Home

Kill the sprint button!

This is a discussion on Kill the sprint button! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Kill the sprint button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
I've heard this suggestion before, but I don't see any merit to it. That sounds like you want NBA Jam turbo instead of realistic control over normal running vs running at top speed.
Ok so your against a button that gives you a small burst of acceleration ,but for a sprint button that gives you an unreal boost of speed the entire play?

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
OK but it not realistic! If you press the analog stick all the way its the same as working hard to get to the corner just in a way more realistic way. You cant go from zero to a full sprint like you can when you press the sprint button.
It could go either way as far as I'm concerned, but I like the fact that you can consciously put out the extra effort to do the sprinting at a cost to your energy. If you made it so that pushing the stick = fully sprinting, most people would be screwed because you pretty much always hold the stick down all the way. And then there's those guys who are stuck in the 80s and still play with the D-pad.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Acceleration is currently extreme with the sprint button. They should tone that down. But the concept of the sprint button is good, they should not throw it away.

Replacing it with analog stick control is a bad idea for two reasons: 1. It wouldn't work for d-pad users. 2. The stick is too clunky to be relied on for fine control of speed. It should be used for direction only.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #20
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
Acceleration is currently extreme with the sprint button. They should tone that down. But the concept of the sprint button is good, they should not throw it away.

Replacing it with analog stick control is a bad idea for two reasons: 1. It wouldn't work for d-pad users. 2. The stick is too clunky to be relied on for fine control of speed. It should be used for direction only.
OK so how do you suppose they handle the sprint button as it relates to making cuts ,moves or changing direction? How difficult will it be to have to release the sprint button to set up a move? In football sprinting only happens if a player has space. If a running back just sprint from the time he got the hand-off he would run into the back of his o-line every play. Football players rarely get to sprint so little a button for it is just obsolete.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 04-22-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
OK so how do you suppose they handle the sprint button as it relates to making cuts ,moves or changing direction? How difficult will it be to have to release the sprint button to set up a move? In football sprinting only happens if a player has space. If a running back just sprint from the time he got the hand-off he would run into the back of his online every play. Football players rarely get to sprint so little a button for it is just obsolete.
I'd say that
A) the difference between the sprint button and running top speed without it shouldn't be a huge difference.
B) trying to make moves while holding a sprint button could result in a player tripping over his own feet or stumbling.
C) sprinting could cause more fumbles if you are pushing the sprint button while getting tackled (notice how much looser a player holds the ball in real life while he's sprinting on a break away, and how many times that guy gets the ball punched out by a guy who actually catches him from behind)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #22
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

Whatever they do, I hope they get rid of the code where the entire D-Line breaks the block and all linebackers not engaged come en masse towards you when you hit the trigger. This drives me nuts! Not just because when you hit the trigger, the LB's can magically see out of the back of their head, do a 180 or 270 and come meet you in the hole, but also because of the ghost blocking. That's when an engaged O-Lineman magically runs through the man he is blocking and the defender runs into the backfield towards the person with the ball. The defender doesn't swim, rip, spin, club, anything...no animation at all. It's like he just started running suddenly and the lineman never was there. I will posts pics later, because that got old quick. I am one I never hit the trigger until I hit the hole anyway, but it's rather cheesy to have the defensive pursuit based on when I hit turbo.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #23
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderRatedCoast
I'd say that
A) the difference between the sprint button and running top speed without it shouldn't be a huge difference.
B) trying to make moves while holding a sprint button could result in a player tripping over his own feet or stumbling.
C) sprinting could cause more fumbles if you are pushing the sprint button while getting tackled (notice how much looser a player holds the ball in real life while he's sprinting on a break away, and how many times that guy gets the ball punched out by a guy who actually catches him from behind)
All good ideas in my book ,but Im sure you'll hear plenty people complain cause there so addicted to just holding down the sprint button. I think changing it up completely is easier to handle. Just quit the sprint button cold turkey! LOL

Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
All good ideas in my book ,but Im sure you'll hear plenty people complain cause there so addicted to just holding down the sprint button. I think changing it up completely is easier to handle. Just quit the sprint button cold turkey! LOL
I just think it's funny that a bunch of dudes on a message board can come up with so many improvement ideas in a few short minutes that can easily be implemented into a game, but changes rarely happen. Wish I could view the inner workings of the video game industry for about a year so I could see why these things never happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »