Home

Do we take the word "sim" too far?

This is a discussion on Do we take the word "sim" too far? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do we as OSers take the definition of "sim" too far?
Much too far 11 22.45%
A bit too far 25 51.02%
No we don't 13 26.53%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17
Do we take the word "sim" too far?

I'm a sim guy like most of you all, however, I sometimes think we take that definition too far. I'm sitting here watching a replay of the USC vs. PSU Rose Bowl, and have witnessed many things most of us would deem "cheese" in just watching about 10 minutes of this game. First of all, I've seen about three QB sneaks from Sanchez on 3rd and short situations nowhere near the goal line. I saw another sneak that Sanchez ran while they were up 31-7 in the 3rd quarter on 4th and 1 just inside PSU territory. I for one would be irate if I had someone run this on me given the situation.

Additionally, I would have to say a majority of throws made by both QBs that I've seen have been on the run. Lastly, I've seen a ton of screens in the little I've watched of the game. I know when people run too many slip screens or wr screens in NCAA 09 people tend to get heated...

So what do you guys think? Do we take "SIM" too far?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Banned

MtneerManiac's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Do we take the word "sim" too far?

No.

Look at NFL 2K5. How can a game almost 5 years old have better gameplay than current games? It shouldn't. Pure lazyness and bad decisions on EA's part for using a garbage engine and putting even less work in making the play even better. (Up until this year, hopefully )
Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 39

The difference is in order to do those things in NCAA it appears to be exploiting the system because it has been set up poorly in the first place. Now if the engine ran correctly, and animations were more life like I'd be fine with those types of plays. This is what I'm expecting M10 to solve..

You can't truly have a realistic football experience if the game isn't set up to play like realistic football..
Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtneerManiac
No.

Look at NFL 2K5. How can a game almost 5 years old have better gameplay than current games? It shouldn't. Pure lazyness and bad decisions on EA's part for using a garbage engine and putting even less work in making the play even better. (Up until this year, hopefully )
Dont even start the 2K5 s*** talk...

I think Peench brought up a good point.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
The difference is in order to do those things in NCAA it appears to be exploiting the system because it has been set up poorly in the first place. Now if the engine ran correctly, and animations were more life like I'd be fine with those types of plays. This is what I'm expecting M10 to solve..

You can't truly have a realistic football experience if the game isn't set up to play like realistic football..
Well said.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Rookie

floridagatorfan's Arena

OVR: 5

I get so annoyed when people overuse the term sim and cheese. I do not like players that go for it constantly on 4th down and chuck it deep everytime but as long as the game is designed so that I have a counter for these plays I can get over it. Problem is the past years in NCAA there hasnt necessarily been counters.

However, if someone is constantly using exploits that were not designed for use this is what I deem as cheese and a lot of the time, not necessarily here, people use the term cheese when someone is doing something stupid like chucking it deep everytime and getting lucky.

I prefer to play somewhat sim as if I am running the ball constantly and cannot be stopped, I will not throw in pass plays too to try and keep it sim, just like a coach wouldn't stop running it if the other team didnt show that they could stop it.

Last edited by floridagatorfan; 04-22-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9

I would call myself a "Sim" or "Straight" player also

3rd and short you should keep it simple and probably run the ball or QB sneak if its just a yard if you're coaching an actual game. I'm completely ok with both of those things if it's say 3rd and 2 or less. I see how people can get mad about it because a QB sneak is hard, almost impossible, to stuff.

Throwing on the run is just fine with me too, as long as you don't throw across the body to the complete otherside of the field. My general rule of thumb is you run past a hash the ball should be thrown to a reciever on the same side of said hash unless you set your feet.

As for going for it on 4th in 1 up 24 points in the 4th, while in opposing territory is unsportsman like. You don't try and run up the score unless you're a snake like Spurrier or Meyer or even like Stoops last year.

You run what works whether it's screens or whatever but, typically it's out there to run the same play more than 2 or 3 times in a single drive. That means to me you can run different screens on me all you want as long as you mix them up. WR screens, HB screens, Middle screens. Besides if you pay attention on defense screens aren't terribly hard to read or bust up.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

I remember when Tim Couch 1st came into the league and they interviewed him. He said they only ran 9-12 plays the entire season!

My problem isnt with anybody that exploit the system its with the system being able to be exploited! There is no way a CB should be able to play DE no way. Rating didnt mean **** on NCAA that is the devs. problem. You cant tell me they didnt notices that 75% or more of the ratings they had meant nothing my point is why were they there if they did nothing? And my question is what the hell are they doing if you game is that incomplete? Imagine buying a brandnew car with a cd player that doesnt really work ,seltbelts that dont work, seats with no cushion , windshield wipers that dont work. and rear and side view mirrors with the mirrors missing? At some point you gotta ask why are they on the damn car in the 1st place if they never worked to begin with!

Yet they had time for cheerleaders ,stupid endzones dances(which should be a penalty) ,and mascout games.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 04-22-2009 at 05:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »