Home

More Legal Trouble for EA (NCAA related)

This is a discussion on More Legal Trouble for EA (NCAA related) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 29
Re: More Legal Trouble for EA (NCAA related)

country boy while i don't disagree with your point. the fact is that is the basis for the lawsuit because EA has an agreement with the NFLPA to use players likeness so obviously Keller wouldn't have a problem with because he would fall under that umbrella
Old 05-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #34
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

one more thing...how come he didn't have any issues with this at the time of the incident?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #35
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
country boy while i don't disagree with your point. the fact is that is the basis for the lawsuit because EA has an agreement with the NFLPA to use players likeness so obviously Keller wouldn't have a problem with because he would fall under that umbrella
I was making reference to him being a "fictious" rookie or something along those lines. I understand the NFLPA agreement and such.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #36
Pro

Bwnarrow3's Arena

OVR: 10

I agree. People in this country will do anything for money.

EA is safe.

Check out my NBA blog here: www.thetransitionthree.blogspot.com

I'm an avid NBA fan and I'd love some feedback on my articles. I write about all teams too, so check out your favorite team!

Twitter: @bowen_connor and @transition3blog
Old 05-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I was making reference to him being a "fictious" rookie or something along those lines. I understand the NFLPA agreement and such.
oh i see
Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #38
Rookie

idesign2's Arena

OVR: 7

I've wondered for years how EA is able to use the likenesses of college athletes without compensation. I always thought using fictitious names but keeping all other details accurate was a little dubious. Having said that, I've enjoyed playing with historic rosters on previous versions of Madden and think we should be able to continue doing this in the future (as well as NCAA rosters).

This case will be interesting to follow, especially considering there is a similar case in the works over Madden historic rosters. One question I have is whether EA will be penalized for creating such realistic NCAA rosters. I mean, when we look at EA's NCAA rosters we know each player corresponds to a real college athlete. Will EA be penalized for not COMPLETELY randomizing their rosters? Probably not, but I don't think it's a slam dunk they won't.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #39
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by idesign2
...Will EA be penalized for not COMPLETELY randomizing their rosters...
This will be the core of the case, and it's a strong case too. Don't be surprised if EA is forced to change things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
one more thing...how come he didn't have any issues with this at the time of the incident?
He very well might have, but actually trying to file a suit while you're playing a sport at a BCS conference school would be rather difficult. There's not only the matter of time, but you also have to realize it probably wouldn't sit too well with administrators, who pretty much use athletes to raise revenue for their schools.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by idesign2
I've wondered for years how EA is able to use the likenesses of college athletes without compensation. I always thought using fictitious names but keeping all other details accurate was a little dubious. Having said that, I've enjoyed playing with historic rosters on previous versions of Madden and think we should be able to continue doing this in the future (as well as NCAA rosters).

This case will be interesting to follow, especially considering there is a similar case in the works over Madden historic rosters. One question I have is whether EA will be penalized for creating such realistic NCAA rosters. I mean, when we look at EA's NCAA rosters we know each player corresponds to a real college athlete. Will EA be penalized for not COMPLETELY randomizing their rosters? Probably not, but I don't think it's a slam dunk they won't.
Good post...I agree with everything you say.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »