Home

No formation subs but wow we have season showdown

This is a discussion on No formation subs but wow we have season showdown within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: No formation subs but wow we have season showdown

OL/DL play isn't improved - they just used the same $#!+ animations in a different way instead of dumping the crap engine and using real physics. The players still play in a vacuum where mass and momentum mean nothing. I doubt the "animation steering" is going to keep QB's in the pocket - but I'll hold off on that until I play a the game (Rental for sure. The blogs and lack of information have turned me off of buying). "Layer blending" to allow QB's to throw the ball isn't going to solve the problems and could very well make NCAA 10 more turnover-prone than 08 was. Progressive lighting isn't an improvement, it's been there before. Branching tackles? Break-out tackles? It wasn't that great in Madden (though I have hopes for PROTAK), why should it be better in NCAA? Like with OL/DL, it's animations not real physics. I bet 180 LB backs are still going to run through 300 LB linemen, because nothing in any vids or any blogs have conviced me otherwise.

And even though Mythbusters proved you can polish a turd, the NCAA gameplay engine is beyond repair. Putting glossy finishes on the same animations and tweaking the code aren't going to fix the biggest issues - namely it feels like I'm playing with weightless, 2-D models instead of controlling 250 LB linebackers.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #34
Rookie

zoltranite's Arena

OVR: 8

I still think by and large Create a team was the most wanted feature this year. I just think that everyone will never be satisfied.

I am just wondering why ESPN 2K5 was put out half a decade ago, and this game and madden still hasnt caught up imo.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 4

Ncaa has been a total letdown this year IMO. The stuff madden puts out compared to ncaa is sad. Ncaa dosent even have players for the coin toss while Madden has kickers warming up in the nets, players on the bikes, and fxxkin jet shows. The difference betwen each team is monumental.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 29

zoltranite, it's not just kickoff coverage it's all special teams. for place kicks i like to change my holder and my blockers and on the d side i like to get my fastest players on the edges to get at least a chance for a blocked kick. both ways on punt and kickoff teams I make several changes. it may seem small to some people, but like I said it just gives me the feeling that i'm in total control of my team. you know like a real coach?

I'm not talking about spelling my rb every now and then. i'm talking about a true two back offense where I split the carries 50/50 or as close to that as I can get and like i said it just gets tedious having to swap them out after every play.

it was never a pain to me to make formation subs, because typically it was just part of my preseason prep. I made my personnel changes and basically stuck with them for the entire season.

I didn't realize formation packages let you swap out a de with a lb so that's my bad.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rapid Da Don
Ncaa dosent even have players for the coin toss while Madden has kickers warming up in the nets, players on the bikes, and fxxkin jet shows.
LOL
Old 05-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #38
Rookie

zoltranite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
OL/DL play isn't improved - they just used the same $#!+ animations in a different way instead of dumping the crap engine and using real physics. The players still play in a vacuum where mass and momentum mean nothing. I doubt the "animation steering" is going to keep QB's in the pocket - but I'll hold off on that until I play a the game (Rental for sure. The blogs and lack of information have turned me off of buying). "Layer blending" to allow QB's to throw the ball isn't going to solve the problems and could very well make NCAA 10 more turnover-prone than 08 was. Progressive lighting isn't an improvement, it's been there before. Branching tackles? Break-out tackles? It wasn't that great in Madden (though I have hopes for PROTAK), why should it be better in NCAA? Like with OL/DL, it's animations not real physics. I bet 180 LB backs are still going to run through 300 LB linemen, because nothing in any vids or any blogs have conviced me otherwise.

And even though Mythbusters proved you can polish a turd, the NCAA gameplay engine is beyond repair. Putting glossy finishes on the same animations and tweaking the code aren't going to fix the biggest issues - namely it feels like I'm playing with weightless, 2-D models instead of controlling 250 LB linebackers.
I feel you bro... when I play ESPN I get the sense of who I am controlling, their momentum and body mass plays a factor. Not only that, but I feel like if I am controlling a star player on D I can make a big impact no matter what the position is, but especially LB. Ur right, I do hate the suction crap. But, they did mention something about improved OL/DL interaction and they even had a bunch of videos of it... but I guess I will hold my tongue until it comes out and I buy it. I feel like you guys are gonna buy it too... even if it was for updated rosters, i still feel like you all would buy it. If you wanna make a difference, then dont buy it if you dont like it. It will send a message... but dont dare feel like you are missing our on anything if you do choose not to, other wise, you will give in and buy anyway.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #39
Rookie

lendog691's Arena

OVR: 9

Well guys i guess the only thing left to do to prove our point is to not buy the game. Money is and always will be the biggest factor but alot of people say that and the the day the game comes out there out getting it. So maybe this is the year we step up and let them know were tired of shody products, i do think Madden though will be pretty good....so far.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #40
Rookie

zoltranite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
zoltranite, it's not just kickoff coverage it's all special teams. for place kicks i like to change my holder and my blockers and on the d side i like to get my fastest players on the edges to get at least a chance for a blocked kick. both ways on punt and kickoff teams I make several changes. it may seem small to some people, but like I said it just gives me the feeling that i'm in total control of my team. you know like a real coach?

I'm not talking about spelling my rb every now and then. i'm talking about a true two back offense where I split the carries 50/50 or as close to that as I can get and like i said it just gets tedious having to swap them out after every play.

it was never a pain to me to make formation subs, because typically it was just part of my preseason prep. I made my personnel changes and basically stuck with them for the entire season.

I didn't realize formation packages let you swap out a de with a lb so that's my bad.
I hear what you are saying and I agree about everything for the Special Teams. At least give us the option of choosing who we want and where. I know for Texas Longhorns, my team, Shipley is the holder for the extra points. As far as the 2 rb system. You can currently do that better now than what formation subs could allow you. In formation subs the way they work in PS2 version, you can place a guy anywhere you want, however, if you want the carries to be split 50/50, you are still going to have to flick that r stick to put the other guy in. So if you run a standard Ace form and you put the other guy in and now he comes in everytime you pick that form, if you want the other guy in at RB, instead of holding up the game having to pause it, just flick the r-stick. Or what you could do is go into the sub in/out options before you start your game and you can put sub out RB at 70 or 80%. and put him back in at 95%. That both guys will get some love.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »