Home

NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues.

This is a discussion on NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 38
Re: NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
No, it wouldn't. That time estimate includes anything we could take from Madden. If it was that small of a task, it might have made it in.
EXCUSES, I'm sick of hearing them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #26
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

All this talk about the Mascot Mode reminds me of a realization that I had not too long back. It happened when my six year old cousin came over. He loves going to the OSU football games so naturally he wanted to play NCAA 09. Even though he has an PS1 at his house, he had a lot of difficulty playing the game despite playing on the easiest difficulty setting. Granted, he's just now started playing tackle football and is just now gaining an understanding of the game, but the prospect of reading defenses, making the right reads, finding running lanes, and calling defenses was very overwhelming. It suddenly made me realize how video games have developed at the same pace that I grew up.

Let me explain. When I was six, I had the Nintendo and Tecmo Bowl. When I got a little older, I got Madden on the Super Nintendo. I grew up some more and the Playstation came out. Then when I turned 15 and was not only full coordinated, but also had a very good understanding of football, that's when the PS2 came out and the really in-depth, complicated Maddens and NCAAs started coming out. Basically, as I grew up and became more capable of handling complicated games, a new console would come out. The question suddenly came to me. What sports games are out there that little kids can play on the new consoles? I can't imagine being six years old and trying to figure out Madden and/or NCAA 09. I thought 2-4 buttons were complicated when I was the age. Now you've got 4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, a D-Pad, 2 analog sticks (which are also the R3 and L3 buttons), and even motion controls on the PS3.

It's hard for me to talk bad about the Wii or anyone who puts in features for little kids because when I look around, there isn't much out there for the younger audience on the 360 or PS3. I still want my simulation football game, but something like Mascot Mode takes almost no disc space or time to implement and is a nice feature for little kids.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #27
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
No, it wouldn't. That time estimate includes anything we could take from Madden. If it was that small of a task, it might have made it in.
So we should probably stop asking for formation subs because they will probably never be in?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #28
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
And as a dev team we'd rather do formation subs than mascot mode. However, mascot mode was such a minute change that it had no real impact on our schedule. It was less than a day worth of work.

Formation subs on the other hand is something like 300-500 hours of dev time. A significant impact. Trust me, we wanted to do formation subs... but one of the most difficult parts of our job is making hard cuts to our task list for the year.
300-500 hours? Holy crap! Why so long?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
EXCUSES, I'm sick of hearing them
you better respect the OMT, boy! no matter how many excuses you get. he takes his time to come to these forums and post even though people flood him with questions all the damn time!

last time i checked, you werent making any video games so what do you know anyway?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

Easy or tough to put in, formation subs should be in the game by now. As should custom playbooks. These are basic features that we already had in lastgen, and it's astounding that they're not by year 4 of nextgen.

Whether I'm a programming genius or an incompetent fool, the above is a trivial observation.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #31
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
And as a dev team we'd rather do formation subs than mascot mode. However, mascot mode was such a minute change that it had no real impact on our schedule. It was less than a day worth of work.

Formation subs on the other hand is something like 300-500 hours of dev time. A significant impact. Trust me, we wanted to do formation subs... but one of the most difficult parts of our job is making hard cuts to our task list for the year.
Doesn't Madden already have formation subs in? Couldn't you just steal from them?

How is it that the Madden team found time to get them in and the NCAA team didn't?

If Season Showdown took 300-500 hours of development time then your NCAA team worked on the wrong thing.

Extremely disappointed with this game, the development team, and the excuses. The bottom line is that EA decided to add meaningless features (See Season Showdown, Mascot Games, Road to Glory, Team Builder for me, etc.) rather than make the game feel and play better.

Last edited by heavy_hitter; 05-26-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #32
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
Mascot mode probably sells more copies than formation subs.
Formation subs is not a "feature". Too many people are looking at everything as a feature rather than just a standard function.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »