Home

Why Not Develop on The PS3?

This is a discussion on Why Not Develop on The PS3? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
Banned

Bigdmo9999's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Why Not Develop on The PS3?

Its not like they can't dev on the PS3 and then port to the 360. Burnout Paradise was developed on the PS3 and ported to the 360. Pretty much the PS3 version would just be less compressed. The 360 version would be the one that is a little less quality, but I'm sure its not even noticeable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #26
Rookie

gogators's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoniak
IMO the argument of "the ps3 is too hard to develop for" is such weak excuse. Do these people become game programmers and then just cease learning new things? You would think there would be at least one company outside of Sony, that would want to develop solely for the PS3, because the machine's potential is definetly there. I believe if someone committed the resources to do that, there would be a lot of money to be made.
I completely agree. Though I play the 360 more than the Wii and PS3, I still love the PS3 because of the first party titles. This is really just a moot point though. The reason the NCAA series has gone down is because of EA not the systems. The game should be better than last gen, but continually are not.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
dunno, i don't work at EA or Sony, so i have no idea how they structure their games. I've heard that Sony's basketball game was terrible(i never played it, just going by what people that have played it, said about it), so obviously not every game made on PS3 is automatically better because of Blu-ray. it still takes people to actually make the game great. look at what Madden did this year, and it's still developed on the 360. as for the stadiums over gear, i think that was more of dev time than disc space.

also, there are plenty of PC games and games on 360 that are really great and still fit on 1 DVD disc. disc space is not the only factor when it comes to great games. it would be easier if the 360 did have more space, i'm not arguing that.

and I never said the 360 had more internal memory, the PS3 and 360 both have 512mb of RAM, the difference is how it is used by each. right now, the 360 has more available to the developers than the PS3, but the PS3 is getting better with every update that now they are about the same. this is really the weak point of both systems, if these consoles had 1 gig of RAM, wow, we could have really epic games.
Best reply of the day

1 gig of RAM would totaly change games on these systems
Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
dunno, i don't work at EA or Sony, so i have no idea how they structure their games. I've heard that Sony's basketball game was terrible(i never played it, just going by what people that have played it, said about it), so obviously not every game made on PS3 is automatically better because of Blu-ray. it still takes people to actually make the game great. look at what Madden did this year, and it's still developed on the 360. as for the stadiums over gear, i think that was more of dev time than disc space.

also, there are plenty of PC games and games on 360 that are really great and still fit on 1 DVD disc. disc space is not the only factor when it comes to great games. it would be easier if the 360 did have more space, i'm not arguing that.

and I never said the 360 had more internal memory, the PS3 and 360 both have 512mb of RAM, the difference is how it is used by each. right now, the 360 has more available to the developers than the PS3, but the PS3 is getting better with every update that now they are about the same. this is really the weak point of both systems, if these consoles had 1 gig of RAM, wow, we could have really epic games.
Sony's basketball title isn't good. However that's irrelevant as we've seen what can be done when a solid amount of effort is put into creating a great sports title.

As hard as they've tried to make Madden better, it still doesn't appear as if it can touch The Show. Amazing considering Madden's in it's "10" cycle, and The Show is still "09".

I honestly don't believe 1 gig of ram is necessary for an epic game. The PS3 and 360 have produced epic games, PS3 more so, but that's just my opinion. I'm not a tech expert or anything close, but from what I've seen, the Ps3 is the more capable system. Someone just needs to try developing on it.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators
I completely agree. Though I play the 360 more than the Wii and PS3, I still love the PS3 because of the first party titles. This is really just a moot point though. The reason the NCAA series has gone down is because of EA not the systems. The game should be better than last gen, but continually are not.
According to the devs, the systems or memory are the part of the reason the games are lacking. They can only put o much into the game.... their words, not my own.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #30
Rookie

ak1knight's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoniak
IMO the argument of "the ps3 is too hard to develop for" is such weak excuse. Do these people become game programmers and then just cease learning new things? You would think there would be at least one company outside of Sony, that would want to develop solely for the PS3, because the machine's potential is definetly there. I believe if someone committed the resources to do that, there would be a lot of money to be made.
Why learn something new when you don't have to? Nobody wants to develop for one system any more (except for first party of course) because you're basically cutting out half the market. You can see it when FFXIII and MGS are coming to 360. There's not money in non-multiplat because this gen's consoles have sold much worse than the PS2 did. When you're developing multi-plat why not use the easiest system to work with and then not have to compress everything or find out at the end that your game is too big?
Old 07-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #31
Rookie

ak1knight's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdmo9999
Its not like they can't dev on the PS3 and then port to the 360. Burnout Paradise was developed on the PS3 and ported to the 360. Pretty much the PS3 version would just be less compressed. The 360 version would be the one that is a little less quality, but I'm sure its not even noticeable.
So... what was the advantage? If they still had to make the game fit on a DVD than they obviously couldn't fill a bluray disk, let alone use the PS3 to it's "full potential".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #32
Banned

Bigdmo9999's Arena

OVR: 46

In a perfect world, the NCAA would have a license like the MLB has, so that would mean Sony could in fact make their own exclusive game. I can't imagine how awesome that game would be. They could pick up some of the best announcers out there (obviously not in ESPN). I'm sure their made up channel for presenting the game would be awesome. They could team up with 2K and collaborate on somethings. Oh it would be football gaming heaven. EA wouldn't even have to put NCAA out for the PS3 because it wouldn't sell at all.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »