Home

THE GREAT SIM DEBATE

This is a discussion on THE GREAT SIM DEBATE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
THE GREAT SIM DEBATE

There always seems to be confussion going on about what is "sim" and what's not "sim".

For example some ppl think that wildcat is not sim, even though every teams practices it and most teams use it.

I created this thread for us to come up with some unified defenitions of what is cosindered sim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: THE GREAT SIM DEBATE

Search feature.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
There always seems to be confussion going on about what is "sim" and what's not "sim".

For example some ppl think that wildcat is not sim, even though every teams practices it and most teams use it.

I created this thread for us to come up with some unified defenitions of what is cosindered sim.
My definition of a sim is a game that gets realistic stats compared to real NCAA averages.

Wildcat can be sim, but if you take it to the house every play, its cheese. It you run it 20 times and average 5 yards per play(or whatever the real average is) its sim.

Options are sim, but if the game is broken and you break long run after long run while the AI follows you like a swarm of bees, not sim.

If you call a good game with numerous plays, sim. If you throw deep every time, not sim.

Sim is really getting a good mix of play calling that gets realistic stats. If the game is broken, and I am sure it will be in some areas then there are things you can do that make it straight Cheese. See Maddennation for a video demonstration.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Sim is trying to replicate what happens in the actually sport. Within the limits of a video game.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
My definition of a sim is a game that gets realistic stats compared to real NCAA averages.

Wildcat can be sim, but if you take it to the house every play, its cheese. It you run it 20 times and average 5 yards per play(or whatever the real average is) its sim.

Options are sim, but if the game is broken and you break long run after long run while the AI follows you like a swarm of bees, not sim.

If you call a good game with numerous plays, sim. If you throw deep every time, not sim.

Sim is really getting a good mix of play calling that gets realistic stats. If the game is broken, and I am sure it will be in some areas then there are things you can do that make it straight Cheese. See Maddennation for a video demonstration.
And in a real sim, when someone throws deep the majority of the time, they get their @ss beat because the completion % goes way down and the user flops because he gambles too much. This isn't the case in NCAA 09 though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:

I get what you are saying with the majority of you post, and I agree.
But, I don't think a persons play calling has anything to do with a game being sim or not. Now if you're talking about the computer throwing deep every time, then I agree, but if you're talking about a player choosing to throw deep every time, I don't. The game gives you a pretty wide variety of plays to pick from (wildcat included) which is sim. If you choose to run the same play over and over, or trow deep routs all game, that is your choice. It may be cheese but it has nothing to do with the game being sim, it has to do with that player not playing it as a sim.

To answer to original question, the wildcat is part of the game so having it in helps make the game more sim. Not having it would make the game less of a sim, because you wouldn't be able to do something that they do in real life.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom41
I get what you are saying with the majority of you post, and I agree.
But, I don't think a persons play calling has anything to do with a game being sim or not. Now if you're talking about the computer throwing deep every time, then I agree, but if you're talking about a player choosing to throw deep every time, I don't. The game gives you a pretty wide variety of plays to pick from (wildcat included) which is sim. If you choose to run the same play over and over, or trow deep routs all game, that is your choice. It may be cheese but it has nothing to do with the game being sim, it has to do with that player not playing it as a sim.

To answer to original question, the wildcat is part of the game so having it in helps make the game more sim. Not having it would make the game less of a sim, because you wouldn't be able to do something that they do in real life.
If there is no degree of difficulty and a person completes tons of deep passes like they were slants, then it's not sim. There should be more timing involved and the longer the throw, the lower the completion percentage so there should be a higher degree of difficulty to perform deep passes unless the D is ********. It shouldn't be as easy as it is to score.

Also, we are missing basic, fundamental elments of the game. The AI is awful and the players aren't programmed to do the simple things with more ease than the more difficult plays.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:

you're dumb. so if you break big run everytime its not sim? but if you dont its sim?

and isnt the point of an option to get a big gain.. how is that not sim.. and you blame the AI for whether your game is sim or not?

LFMAO!!!!!1

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »