Home

Squib kicks?

This is a discussion on Squib kicks? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #25
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Squib kicks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
The funny thing is in ncaa 09 near the end of the 1st half my games when i am leading. The announcers would say it is time for sqiub kick to end the half. But yet the squib kick was not even in the qame. LOL bad part on the EA dev last on the announcers.
Do they actually say that? That is funny. I remember usually hearing something to the effect of, "They'll probably keep this one away from the kick returner..."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #26
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
EA has already stated when it was removed years ago that it was removed because it could be abused. I said earlier they didn't want it in there for online especially because you could manipulate it too easily to work like an onside kick and get the ball back with a greater chance than what is realistic.

Apparently it is something that is harder to program than we all realize and it just cannot find its way back into the game. It sucks yes, and it should be in, but it is not like they just are laughing at us and saying "screw you guys".

Hopefully if we keep asking, polite enough, they will realize it is a priority to the fans of the series and they can dedicate some time and power to get it back in and working properly.
Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
If it's something that can be abused, why not make it situational?
I like this idea. The only concern would be if it's absuable enough, even if used in a normal squib situation it might be taken advantage of as an onside kick. Let's say you restrict it to the last 20 seconds of either half, and in the 2nd half you can only use it if you're leading. Still, in the 1st half you could squib/onside it and get the ball back and tack on a few more points. But, it still might be worth adding in there.

FWIW, if I really don't want to give up a return late in the half, I just kick it high and over to the side, and if I get the power right, it'll go to one of the upbacks instead of the returners. It's not realistic technique, but it has basically the same result as a squib kick.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
Good post.

I like this idea. The only concern would be if it's absuable enough, even if used in a normal squib situation it might be taken advantage of as an onside kick. Let's say you restrict it to the last 20 seconds of either half, and in the 2nd half you can only use it if you're leading. Still, in the 1st half you could squib/onside it and get the ball back and tack on a few more points. But, it still might be worth adding in there.

FWIW, if I really don't want to give up a return late in the half, I just kick it high and over to the side, and if I get the power right, it'll go to one of the upbacks instead of the returners. It's not realistic technique, but it has basically the same result as a squib kick.

This is stupid reasoning. Onside kicks and going for it on fourth downs can be abused. But do you see EA racing to take those out of the game?
Old 05-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 3

BESIDES! Some teams IRL do squib kick to SNEAKILY recover the ball when they don't need to (cf. LSU-Auburn 2008, Georgia-Florida 2008). It's not an automatic so it is a risk. But they shouldn't limit us to ONLY being able to squib/onside when it is the appropriate situation for it because teams don't always do that IRL. Silly.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #29
Rookie

the onizzle's Arena

OVR: 4

Very much a part of college football, yet still not a part of this all inclusive game. At the least EA could give us a precanned animation so that after you select squib kick all you do is hit a button and it procedes to squib the same way every time. That's lame, but at least it would be in the game.

I have tried kicking high and/or to the side to keep it away from guys and it never functions right. Usually they end up on about the 50 yd line (or worse, return it for TD due to suction blocking) and it burns all of 2 seconds. The point of a squib kick is to run clock.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #30
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by the onizzle
Very much a part of college football, yet still not a part of this all inclusive game. At the least EA could give us a precanned animation so that after you select squib kick all you do is hit a button and it procedes to squib the same way every time. That's lame, but at least it would be in the game.
Wow, you really want squib kicks in the game bad to settle for that kind of lameness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the onizzle
I have tried kicking high and/or to the side to keep it away from guys and it never functions right. Usually they end up on about the 50 yd line (or worse, return it for TD due to suction blocking) and it burns all of 2 seconds. The point of a squib kick is to run clock.
I don't know what to tell you. When I do it, it eats up 4-5 seconds. They usually get to maybe the 45 yard line (but who cares because the half is ending), and I have never given up a TD doing this.

Last edited by TrevJo; 05-01-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #31
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

Icon12 Re: Squib kicks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtrev
This is stupid reasoning. Onside kicks and going for it on fourth downs can be abused. But do you see EA racing to take those out of the game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtrev
BESIDES! Some teams IRL do squib kick to SNEAKILY recover the ball when they don't need to (cf. LSU-Auburn 2008, Georgia-Florida 2008). It's not an automatic so it is a risk. But they shouldn't limit us to ONLY being able to squib/onside when it is the appropriate situation for it because teams don't always do that IRL. Silly.
Squib kicks are not as critical to the game as onside kicks, or 4th down conversion attempts. As far as teams trying to recover sneak squibs, in case you didn't notice, the game already does not let you do surprise onside kicks. You can only onside kick from the onside formation. Just thought I would point that out so you can complain about that too.

Last edited by TrevJo; 05-01-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #32
Rookie

the onizzle's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
Wow, you really want squib kicks in the game bad to settle for that kind of lameness!
Is that settling? Absolutely. But what if other elements of special teams were just left out. What if there was no fake field goal, or fake punt?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »