Home

Why Not Develop on The PS3?

This is a discussion on Why Not Develop on The PS3? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 12
Re: Why Not Develop on The PS3?

Because the 360 is so limited in disk space, the ps3 has to suffer.
I'm guessing if they developed the games on the ps3 first, it might be too much for the 360 when they port over; so they develop on the 360 first to save form that problem.

It's not our fault the 360 has such hdd and game disk space limitations, so why should us ps3 owners suffer?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
Rookie

yanek27's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common
Then I'm curious, because honestly, I don't know. How in the world were The Show devs able to cram so much detail into their game without having the same memory issues NCAA/Madden devs have? It confuses me, especially since according to you the 360 has more internal memory.

According to Adam, it had a lot to do with memory. Something to the effect of they chose stadiums over gear or something. I could be wrong though.

I dunno, all I know is that the PS3 has proven it can support a stellar and unparalleled sports gaming experience and for reasons unknown to us, the 360 hasn't. So why not just develop NCAA and Madden on the Ps3?

I guess the only real answer out there is that its a 360 world and it doesnt matter what the PS3 can do unless it is its own title. I remember when I first got an xbox it was a ps2 world. HDDVD vs BLURAY and well not its just BLURAY. Will we ever get to the point 360 vs PS3? No...... but we only get what the 360 can produce in EA titles for both systems. What a bunch of crap.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #19
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common
Then I'm curious, because honestly, I don't know. How in the world were The Show devs able to cram so much detail into their game without having the same memory issues NCAA/Madden devs have? It confuses me, especially since according to you the 360 has more internal memory.

According to Adam, it had a lot to do with memory. Something to the effect of they chose stadiums over gear or something. I could be wrong though.

I dunno, all I know is that the PS3 has proven it can support a stellar and unparalleled sports gaming experience and for reasons unknown to us, the 360 hasn't. So why not just develop NCAA and Madden on the Ps3?
dunno, i don't work at EA or Sony, so i have no idea how they structure their games. I've heard that Sony's basketball game was terrible(i never played it, just going by what people that have played it, said about it), so obviously not every game made on PS3 is automatically better because of Blu-ray. it still takes people to actually make the game great. look at what Madden did this year, and it's still developed on the 360. as for the stadiums over gear, i think that was more of dev time than disc space.

also, there are plenty of PC games and games on 360 that are really great and still fit on 1 DVD disc. disc space is not the only factor when it comes to great games. it would be easier if the 360 did have more space, i'm not arguing that.

and I never said the 360 had more internal memory, the PS3 and 360 both have 512mb of RAM, the difference is how it is used by each. right now, the 360 has more available to the developers than the PS3, but the PS3 is getting better with every update that now they are about the same. this is really the weak point of both systems, if these consoles had 1 gig of RAM, wow, we could have really epic games.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here

Last edited by Solidice; 07-03-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #20
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

It's only a matter of time until console games start becoming two-disk construction projects much like the PC. With hard drives and equipment essentially the same as a computer, it only makes sense that in order to develop to a system's full potential that install disks and such start making their way to the market.

Obviously hard-disk space is a concern, but there are aftermarket solutions available that can now hold up to 500GB. With the PS3 apparently starting to phase out the 80GB in favor of the 120GB, this may be the direction Sony, at least, is heading.

I'm not really in favor of either PS3 or 360, I think they both have their problems, but because I do own a PS3, yes it is unfortunate that we have to deal with the 'ported' games. I doubt it will ever change because it's simply harder to develop games for the PS3. Maybe Sony will try and address these issues come the next generation of consoles.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
MVP

BROman's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striefer
Because the 360 is so limited in disk space, the ps3 has to suffer.
I'm guessing if they developed the games on the ps3 first, it might be too much for the 360 when they port over; so they develop on the 360 first to save form that problem.

It's not our fault the 360 has such hdd and game disk space limitations, so why should us ps3 owners suffer?
it is what it is. we're gonna get screwed on both ends b/c the ports from the 360 don't come close to taking advantage of the ps3's power, then when the next gen system comes out, ea will devote all of their resources to the new gen while we'll still be stuck w/ a 360 port. will ea ever actually develop a game for the ps3? i look at & play the show and can't help but wonder what could be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #22
Rookie

gogators's Arena

OVR: 4

Not to mention it is a hassle to develop on the PS3. There are major companies (one in particular Activision) has said they may stop development on the PS3 all together because of mainly the price of the machine and the difficulty of developing on the PS3. They said the sells of multiplatform games sucks compared to what they sell on the 360. I have both so I don't care, but the PS3 has amazing first party games in MLB: The Show, iNFAMOUS, Drake's Fortune, God of War. If EA could somehow match the quality of those games on a PS3, then by all means do it.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #23
Rookie

Upallnight's Arena

OVR: 3

It is a known fact that it cost more and is much more of a hassle to code on the ps3 because of the cell processor not to mention it would make little sense for devs to put in all the extra money and time to make the ps3 the leading dev platform when the system is in last place.I personally have a ps3 and 360 and even a pos wii,the ps3 is by far the superior hardware,but as we have seen before in last gen(xbox was the strongest system by far but ps2 was the king) to this gen (ps3 is strongest,wii dominates),it's not how strong the actual hardware is that decides which is the best system.When it comes to games,if you put a gun to my head and I had to choose one without a second to think I would give up the ps3 and wii and keep the 360.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #24
Chaos Theory

19's Arena

OVR: 29

IMO the argument of "the ps3 is too hard to develop for" is such weak excuse. Do these people become game programmers and then just cease learning new things? You would think there would be at least one company outside of Sony, that would want to develop solely for the PS3, because the machine's potential is definetly there. I believe if someone committed the resources to do that, there would be a lot of money to be made.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »