Home

Formation Subs - Really that big of a deal?

This is a discussion on Formation Subs - Really that big of a deal? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 12
Formation Subs - Really that big of a deal?

Ok, I understand why most of you are upset about this not being in the game, but it really shouldn't be a make or break for this game. I am more than happy with the given formation subs at the play call screen. Honestly, I think that having complete formation subs would bring much, much more harm than good for online play. Cheesers would run wild with this, and it would get very old, very fast. The NCAA dev team takes the time to watch these teams and get as much of their used formation subs into the game, why is that not good enough?

I would have no problem with formation subs being in for offline play (mainly dynasty), but if it were online it would ruin the experience seeing some ridiculous subs involved.

I think the game is moving in the right direction and I think that Season Showdown will end up being a fun addition for some of us hardcore fans, especially those that look for quality lobby games with the addition of the sportsmanship rating. I know I'll also be using the online trivia aspect, as I am a trivia buff. I also don't think the developers chose Season Showdown OVER formation subs, like some of you are thinking.

Developing these games every year is a process that I think they've done a pretty good job of year in and year out (except 2007, but that was the first shot at next gen). They have a process for stadiums, uni's, playbooks, etc... we may not like it, but they are making a bigger effort to get the community involved, they don't have to come to OS and look for pointers, but they do. I know I wasn't happy about Minnesota's new stadium not being in the game, but after hearing the explanation of why, I understood... not that big of a deal, they want to do it right, so be it. So before you complain about not having complete subs, be happy that it's moving in the right direction, be happy they are coming to the forums and taking pointers for the consumers and the fans. Consider your favorite NCAA of all time, mine was 2006 and 2009 is second... look at the amount of time it took to achieve the gameplay, stadiums, uni's, playbooks... it takes time.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 29
Re: Formation Subs - Really that big of a deal?

I'll still buy the game, but no formation subs is very dissapointing. I don't play online and i agree they probably shouldn't be allowed there. For me to get fully immersed in an offline dynasty this is a must have feature.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

If players actually had weight and momentum and ratings actually mattered then formation subs wouldn't ruin online play.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Banned

WisconsinSports414's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
If players actually had weight and momentum and ratings actually mattered then formation subs wouldn't ruin online play.
True. That's why I personally feel they need to get the core game play where it needs to be before everything fans might want in terms of extra features can be added in.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinSports414
True. That's why I personally feel they need to get the core game play where it needs to be before everything fans might want in terms of extra features can be added in.
Good call.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quick subs don't help that much because it only subs one player on the field. I can only sub in my 2nd string HB with spell HB and that leaves out the freshman HB that's 3rd on the depth chart that I promised playing time to. With quick subs it doesn't have packages, like blocking, speed, or run, that would put the players I want on the field at certain times. Need formation subs for that to happen.

Eric Berry at Tennessee plays damn near EVERY position. Devin Hester plays where ever because he has no natural position. Hester is just put on the field. I have players like that on '09 and I play them at WR, RB, and CB. I feel I shouldn't have to pause the game to make these subs. Need formation subs for that to happen smoothly.

Macho Harris, Chris Gamble, and Charles Woodson, to name a few, played both sides of the ball. They weren't quick subbed into the slot only on 5 and 4 WR sets like in the game. They played when and where ever. Need formation subs for that to happen.

Starters don't play on the kickoff team, punt return team, and kick return team to much. Youngsters and special team players perform those duties. I used to at least let my 3rd string QB hold for FGs and xtra points (I may have been the only one to do that lol). Need formation subs for that to happen.

In reality, the best players are ALWAYS going to be put on the field, PERIOD. Ratings and gameplay just have to work so when a CB is put at QB, the CB is not unstoppable.

Its really sad how formation subs are frowned upon because of players playing their best players and cheesers (yes there is a difference)...but people can play a quarters defense vs. any formation and 5'8 175 lbs. CB's can stand up 6'6 330 lbs. linemen everplay! THAT'S WHAT IS B.S.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Yes, it's a big deal, because we gave zero control on who plays what on special teams outside of K, P, LS, and KR/PR. I can't make sure I have speed guys as gunners on punt coverage. I can't make sure starters are in/out on kick coverage. I can't make sure I have good blockers on kick return. Special teams play already sucks - no squib kicks, no "spread punt" formation, no reverses on returns, not even L/R/Middle returns on kickoffs - as it seems virtually no attention has been given to this vital third of football (especially in the college game!) and without formation subs I have even less control over special teams play.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Rookie

gofresno's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
Yes, it's a big deal, because we gave zero control on who plays what on special teams outside of K, P, LS, and KR/PR. I can't make sure I have speed guys as gunners on punt coverage. I can't make sure starters are in/out on kick coverage. I can't make sure I have good blockers on kick return. Special teams play already sucks - no squib kicks, no "spread punt" formation, no reverses on returns, not even L/R/Middle returns on kickoffs - as it seems virtually no attention has been given to this vital third of football (especially in the college game!) and without formation subs I have even less control over special teams play.
+1

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »