Home

Rocket Catching

This is a discussion on Rocket Catching within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Rocket Catching

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves9
If you could only strafe on jump ball situations, it'd be fine, but I don't think EA can make a patch like that, so I say just leave it in. If you take being able to strafe out on offense, you have to do the same for defense or else it just gives the defense a huge advantage.

EDIT: I'm guessing you've never seen a fade route to the corner of the endzone have ya, potatoes? You see players turn around and face the quarterback on throws plenty of times.. You must not watch football. Or at least something besides Cougar football...
I might not be sure what the term rocket catching means then. Isnt rocket catching where they jump really high in the air and catch it one handed or something else. Clue me in I must be off or something...

Theres nothing wrong with cougar football....we are just really really bad
Old 06-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #10
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

Haha maybe they'll get better? Rocket catching is where the receiver goes up really high, and fast to make a catch. It could be two handed, or one handed. It is done by strafing when the ball isn't to it's destination yet, and your just getting it at it's highest point. It's a part of football that can be exploited in a video game. I don't play online much so maybe that's why this doesn't bug me much.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:09 AM   #11
MVP

Oh ok that makes more sense.... If you were to diable user catching online then wouldnt that make the passing unbalanced as your opponet will pick the ball off alot?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #12
MVP

Or if defensive backs were disabled couldnt linebackers a major advantage then against cpu recievers?
Old 06-24-2009, 03:21 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 5
Icon11 Re: Rocket Catching

The problems with rocket catching are, there's no way to properly defend it because once you perfect it, you know exactly how to position the receiver to get the perfect animation. And therefore all strategy elements pretty much go out the window in favor of learning how to user rocket catch. Because of the turn-on-a-dime momentum/physics and the fact that wide receivers don't need to see the ball to be manually moved in perfect position for the catch, rocket catching is a major problem for those that play online and want to be competitive and realistic at the same time.

I didn't play much Madden 09, but I guess rocket catching was pretty bad in that game, and apparently, with the NCAA team pretty much using the same engine as Madden 09, they didn't bother fixing rocket catches.

Here, you can see a video of someone using only curl routes and rocket catches on the NCAA 10 demo, driving all the way down the field on HEISMAN against Florida's A+ defense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGA6oNvWjmE

Very sad.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 29

^Okay we get it babies there's clearly an issue for online players the question for the development team is how should they go about fixing it? that's why i asked the question, short of removing all user catching for offense and defense, what are the options here?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
^Okay we get it babies there's clearly an issue for online players the question for the development team is how should they go about fixing it? that's why i asked the question, short of removing all user catching for offense and defense, what are the options here?
Well, let's see, there have been dozens of football games made in the past decade. Only a handful of them have had super-effective rocket catching similar to those in the video I linked. And yet all of them have had user catching. So clearly you can have one without the other. It's a matter of implementing realistic animations and giving the defense the proper animations and intelligence to combat whatever tools the offense has.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
There is nothing wrong with the rocket catch. You just need to find a defense that can counter it. I play alot bump and run agaist people I play online. Because they do throws. I usually knock it down are INt it.
No, there is something wrong with rocket catching..its unrealistic

yea, we can stop it..but a very small percentage of people would find a game in which they have to defend that sort of BS all game vs a game that resembles real football ...fun

and that is the point of this whole thing..

NCAA online is not real football...and it is not EAs fault it the JAs faults..

Out of the 500+ games I have played, then than 40 of those were straight up games by my opponent

wide receivers at te, hb at fb...yea we can combat these by doing equally cheesy things on defense but WHATS THE POINT..

some people just want to play a game like they see on TV..

/rant

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »