Home

What's Wrong With NCAA 05?

This is a discussion on What's Wrong With NCAA 05? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 AM   #9
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: What's Wrong With NCAA 05?

2005 represented a market change in focus for Tiburon in general. It almost seems like whatever level of quality they were shooting for was reached in '04 and they turned to adding gimmicks.

I honestly can't remember what made one good or one bad back then, all I know is that 2005 was the year Franchise Mode in Madden stopping producing even close to realistic stats, it was the year of the Super Jumping defensive backs, and other poorly thought out "fixes".

And to think.. it's taken until this year for Madden to fix that DB thing, and NCAA still hasn't. Depressing.

I don't wanna totally rag on the NCAA team. They've got a much tougher job than the Madden team, and they've got more hardcore fans... but that last bit is exactly why it's so confusing that they weren't the ones to take the lead and move toward a more sim style of gameplay, especially since NCAA needs that more considering the number of offensive styles that need to be less twitch, more read.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Banned

WisconsinSports414's Arena

OVR: 9

The dropped passes were tough, but 2005 was my all-time favorite game in the series. Actually, to this day, I had my longest and most entertaining dynasty on that game with Colorado...Losing to Texas and getting screwed out of the NCG...beating them in the NCG the next year. Nearly getting upset at home by a horrible Baylor team..awesome.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinSports414
The dropped passes were tough, but 2005 was my all-time favorite game in the series. Actually, to this day, I had my longest and most entertaining dynasty on that game with Colorado...Losing to Texas and getting screwed out of the NCG...beating them in the NCG the next year. Nearly getting upset at home by a horrible Baylor team..awesome.
how many years?

@AdamdotH
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonTiger
how many years?
Close to twenty years/seasons. Don't quite remember the exact time, but, yeah. I put in a lot of hours with 05.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

This was on Xbox, I think PS2 dodged some of these problems...

- Way too many dropped passes
- Slow down behind the LOS on running/PA pass plays
- Debut of LB/DB's leaping five yards from a standstill to deflect/pick off a pass
- DB/WR's played volleyball on passes more than 15 yards down field. Passes would get deflected 3-4 times each play way, way too often (several times per game) and led to a lot of frustrating INTs.

The latter two were the worst, they were huge changes from 2004 and made me put the game down within a month.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 06-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 38

Does 06 have probation and player discipline?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

I went at least 20+ with 04 and 05. At least.

I really got into 05 mainly because I felt it was more challenging. I hated the easy dropped passes over the middle but it caused more punts etc. I remember some of the toughest games I ever played being on those two issues. The CPU was tough. If the CPU teams would have recruited smarter it would have been better but that's always been a problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
I went at least 20+ with 04 and 05. At least.

I really got into 05 mainly because I felt it was more challenging. I hated the easy dropped passes over the middle but it caused more punts etc. I remember some of the toughest games I ever played being on those two issues. The CPU was tough. If the CPU teams would have recruited smarter it would have been better but that's always been a problem.
Exactly. I loved the fact that the game was more challenging. Defense was actually fun to play, and Heisman was actually...well, though, unlike with these Next Gen versions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »