Home

NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues.

This is a discussion on NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smace767
And as stated on the first page the game data on the disc is the same size on the 360 and ps3 as it was on the xbox and ps2. And the games require more resources graphiclly. So it is damn near impossible to have everything in a ps2/ xbox game plus the upgrade in graphics or anything else.

We are not in a true next generation from a size of code and data stand point. All the games they make on the 360 they could make almost exactly the same on an xbox/ps2 from a size of the game stand point. Its not completely that simple but to make the point they took a full dvd from a ps2/xbox and you want them to make a better game using the same size dvd. The flip side of that is it would take 4, 360 game discs to have all the data and code from 1 MLB the Show game disc.

The ps3 is next generation because it allows for 3x as much game code/ data on a single disc as does the 360 / xbox / ps2.
I was well aware of the point you made about data size when I made my initial post. My genius-programmer-or-fool comment was only to preempt any "if YOU can't make a better game then STFU" responses.

I understand it's hard to give us oldgen + new features, but we have it from OMT that formation subs aren't an impossibility... rather, they're a painful 300-500 hours of dev time. If that's the case, then by all means, please put it in guys. Delay the release of the game if necessary, but don't leave such a fundamental aspect of the game out for the 4th year in a row.

Of course, I'm not that great with money either, so maybe I'm asking EA to take an unreasonable hit financially for hundreds of hours of development time that won't affect sales all that much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

some people arent getting it. its not frustrating that SS is in. it's frustrating when SS (a kinda cool looking feature imo if ppl dont cheese) is in over basic things, one of them being formation subs.

not to mention from the look of it, ncaa 10 doesnt look that much improved over 09 in the gameplay aspect (even though all i can use to judge 10 is a few videos) imo, the graphics really arent that much better and they still look kinda funky. running animations are still robotic and there is no momentum to anything.
while madden is coming out with pro tak, realistic graphics(miles ahead ncaa in picture and in action), better animations, more ratings, better line of scrimmage actions/animations, new equipment, and more communication with the community.

OMT or anyone for that matter can tell me "well you cant say madden is that much better than ncaa if you havent played either" but i wont buy it. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out just from the blogs, and the videos that madden 10 is lightyears past ncaa 10 in EVERY aspect but CAS, online dynasty and even SS if you wanna go that far. is there an explanation for that?

im seriously not trying to be a dick here but i think after what is it 4 years of next gen, EA owes the people a straight up good college football game that will keep them occupied until the next one and so on and so fourth.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #43
Rookie

MSchneider84's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
And as a dev team we'd rather do formation subs than mascot mode. However, mascot mode was such a minute change that it had no real impact on our schedule. It was less than a day worth of work.

Formation subs on the other hand is something like 300-500 hours of dev time. A significant impact. Trust me, we wanted to do formation subs... but one of the most difficult parts of our job is making hard cuts to our task list for the year.
500 hours of development time? Working 40 hour work weeks (I'm assuming you guys work more, but lets keep it consistent.) it would take 12.5 weeks to add in formation subs? Or a little over 3 months? How in the world did Madden manage to sit that much time aside LAST year to put in something they can't put on the back of their box for marketing?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #44
Rookie

KingsRock91's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGiaNTS25
you better respect the OMT, boy! no matter how many excuses you get. he takes his time to come to these forums and post even though people flood him with questions all the damn time!

last time i checked, you werent making any video games so what do you know anyway?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #45
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchneider84
500 hours of development time? Working 40 hour work weeks (I'm assuming you guys work more, but lets keep it consistent.) it would take 12.5 weeks to add in formation subs? Or a little over 3 months? How in the world did Madden manage to sit that much time aside LAST year to put in something they can't put on the back of their box for marketing?
Maybe the Madden team had more people working on it?

Or Maybe Madden had people they could devote to just formation subs.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like formation subs, I would love them. But to sit here and question the information that OMT is so kind to give us on his own time I don't agree with.

Twitch Stream
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #46
Rookie

smace767's Arena

OVR: 4

My bad if i came across negative toward anyone. Everybody has a right to their opinion. Not trying to start beef based on somebodies opinion.

I am just confused as to the hate for season showdown and teambuilder. The hate for teambuilder has died down a little but it did/does exist.

I was getting ncaa 10 before i even new what these features were and if they(EA) said we are taking them out, its still a buy for me. I played 413 online games in Ncaa 09 and online dynasty and the human player helped to hide some of the flaws the game had.

My point in saying it took little resources to implement is simple. You look at something they will put in the game and you ask were is this being used? is on a web site? is it a gameplay thing is it a mode, is it a feature? What did it cost in time and disc space?

Teambuilder-
what is it?-team file creating database(most would agree this would be harder to do than season showdown. Ian from the Madden team worked on teambuilder and he was gone about 3 or 4 weeks. you can go to the madden forum and find his post on this.)
we will use teambuilder before anybody has the game. That right there tells you it doesn't impact whats on the disc. Teambuilder is a data base thats on a web site. you make a team file online and swap it with a team file that is in the game. Whats on the disc is the ability to swap out teams and a shortcut to the teambuilder site.

season showdown-
what is it?- a menu system / interface that displays user stats and connects user stats thru the EA servers.

The user stats you get from 09 was expanded and placed in three categories: vs. cpu, vs online, vs showdown opponent(the team your school plays that week). a little code and a little time to add to the user stat points code from 09, and a shortcut to the ea server to post scores.

the other 2 parts of ss are links or shortcuts to the trivia web site and the voting web site. 2 shortcuts.

In actual pieces, it is 3 shortcuts and user stats from 09, divided in to three areas. From a program stand point it don't take that much to do.
I doubt the game developers built the web sites and these web sites wouldn't stop things they want to put on the disk/ in the game, be it game play or formation subs. And from the first videos in March season showdown looked was complete and teambuilder looked almost done.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyBanana
I don't think you can call it **** if you haven't experienced it yet.

It could open up the game and make it *THAT* more exciting for you. You don't know until you try it.

But what do I know, I guess I come from the old school.
very true, i'm gonna do my best to make auburn out rep bama...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #48
Pro

AC IS ART's Arena

OVR: 15

I just don't get it. I'm not trying to bash or flame or anything, but what was a higher priority over formation subs? It just seems like over the years its the same generic response of why things the consumers want are not put into the game. If their was more interaction with the community besides OMT, maybe it wouldn't seem like people are bashing him.

I understand this is no easy feat when it comes to programming games, but it feels like a waste of time to make wishlists or suggestions when the things we want the most (a fundamentally sound game of football with college atmosphere) are continually overlooked or responded with "will try to get it in the next year".

A big reason why it seems like Madden is crushing NCAA, is not because of advertising or hype or whatever crap is being said as the reason. Its because this community specifically, feels they have actual input/voice on how the game progresses. With NCAA its more like whenever we receive info/media it only raises more questions or eyebrows. Until NCAA adopts the mantra "Everything you see on Saturday, See it in NCAAF" I feel it will always be considered little brother to Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »