides video evidence.

2) Lack of real pass rush.

Defensive tackles sometimes make sacks, or at least provide pressure.

Defensive ends often are able to contain much faster quarterbacks by taking good angles.

The dynamics of "the pocket" are much more interesting IRL. People are rarely blocked or unblocked for an entire play - sometimes a tackle will initially get beat outside but recover in time to keep an end from collapsing the pocket, only to have the QB prematurely roll to his side and that same end make a sack as a result.

I like the NCAA games - they're sprawling, have a lot of detail and accuracy, and are visually stunning in a lot of cases. But they often appeared tailored to those who just don't care about what really goes on strategically in the trenches.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 7

running animations and crappy playbooks..............really make it less fun for me.........that and also not having the ability to wear cool stuff on your guy
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #24
Glory to the Brave!

Guffers's Arena

If the ball doesn't spin on pass plays then that would be a game killer.

Well not really, but if thats the case then that would just be hilariously tragic. Seriously every single one of those points is a major issue and unless every one of them is addressed properly then I will steer clear of this game because I know that after a month I will be fed up with it.

I'm really hoping for the game to shock all of us with its quality this year but I just can't see it happening purely on EA Football's next gen track record. Lucky I bought a dirt cheap copy of NCAA 06 this year to scratch my itch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »