Home

Speed in NCAA vs Madden

This is a discussion on Speed in NCAA vs Madden within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Speed in NCAA vs Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moojenowski
Maybe on Varsity, but this isn't Bo Jackson on TECMO.

If Madden and NCAA were on the same disc, yeah, an issue... but they aren't. They've been two completely different games for a long time, just like the NFL and College football are different... and yes, these teams (UF, FSU, LSU...) do recruit track stars that may not have ALL the needed skills, but work in their system. The other things you say do need to be fixed (accuracy and what not).

To say there's no such thing? Really? We're not talking about leprachauns, you can find this kind of speed on teams. How many kids on UF's team ran sub 4.3 40's? Chris Rainey, John Demps, Percy Harvin, Pierre-Louis... They are fast everywhere on that team (DE, LB, CB, S, name it, there is speed on UF)... I remember when John Demps wanted to come to FSU, but we didn't recruit "track stars" then. Yeah good call coaches.

When you watch a college game vs a game with lets say the Colts and the Patriots, which game looks faster? The college game because you have such big gaps between talent and skill levels, why shouldnt NCAA play faster, too? A team like FSU, OSU, USC should run circles around lower rated teams because they bring in the talent and the speed to do that. UF ran circles around FSU this past November, speed at every position just stretching our defense, and guess what, the game played faster than an NFL game... it was more wide open. Speed opens up the field way more in college football than it does in NFL.

And to say that everyone went too fast? No way... Tight Ends don't move in 09, neither do lower rated LB's and even high rated DE's... If speed was a problem in 09 it was with WRs, RBs and scrambling QBs... not everyone.
i disagree with your logic because i think talent gaps and how the game actually plays are two different things. sub 4.3, i assume demps is capable considering his 100 time, but with noone running a sub 4.3 at the combine this year i highly doubt there are 5 on the gators who did.
you've got to give some credit to what the gators do to the design of the offense, its not just outrunning everybody its design and misdirection sometimes. my own opinion is that its corny to have more speed on a college roster than a nfl roster. it doesnt have to be a minor league game across the board, but when their individual skills independent of the talent they are playing against exceed those which nfl players possess then its just not remotely realistic.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActLikeYouCrow
but when their individual skills independent of the talent they are playing against exceed those which nfl players possess then its just not remotely realistic.
I'm not trying to say their skills should exceed what an NFL player has, but the gap between matchups is almost always bigger, and you see these skills really take an advantage of a weaker opponent, where in the NFL and madden, the advantage isn't in as much favor to the more talented player.

It's not NCAA vs Madden, its team vs team ins NCAA... and that's the only comparison. Like I said before, Madden vs NCAA = two completely different games... One example is the players ratings when you import a draft class into Madden... the numbers are completely different. So, consider the ratings for the NCAA game for the NCAA field, do not compare them to NFL players.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moojenowski
I'm not trying to say their skills should exceed what an NFL player has, but the gap between matchups is almost always bigger, and you see these skills really take an advantage of a weaker opponent, where in the NFL and madden, the advantage isn't in as much favor to the more talented player.

It's not NCAA vs Madden, its team vs team ins NCAA... and that's the only comparison. Like I said before, Madden vs NCAA = two completely different games... One example is the players ratings when you import a draft class into Madden... the numbers are completely different. So, consider the ratings for the NCAA game for the NCAA field, do not compare them to NFL players.
+100

This is why scaled ratings were more important in NCAA than Madden(even though Madden scale ratings is a joke IMO).

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

NCAA's speed doesn't bother me but it's how well they maintain speed while changing directions. I thought 08 was much better about this. When dathrone said the D was dumbed down, he was right. The biggest problem with this game is the lack of programming football fundamentals. When players are in position/formations, etc. that reflect how the game is played then many of us would be ecstatic. Instead, the experiment with 09 and Wide open gameplay has made this game the worst video game experience for me. Fix how the game is intended to be played and then work from there. Even though it is a football game, fundamental football should be priority number one. The arcade attitude needs to go. They really need some guys to work on this who have strong football backgrounds for consult.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #13
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
NCAA's speed doesn't bother me but it's how well they maintain speed while changing directions. I thought 08 was much better about this. When dathrone said the D was dumbed down, he was right. The biggest problem with this game is the lack of programming football fundamentals. When players are in position/formations, etc. that reflect how the game is played then many of us would be ecstatic. Instead, the experiment with 09 and Wide open gameplay has made this game the worst video game experience for me. Fix how the game is intended to be played and then work from there. Even though it is a football game, fundamental football should be priority number one. The arcade attitude needs to go. They really need some guys to work on this who have strong football backgrounds for consult.
If they stop wasting time doing God knows what else and fix the fundmentals all will be right with this game.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
If they stop wasting time doing God knows what else and fix the fundmentals all will be right with this game.
I think everything they added is ok. However, if I pick up the controller and this plays out like 09, then heads should roll at EA. If they couldn't improve over that pile of dung then I'd be more than happy for them to cut some guys and bring in a new team. There are several on the NCAA crew that obviously don't know how to make a credible football game.

I have talked to a tester who says '10 is very challenging which gives me hope, but at the same time he is a great online player and is borderline cheesy who has input on how the game plays. What's up with this?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
I think everything they added is ok. However, if I pick up the controller and this plays out like 09, then heads should roll at EA. If they couldn't improve over that pile of dung then I'd be more than happy for them to cut some guys and bring in a new team. There are several on the NCAA crew that obviously don't know how to make a credible football game.

I have talked to a tester who says '10 is very challenging which gives me hope, but at the same time he is a great online player and is borderline cheesy who has input on how the game plays. What's up with this?
EA needs to start bringing in better beta testers that understand football, not top online players, because that bolded print is usually how they get to the top...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #16
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20

yes agreed!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »