Home

How do you get pressure on the CPU QB?

This is a discussion on How do you get pressure on the CPU QB? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: How do you get pressure on the CPU QB?

I tried switching over to playing as the LE using oklahoma. I played a 4 man front and blitzed 2 times just sending 4 the rest of the time. I get more pressure from there rushing tim's blindside which they generally seem to set as the weak side of the formation. The last game I had 2 sacks and 4 plays where I hit the qb as he was throwing including one that ended up intercepted. My teammates also got 2 sacks. Tebow also slipped out of a couple sacks but those are also times either me or my teammates got to him and atleast got hands on and was forced to run a couple times.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #42
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Using the defensive keys, gameplan, r-stick, blitzes and user JTS, I've gotten pressure on the QB at a pretty good clip, especially when playing as Florida.

in obvious passing downs, I switch my gameplan for the DL to pin their ears back and get after the QB(jump the snap) and change my defensive key to look pass. Using a straight 4 man rush and I'm able to put pressure on the QB.

Also one of the big keys is using the L-Stick and R-stick in unison. It seems that the L-stick, when engaged, helps you steer the OL, and then you use the R-stick to make the move. Once I learned this, rushing the QB, plus getting off blocks in general, got a lot better.

EDIT: Kcarr mentions the L-stick steering above. Sorry Kcarr, I didn't read all posts before posting.
I'll give this a try tonight and see if it helps me at all.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #43
MVP

Ok I am getting sick and tired of people claiming the pass rush is fine. Getting a couple sacks here and there does not equal consistent pressure.

If you think the pass rush is fine, do this test that I did after I got annoyed with the lack of consistent pressure. Every play using one of the teams drop back and see how long it takes for you to get sacked. Here were the results I got doing that for 14 plays. 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 12 seconds, 8 seconds, 17 seconds, 15 seconds, 16 seconds, 7 seconds, 4 seconds, 11 seconds, 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 9 seconds. Given that much time to throw on average what CPU or human QB will not pick a defense apart. That is not even close to the limited time QB's have to get rid of the ball in real life.

Manually controlling d-linemen, blitzing or using abusing JTS should not be the only to generate consistent pressure. The pass rush from CPU d-linemen is simply pathetic. Dominate d-linemen regardless of if there human controlled or not should be able to get consistent pressure.

The pocket still stinks as well. DE don't really get upfield at all and DT's don't create any kind of push upfield. I don't want to see anybody giving EA credit for implementing a poor pocket this far into this gen. The fact that we still don't have a true pocket is ridiculous.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 06-30-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
Ok I am getting sick and tired of people claiming the pass rush is fine. Getting a couple sacks here and there does not equal consistent pressure.

If you think the pass rush is fine, do this test that I did after I got annoyed with the lack of consistent pressure. Every play using one of the teams drop back and see how long it takes for you to get sacked. Here were the results I got doing that for 14 plays. 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 12 seconds, 8 seconds, 17 seconds, 15 seconds, 16 seconds, 7 seconds, 4 seconds, 11 seconds, 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 9 seconds. Given that much time to throw on average what CPU or human QB will not pick a defense apart. That is not even close to the limited time QB's have to get rid of the ball in real life.

Manually controlling d-linemen, blitzing or using abusing JTS should not be the only to generate consistent pressure. The pass rush from CPU d-linemen is simply pathetic. Dominate d-linemen regardless of if there human controlled or not should be able to get consistent pressure.

The pocket still stinks as well. DE don't really get upfield at all and DT's don't create any kind of push upfield. I don't want to see anybody giving EA credit for implementing a poor pocket this far into this gen. The fact that we still don't have a true pocket is ridiculous.
I agree about the pass rush... it's just not there.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #45
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Ok I am getting sick and tired of people claiming the pass rush is fine.

"stop having a different opinion/experience than I am."

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 06-30-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #46
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

I can generate decent pressure with Florida. Especially with Dunlap and Cunningham. I'm not just talking sacks either. Much better pressure for me on All-American than with Heisman. Heisman is more difficult to get good pressure on the QB.

You definitely have to use your gameplanning to your advantage. I can create great pressure on 3rd down and mid to long because I go into agressive mode and also play for the pass (LT and L or R stick up - can't remember).

The DL/OL play isn't perfect by any stretch, but I am seeing better results using all of my options.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:

First off what level are you testing this on, second what do you have the gameplanning set to, and third how far are you dropping back?

On hiesman with the defense set to agressive using florida for 8 snaps sending 4 guys with the d and blocking with 5 on average I had just over 5 seconds. All of those were out of the gun and included 1 times where tim broke a tackle without me hitting a button extending it up to 7 seconds and would have been shorter times otherwise. Without breaking a tackle he had one time with 6 seconds

Using oklahoma with the same setup but going out of a single back formation I averaged the just over 5 as well but it would have been considerably less except bradford had one play where he broke 2 tackles and the d was all around him and got blocked off at the last second where it took 14 seconds. At some point along there the cpu probably would have gotten nervous and thrown a hurried pass and I know for sure I would have. Not counting that one the average was only 4 seconds.

Playing with the offense set to agressive and the D to passive where the offense should basically have a ton of time florida averaged just over 8 seconds and oklahoma averaged just over 10 seconds. Bradford had one play with 5 broken tackles though and another with 4 which took 19 and 15 seconds respectively. Without those it is down to just over 8 seconds.

With them both set to the balanced gameplan the averages for both teams were just over 6 seconds with florida totaling 1 second more over the course of 8 plays.

Those numbers do seem pretty high but then again there were a lot of times there where either a guy missed a tackle or was pushed right in front of or behind the qb that would have caused some rushed throws or some scrambling before those times hit.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #48
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
All I did was answer the OP's question.

And my post is pointless why? Because you aren't seeing what I'm seeing? As I said, I've gotten pressure from my cpu controlled teammates by using the gameplanning & defensive keys features.

If you view me sharing my experiences as pointless then so be it. And if you can't see how I can say that the pass rush isn't broken, then so be it. All I'm doing is sharing my experiences in an effort to try and help out the OP and answer his question.

I did not mean for my post to imply that your experiences or opinions are invalid. I have read many of your posts and there are well thought out and inteligent; I agree with most of what you say. I guess we disagree about the DL pressure, to me it does not resemble real college football ( CPU QB's only). I just don't want people to get the impression that a user controlled pass rush means the problem is solved. If the pass rush was accurate we would not be on here trying to devise ways to work around the core gameplay issues. A fourman rush simply does not generate enough pressure for the game to resemble the college game. Offensive lineman in college (OU and florida included) are not this good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »