Home

THE GREAT SIM DEBATE

This is a discussion on THE GREAT SIM DEBATE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: THE GREAT SIM DEBATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
what's sim....

a game that doesn't promote Season Showdown as its main addition

a game that focuses more on gameplay instead of revamping race for the heisman

a game that doesn't allow you to buy cheats in dynasty

a game that penalizes you for celebrating with the mascot..

Truth lol
Old 06-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Swaggy Poole

justblaze09's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
Yes, if you break a big run everytime it's not sim. There's a reason it's a big deal to reach 1,000 yds per season or 100 per game. Defenses try to stop you from doing this and it's rather difficult. If you don't understand then don't comment any further. We're talking real football, not NFL Street.
Tavon Austin says hi lol...

but yeah if you are exploiting the games weaknesses, then it's cheese. If the person you play just sucks then it's another story
Old 06-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
Rookie

GetYaWeigtUp's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
I sniff a lacent cheeser who wants to run the wild cat as a base offense.

Look, the wild cat is a gimmick. if it is used more then say...3 times in a game..that's a lot.

If you ran it series after series, you are a fool..because in the real world. you can only trick a competent defense so many times.

Control whoever you want on D, run whatever schemes you want, and dont play the game like you just got out of a sandbox....and there you go.

sim is subjective, outside of a few universal stand-by's...that i assume everyone agrees on: idiotic QB drop backs, rocket catching, etc.

Outisde of that, as long as you arent playing the game, like a turd..youre cool.
How can you say running it more than 3 times is a lot when teams like Arkansas, Florida, WVU, etc., run it all game long? Yea they use other formations also but they run it a lot. Not to mention the Miami Dolphins ran it the entire game against NE, and a lot in a few other games last season.

You sound like the guy who is such a traditionalist you cant see that football has taken a turn in another direction. But...what you obviously dont know is that the Wildcat is simply another version of the single wing, which this game was founded on, just ask ND fans! And the spread is nothing more than another version of the veer option EVERYONE used to run, now you just a QB in a shotgun with the wingbacks spread, but the blocking schemes are still the same, the motioning is still the same. Go watch some old ND (1920s) and Nebraska (1980's-90's) and then watch WVU, and UF (recent) and you'll see exactly why football is the same as it was years ago, with different formations!

I dont run the Wildcat because Im more of a pro-style offensive guy myself, but Im not against the Wildcat. Its what people are doing these days, and it gives defenses hell. This offense was not hard to stop in 09 so I def dont see it as being cheese.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
Banned

In 'real' football, if you run the same play over and over again, the defense will almost certainly adjust. That doesn't just mean play calling on defense, it means how the players react. That's realism and hence it is 'sim'. If you can break a run everytime you run the wildcat, then it's a function of your superior stick skills vs predictable defense as opposed to great football skills.

Edit: Note that the wildcat is a 'formation'; I mean to say here the same running play from that formation (or any formation for that matter).

Now there are exceptions; sometimes in college football a really weak team just can't man up against a power house so it doesn't matter what happens (the option was always an easy way for superior talent to easily flatten cream puffs).

I suggest it is EXTREMELY difficult if not impossible for a video game to reach true sim level except those games with a 'coach' style. No matter what the programmers do, as long as individuals are controlling the action then the players on the digital field will always perform either better or worse than they would in a true sim situation (based on the user's stick skills).

That's why I love the new QB auto-throw. I look forward to finding an online dynasty using it; then the games will be decided purely by football strategy and not lag or finger reflexes.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #21
Pro

WolverinesFinest's Arena

OVR: 14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNMM...eature=related
Is he cheesing or not sim?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Msw...eature=related
is this lack of AI?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUx9ix-CxbM
speaks for itself...

My point is like it or not when people cheese it's not to far from reality or the goal of "sim", im not saying I like it just being honest. For the guy that said running the widlcat for 3 possessions or something is cheese; watch the michael vick game vs the vikings from like 03(not sure about the year). The whole 4th quarter he basically dropped back and ran almsot every 3 plays. If that happened in the game I bet you would call that "not sim" as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #22
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mallow
In 'real' football, if you run the same play over and over again, the defense will almost certainly adjust. That doesn't just mean play calling on defense, it means how the players react. That's realism and hence it is 'sim'. If you can break a run everytime you run the wildcat, then it's a function of your superior stick skills vs predictable defense as opposed to great football skills.

Now there are exceptions; sometimes in college football a really weak team just can't man up against a power house so it doesn't matter what happens (the option was always an easy way for superior talent to easily flatten cream puffs).

I suggest it is EXTREMELY difficult if not impossible for a video game to reach true sim level except those games with a 'coach' style. No matter what the programmers do, as long as individuals are controlling the action then the players on the digital field will always perform either better or worse than they would in a true sim situation (based on the user's stick skills).

That's why I love the new QB auto-throw. I look forward to finding an online dynasty using it; then the games will be decided purely by football strategy and not lag or finger reflexes.
Two words Sir! Georgia Tech! They ran the same offense and was sucessful until the Bayou Bengals get up in that ***.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Two words Sir! Georgia Tech! They ran the same offense and was sucessful until the Bayou Bengals get up in that ***.
Exceptions sometimes prove the rule. And your post says "until"...

In real football, run the same play over and over again and you're toast; unless there is a huge talent advantage (which is possible at the collegiate level but not as much as it used to be).

In video game football, that is not always the case. Find the 'money play' (and all games have had them Atari) and it's an easy six. In real football, there are rarely money plays.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #24
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mallow
Exceptions sometimes prove the rule. And your post says "until"...

In real football, run the same play over and over again and you're toast; unless there is a huge talent advantage (which is possible at the collegiate level but not as much as it used to be).

In video game football, that is not always the case. Find the 'money play' (and all games have had them Atari) and it's an easy six. In real football, there are rarely money plays.
There are plenty of college teams that have little to no diversity in there play calling. Texas Tech come to mind!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »