Home

Adaptive AI?

This is a discussion on Adaptive AI? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Adaptive AI?

From the hype machine I've been following for the next NCAA Football, I can definitely say I'm unequivocally stoked for the release, but I keep hearing references to "Adaptive AI". I can't remember where exactly I saw this being discussed but it basically sounded like this:

When you choose a bunch of runs up the middle, the defense will "adapt" and start crowding the line in anticipation to stop the run. This will allow the play action to be more effective in this situation.

Are you kidding me?!? You've been developing this game for decades and you never thought to include this feature? What was the AI before, random number generators? This should be the most natural and intuitive building blocks of the AI and should only be a few lines of code to implement. It's the most basic strategy of any defense, how could you possibly call it a football game when the defense is freakin ********. My dog watches enough football to realize that's how defense works.

I keep thinking back to my many, many dynasties of years past and always using the run to set up the pass (and vice versa) only to find that it didn't really matter what you did, the defense was too stupid to pick up on it. I always felt that setting up the run never helped out, and now I can see why this was the case. There's no reason to mix in the run when you can do 15 yard out routes every play and the computer never realizes how it is getting raped.

It also reminds me of when I come to the line in a particular formation, then audible to another play in the exact same formation, why does the defense audible too? I know it happens in real life as well sometimes, but it's minor adjustments to the secondary or linebackers to mix things up, not that they are realizing the other team audibled to a deep pass and switch to a dime package when I'm in the wishbone. Then when I audible back to an inside run, the defense "adapts" into a run-stopping machine. It's such a cheap and unimaginative AI that's limited the game experience when played against a computer.

And this is only for NCAA apparently, so what is Madden using, a pair of dice to pick a play? Now forums are flooded with negativity, so I openly admit I will be first in line to buy this game, but only because I love the game of football so much, not because I believe in the product.

So someone tell me..
  • Is there more to this "Adaptive AI" that I am missing?
  • Has the game been doing this all along, just now they are looking for buzzwords to market new features?
  • NCAA is just now implementing features that should have been in the game 15 years ago?

Thanks, I feel better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Adaptive AI?

Haha, co-sign.

I'm in double-tight I formation and audible to a PA pass deep.
Defense audibles to a prevent.
huh?

Lining up in fake punt is the worst though.

edit: realize that's not the main thrust of the post.
It IS completely ******** that the defense can't pick up one 1 play 27 times in a row. Why vary playcalling at all?

Last edited by stylee; 05-15-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: left out something
Old 05-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 8

"Has the game been doing this all along, just now they are looking for buzzwords to market new features?"

I agree with this question. I think the feature has been in the game in some form or fashion. Now they just made it better and are marketing the feature as something new. I hope ...

"I will be first in line to buy this game, but only because I love the game of football so much, not because I believe in the product."

This happens to me every year
Old 05-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
MVP

CKW11's Arena

OVR: 16

The adaptive A.I. is going to be in Madden this year.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Yea it needs to be in both football games and not just one of them. having the Ai to adjust on the fly on my gameplay would make the game more interesting.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »